GDT: This is where it gets better, right?

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I don't listen to Ovies and Giglio often, but back in January when someone here posted that Giglio came right out and said "Aho will not sign a new contract here, no matter what", I went back and listened the segment and that's not what was said. Here's the synopsis I posted back then:

What was said by Ovies was essentially that Dundon does not like to pay for long term, high dollar contracts for a players on that 2nd deal (meaning after the first high dollar deal) when they are in that 28 year old range. A direct quote: "He doesn't want to overpay for players that are going to be older soon than later" Something we all know.

Giglio then asked if he thought his Ovies neighbor (Aho) will take a discount to stay and Ovies said, no-way.

Direct quote from Giglio: "Do you think that when Sebastian Aho's contract comes up after the 23/24 season,
do you think he's going to be inclined to stay here and take some sort of hometown discount and play here"

Ovies says "No, I will see a for sale sign"(at his house).

Gilgio then asks is there a move that can be made there (ie...trading Aho), and Ovies says no.

So the context is that if Dundon isn't going give out high dollar, long-term deals, Aho won't take a discount to play here and will be gone. That's not new news. If Dundon doesn't change the approach of not giving market value to players 28+, then Aho (and Pesce, and Skjei and maybe even Slavin) will move on.

If that episode is where the Ovies/Giglio say "Aho won't be re-signed" notion is coming from now, it's missing a lot of context. If there are other segments where they've said it differently, then I won't comment on them as I haven't listened to them.

I have agreed with their view for some time that our window is shorter than some on this board think it is. With Aho, TT, Pesce and Skjei all being UFAs after next season, the window will 100% depend on what they do with those players. I don't view Aho, Slavin, etc.. as slam dunk signings like some do, but I'm not fretting over it either.

I'm fairly certain it's Ovies that's his neighbor.
After the shorter window discussion, which I find kinda strange given the business relationship the broadcast has with the Canes, Ovies said he thought the Aho negotiations needed to start this summer. This was after he and AG had talked about how the “winning the contract” was most to important to the Canes regardless of the player. Both admitted that while they interact with TD a bit, they felt he’s wrong about this particular tactic.

He also said he’d asked for time off in June and his boss there said “well who will cover the playoffs” and they both had a big laugh about it like no need to worry.

Reactions: Rick Davis

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
While we can't blame management for Svech's injury, being able to get Patches for nothing should have raised red flags and they knew he was a high-probability injury risk, so I denounce them for adding him while letting Trocheck and Nino walk.
I'm fairly certain that the bigger reason for Patches being available for nothing is that Vegas had no choice because they had to shed cap space. Certainly his age/injury history played a role as well, but he had a 10 team NTC and a $7M cap hit. Not a lot of teams could take that on.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
After the shorter window discussion, which I find kinda strange given the business relationship the broadcast has with the Canes, Ovies said he thought the Aho negotiations needed to start this summer. This was after he and AG had talked about how the “winning the contract” was most to important to the Canes regardless of the player. Both admitted that while they interact with TD a bit, they felt he’s wrong about this particular tactic.
I tend to agree with them. It's fine to want to "win the contract" on non core players, but I'm not sure it's a good approach for star/core players. I guess we'll find out.
He also said he’d asked for time off in June and his boss there said “well who will cover the playoffs” and they both had a big laugh about it like no need to worry.
I know they are firing for effect, but I get it. Getting out of the 1st round was going to be a challenge to begin with. Getting out of the 2nd round would be even tougher. Getting past Boston (or whoever beats them in the Atlantic) would be exceedingly difficult. It's been made even more difficult without Svech. I don't make any conclusions in radio personalities reflecting that. We are a very good team in a time when we have a bunch of very good teams in the east.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
You never know what can happen.

Just look at the Habs team that went to the finals a couple seasons ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad