This Is Why The NHL Is Dead/Lemieux under attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I cant believe this ''who invited who '' nonsense is still being bandied about in the media .

shut up and start working on a deal

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
bling said:
To be "told by some of the players" is nothing more than heresay and presumption on Mario and Waynes part. I have no doubt that a lot of rumor and innuendo was flying in the time frame of Wednesday thru Saturday of that fateful week.

Because they were led to believe that the players were going to make a proposal does not mean they were told that by the NHLPA negotiating committee. It is just as likely to have come from the NHL Owners group based on their own inaccurate and arrogant assumptions.
Again man, how do you know this to be the fact when they have said otherwise?

Snydley Whiplash*

nobody from the NHLPA ever said they wanted to try and bridge the gap
in the cap. As wanker the whiner(gretzky) said himself that day, he "assumed" that is what was to be discussed but he was never actually told that. The story has evolved since then to where it is unrecognizable now, but the facts remain.

Phanuthier*

Chuck Shick said:
When you have the Trent Klatt's of this league calling Lemieux and Gretzky liars in the media you know it's over. If you think ugly was February 16th wait until you see complete and total devastation. The NHL is GONE gang, we should find another league to follow or hope a new league evolves maybe a new WHA maybe a World League. There will never be any give by either side on this ever.

Toronto Star Article Today by Ken Campbell:

"When asked why Lemieux would say that he was told the players would be making an offer, Klatt said, "I don't know, maybe to create turmoil, to get guys to question us. They know for a fact that we weren't coming with a new proposal and for them to assume we were, someone gave them some bad information or they're throwing something out there for the sake of throwing something out there. That's them dropping information in the media trying to get us to do something."
Gee, who to listen to... Mario Lemieux or Trent Klatt... thats a tough one...

Klatt talks like people actually care what he has to say.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Snydley Whiplash said:
nobody from the NHLPA ever said they wanted to try and bridge the gap
in the cap. As wanker the whiner(gretzky) said himself that day, he "assumed" that is what was to be discussed but he was never actually told that. The story has evolved since then to where it is unrecognizable now, but the facts remain.
Words from Mario's own mouth:

"The only way that Wayne and I would have gotten involved is because we believed there was a new proposal coming from the Players' Association," Lemieux said. "We were told by some of the players we were talking to that there would be a new proposal on the table at the $45 [million] level."

Case closed.

Snydley Whiplash*

exactly, they "BELIEVED" that was what was happening, they were not TOLD that was happening, :shakehead

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Snydley Whiplash said:
exactly, they "BELIEVED" that was what was happening, they were not TOLD that was happening, :shakehead

Curious you joined the boards today Mr McCabe, uhh Whiplash.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
Splatman Phanutier said:
Gee, who to listen to... Mario Lemieux or Trent Klatt... thats a tough one...

Klatt talks like people actually care what he has to say.

For those of you who worship at the Temple of Mario and Wayne, I am sure it is clear cut whom you believe. For those of us who recognize them as just two more members of Ownership then it is obvious what their agenda is.

Quite frankly I do not see any evidence to proclaim anyone involved a liar. Trent Klatt suggests they were mislead, Wayne and Mario admit to making assumptions based on what "some players" led them to believe.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
bling said:
For those of you who worship at the Temple of Mario and Wayne, I am sure it is clear cut whom you believe. For those of us who recognize them as just two more members of Ownership then it is obvious what their agenda is.

Quite frankly I do not see any evidence to proclaim anyone involved a liar. Trent Klatt suggests they were mislead, Wayne and Mario admit to making assumptions based on what "some players" led them to believe.
:banghead:

Phanuthier*

bling said:

Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzkey were called by the NHLPA

Yeah... its obvious what their agenda is alright.

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
bling said:

Here is a clip from an article.. bottom line is they were misled to believe that they were going to the meeting expecting a proposal from the NHLPA... if you think Gretzky would favor his stake in the Coyotes over his LOVE FOR THE GAME OF HOCKEY and the NHL... you obviously do not know what he stands for.

He was there without an agenda and was asked by the NHLPA to be there for those reasons... and to be blindsided was a disgrace to those players who invited him... (see Shane Doan, Linden and Iginla).

February 23, 2005

NEW YORK - Wayne Gretzky says he is not mad, just disappointed.

Hockey legends Gretzky and Mario Lemieux were unable to broker a deal to end the NHL lockout, with the Great One telling the New York Post that the NHL Players' Association never even discussed a salary cap number at a Saturday meeting.

Gretzky, who confirmed he and Lemieux had been invited to the meeting by the NHLPA, said the league side expected the players to present a proposal that would include a salary cap number they'd be willing to accept.

"Mario and I believed our role was going to be to do what we could to help the players get to the number that was going to get a deal done," Gretzky told the Post. "Gary (Bettman) never told me or led me to believe (the NHL) was coming to the meeting with a new proposal, or had committed to raising the hard cap number from the previous $42.5 million (U.S.). Gary never told me the league was prepared to go to $45 million.

"I wasn't there to negotiate, and neither was Mario. That wasn't our role. You have to remember, this wasn't the NHL's meeting. If Gary had wanted to call another meeting, he would have done it Wednesday morning before he announced cancellation of the season.

SENSible1*

bling said:
Let's take a step back here. Who actually invited Mario and Wayne? It was the Owners group who did so at the behest of the NHLPA. So logically it would seem that the NHL Owners group said to Mario and Wayne. "The NHPLA is ready to cave and has asked that you there to witness it or perhaps even lend some credence to the proceedings." Now to me that is the bad info that those guys recieved.

Who is then responsible for misleading Mario and Wayne? Sounds like the NHL Owners group to me!

Trent Klatt was correct in saying they were misled.

Except that Mario claimed he talked directly to players who told him that a new offer was coming. The info was not second hand from the league, but directly from PA members.

When Goodenow re-established control, he took the opportunity to stab Mario and Wayne in the back for talking to unhappy members of the PA and attempting to reach a compromise deal with the NHL.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Union now attacking Mario . . . accuses him of bad info or lying to create rift

Lemieux under attack from union
Pens owner tried to create rift
Flyers' Clarke takes a shot at Goodenow

KEN CAMPBELL
SPORTS REPORTER

A member of the NHL Players' Association's executive committee suggested yesterday that Pittsburgh Penguins owner and star Mario Lemieux tried to turn the players against union leadership on the eve of their first meeting since the season was cancelled.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...le&cid=1109631011201&call_pageid=970599119419

bling

Jun 23, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
Except that Mario claimed he talked directly to players who told him that a new offer was coming. The info was not second hand from the league, but directly from PA members.

When Goodenow re-established control, he took the opportunity to stab Mario and Wayne in the back for talking to unhappy members of the PA and attempting to reach a compromise deal with the NHL.

Again..the "some players" thing. I have no doubt that some players did feel as you have stated. But they were not the ones that were charged with making those decisions.

Your assumptions, stated as fact, regarding Goodenow's punishment of Mario and Wayne is quite laughable too. Those guys are Owners, how is anything Bob says or does going to be considered punishment to them?

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
So now you want to say Mario either lied.. or had no clue what he was talking about...

:lol

Good Grief..

This mess ain't ever getting solved at this rate!

:mad:

Is the PA attempting to get EVERY hockey fan pissed at them? I mean they have already pissed of a good chunk of the comunity..

:madfire:

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
Jaded-Fan said:
Lemieux under attack from union
Pens owner tried to create rift
Flyers' Clarke takes a shot at Goodenow
It's pretty bad when a newspaper can't even keep its bias out of the headlines.

One would think that the first line should be:
"Lemieux under attack from Klatt"

Or the last line should be:
"League takes a shot at Goodenow"

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
bling said:
Again..the "some players" thing. I have no doubt that some players did feel as you have stated. But they were not the ones that were charged with making those decisions.

Your assumptions, stated as fact, regarding Goodenow's punishment of Mario and Wayne is quite laughable too. Those guys are Owners, how is anything Bob says or does going to be considered punishment to them?

Regardless of which players spoke with Mario or Wayne its the players problems and not the NHLs or Mario or Waynes. By dragging them into they look childish and silly. It is easier to blame them than to look at their PA group, which is what they should be doing.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
"If the owners came to us and said, `We'll give you a cap of $60 million,' I guarantee you there would be guys saying, `Why did they do that? It's still a cap.'" Sorry Mr. Mckee thats BULL **** YOU ****ING MORON!

:mad:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I highly doubt

bling said:

Mario and Gretzky would put at risk all their friends amongst the players to make the "owners" a couple million dollars more profit a year.

Give your head a shake!!

Why would they do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad