This Is Why The NHL Is Dead/Lemieux under attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
bling said:
It is just as feasable to presume that the NHL Owners called the meeting as is is to assume it was the NHLPA.
According to Linden (just watched an interview with him), he said the NHL called him and asked for the meeting. Linden then called his brass and they went to the meeting.

Both sides then proceeded to sit there and say, "well?" and nobody had anything to say. Both sides expected the other side to do something. Linden acknowledged that the owners were expecting an offer due to what they were told by someone, but it wasnt Linden who said an offer was coming.

Just watched another report and it said Pronger and Iginla (and someone else) were chastised for circumventing the union and tring to deal with the NHL themselves. So I guess it could it could be inferred that they told the NHL about the "offer", then the NHL called the meeting and nothing was resolved.

Iginla and Pronger then apologized and said they realized that they werent helping the process. Weird.

I'm not sure how Wayne and Mario fit into all this though.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
kdb209 said:
And you seem to be the only person who beleives this. And I guess we'll take your word over Wayne's and Mario's.

Nope. The league already gave their final offer and officially canceled the F***ing season. Do you really think they would then come back 3 days later and say "Never Mind".

Look back at all the stories - the THN story that started this mess, Panger's reports on ESPN, TSN, etc, they all reported sources ON THE PLAYERS' SIDE as saying a deal was possible / imminent / agreed in principle / done deal. Now maybe they werent "official" NHLPA sources, but they were on the players side. I dare you to find one story leading up to the Saturday meeting (other than press releases from Goodenow / Saskin about how the League invited them because we asked them to) that says that the meeting was triggered by a request from the owners.

Why would Wayne or Mario risk the damage to their reputations and public embarassment by doing so.

Trent Klatt, on the other hand, who the F*** cares about his reputation.

I really hate feeding the trolls, but what color is the sky on your world.

I am certain that Trent Klatt cares a great deal about his reputation. How very Markus Naslund like of you to trash Trent Klatt while exalting Mario and Wayne.

Thus far no one has given me any reason to believe Mario or Wayne over Trent, other than the fact that Wayne and Mario are Owners I see no reason to assume their reputations are more valuable to them than Trent Klatt's is to him.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Wetcoaster said:
We were comparing individual players - not teams. LA had other problems such losing Deadmarsh and Allison to concussions. Not many teams can lose their top forwards and compete.

My view is that signing May instead of Klatt was a mistake. For the same money you could get a better defensive player with more offensive upside who can play as tough without taking needless penalties.

A bad decision by Burkie - just one in long line.

Again you are avoiding the issue. May is a middle weight, Klatt is not. Apples and oranges.

Would Klatt score more points? Yes.
Is Klatt a better all round hockey player? Yes.

How well would Klatt fight Worrell?
How well would Klatt fight Reed Low?
How well would Klatt fight Laraque?

bling

Jun 23, 2004
Cawz said:
According to Linden (just watched an interview with him), he said the NHL called him and asked for the meeting. Linden then called his brass and they went to the meeting.

Both sides then proceeded to sit there and say, "well?" and nobody had anything to say. Both sides expected the other side to do something. Linden acknowledged that the owners were expecting an offer due to what they were told by someone, but it wasnt Linden who said an offer was coming.

Just watched another report and it said Pronger and Iginla (and someone else) were chastised for circumventing the union and tring to deal with the NHL themselves. So I guess it could it could be inferred that they told the NHL about the "offer", then the NHL called the meeting and nothing was resolved.

Iginla and Pronger then apologized and said they realized that they werent helping the process. Weird.

I'm not sure how Wayne and Mario fit into all this though.

Hmmm, there seems to be others who have read and heard things similar to what I have been saying...but of course your answer will be Trevor Linden is also a huge liar.....

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Wetcoaster said:
We were comparing individual players - not teams. LA had other problems such losing Deadmarsh and Allison to concussions. Not many teams can lose their top forwards and compete.

My view is that signing May instead of Klatt was a mistake. For the same money you could get a better defensive player with more offensive upside who can play as tough without taking needless penalties.

A bad decision by Burkie - just one in long line.

Again you are avoiding the issue. May is a middle weight, Klatt is not. Apples and oranges.

Would Klatt score more points? Yes.
Is Klatt a better all round hockey player? Yes.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
bling said:
Hmmm, there seems to be others who have read and heard things similar to what I have been saying...but of course your answer will be Trevor Linden is also a huge liar.....
My answer?

My answer is nobody is lying. Whoever contacted the league and said they had an offer (mabye it was discussed in a PA meeting and some players got a bit overzealous and talked to the league) seems to have set off a chain of misunderstandings.

But for Klatt to say...
"I don't know, maybe to create turmoil, to get guys to question us. They know for a fact that we weren't coming with a new proposal and for them to assume we were, someone gave them some bad information or they're throwing something out there for the sake of throwing something out there. That's them dropping information in the media trying to get us to do something."
is ridiculas.

If he said the un-bolded part, fine. But to suggest the rest is very disrespectful to everyone involved with hockey.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
Cawz said:
My answer?

My answer is nobody is lying. Whoever contacted the league and said they had an offer (mabye it was discussed in a PA meeting and some players got a bit overzealous and talked to the league) seems to have set off a chain of misunderstandings.

But for Klatt to say...
"I don't know, maybe to create turmoil, to get guys to question us. They know for a fact that we weren't coming with a new proposal and for them to assume we were, someone gave them some bad information or they're throwing something out there for the sake of throwing something out there. That's them dropping information in the media trying to get us to do something."
is ridiculas.

If he said the un-bolded part, fine. But to suggest the rest is very disrespectful to everyone involved with hockey.

Why is it bs and disrespectful for Trent Klatt to wonder outloud what possible motivation Mario and Wayne had for saying they expected the PA to make an offer? I really can not fathom why so many of you buy in to the cult of Wayne and Mario, you seem to think they are beyond any possible human foibles.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
bling said:
Why is it bs and disrespectful for Trent Klatt to wonder outloud what possible motivation Mario and Wayne had for saying they expected the PA to make an offer? I really can not fathom why so many of you buy in to the cult of Wayne and Mario, you seem to think they are beyond any possible human foibles.
Because 3 members of the PA were chastised for circumventing the union and trying to deal with the NHL themselves. Do you think mabye its possible that they told Mario and Wayne about the "offer", thus causing the meeting to be called. They apoloigized to the union today (at gunpoint, most likely) and said they realize that they werent helping the process.

Put 2 and 2 together man. Think. Wayne and Mario arguably care more about hockey than anyone else involved. Do you think they would pull **** to hurt the process?

Edit: Heres a quote from Sportsnet: "There was reports that Roenick and several other players moved independently in a bid to get a solution. Linden said while their intentions were good, it had not helped."

"I don't think it was helpful to the process. It probably sent, and it's unfortunate, the wrong message to the other side but at the same time their intentions were to help the process."

I thought they said Iginla and Pronger as well on the tele.

Last edited:

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
bling said:

Why? Because if you turned it around and Wayne and/or Mario said that the PA did this to divide the owners would be just as ridiculous to suggest and they would be hammered as well. It is not that people don't agree that a misunderstanding happened it is the comments and his other comments on the motives that are a big problem. The owners are not assuming why things happened the way they did (Bettman was asked in an interview but refused to speculate). Remember what ASSUME means...The PA should keep their speculations to themselves and not try and embrass the two top players in the last 25 years. This does nothing to further their cause...which is to get back to playing hockey! At least this is what I thought...

Mountain Dude

bling said:
I am certain that Trent Klatt cares a great deal about his reputation.

He shouldn't, because he just flushed it down the toilet.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Cawz said:
Because 3 members of the PA were chastised for circumventing the union and trying to deal with the NHL themselves. Do you think mabye its possible that they told Mario and Wayne about the "offer", thus causing the meeting to be called. They apoloigized to the union today (at gunpoint, most likely) and said they realize that they werent helping the process.

Put 2 and 2 together man. Think. Wayne and Mario arguably care more about hockey than anyone else involved. Do you think they would pull **** to hurt the process?

Edit: Heres a quote from Sportsnet: "There was reports that Roenick and several other players moved independently in a bid to get a solution. Linden said while their intentions were good, it had not helped."

"I don't think it was helpful to the process. It probably sent, and it's unfortunate, the wrong message to the other side but at the same time their intentions were to help the process."

What seems to be missing is why the players thought the NHLPA was OK with the deal. Its very unlikely the players wouldn't have run the deal past union management, which is what the union management is claiming. So we are expected to believe 3 players pulled off this entire stunt without the union being informed or giving approval. If that is the case then Bob "Colonel Klink" Goodenow, Ted 'Sgt Schultz" Saskins and Trevor "Helga" Linden should get the sack for incompetence, and the players should get kicked out of the union for running a scam.

Daly: Welcome to the meeting Ted. How is that offer coming along?

Saskins: Vhut offer? I know nuthingk, nuthinnk.

Last edited:

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Cawz said:

this seems to be what probably happened... and Klatts statemtents were before the meeting yesterday i think so maybe he did not know the whole situation..

my main beef with bling is that he thinks Wayne and Mario care more about their $$$ than their love of HOCKEY... you are very wrong to think that. Do some research, watch the old interviews and the new, and make up your mind about these men then. Dont assume because they are owners.

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
dakota said:
this seems to be what probably happened... and Klatts statemtents were before the meeting yesterday i think so maybe he did not know the whole situation..
So Klatt ran his mouth off about two hockey legends' motives before he had all the facts? I don't see how that is any better, but I highly doubt Klatt is out of the loop.

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
kolanos said:
So Klatt ran his mouth off about two hockey legends' motives before he had all the facts? I don't see how that is any better, but I highly doubt Klatt is out of the loop.

im just guessing... i dont know if he had a chance to personally talk with Pronger, Iginla or Roenick before their meetings yesterday... I wish some reporter would ask him about what he said yesterday... One would assume he would be in the loop, but based on past history with the exectuive it makes me wonder about their internal "communication".

SENSible1*

dakota said:
im just guessing... i dont know if he had a chance to personally talk with Pronger, Iginla or Roenick before their meetings yesterday... I wish some reporter would ask him about what he said yesterday... One would assume he would be in the loop, but based on past history with the exectuive it makes me wonder about their internal "communication".
Klatt is part of the executive. It is unlikely he was "out of the loop."

Shark Attack

Mar 15, 2002
Visit site
bling said:
As I have stated before, I have read that The NHL invited Mario and Wayne at the behest of the NHLPA..

Please provide a link, because I have not found that to be the case.

bling said:
It is not any less likely that the NHL would have put an offer on the table than the NHLPA. Both had claimed to have made their last proposal. From Wednesday to Friday there was purported to be a lot of possible player/owner private discussions that were rumored to have resulted in the "agreement in principal" on the $45 million cap. It is just as feasable to presume that the NHL Owners called the meeting as is is to assume it was the NHLPA..

It is feasible and you may believe what you want

bling said:
As far as who is being untruthful in the matter of Mario/Wayne vs. Trent Klatt, I am sorry that I do not worship your hockey gods. Any of the three is as likely as another to misrepresent the truth for personal advantage. .

I disagree, I do not consider anyone a hockey "god", Lemieux and Gretzky have done a lot more for hockey than 3rd liner Trent Klatt.

bling said:
Call me all the names you like but that will not change the fact that you are putting your own emotionally charged presumptions of sainthood for Mario and Wayne ahead of rational thought.

Show me where I have called you a name, and I am not emotional about this at all.

Wetcoaster

me2 said:
Better than May.

Trent Klatt is a graduate of the Tim Horton school of fighting given his strength - he just wraps up the other player. End of fight.

Tinordi24*

Wetcoaster said:
Better than May.

Trent Klatt is a graduate of the Tim Horton school of fighting given his strength - he just wraps up the other player. End of fight.

:speechles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad