Speculation: This is what is considered hockey coverage now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
That is the problem with the media in Toronto they need to be heard, viewed or seen and how do they outbest their colleagues or competing foes.

They have to go all tabloid journalism as that is what sells and people want to see or read. It is the same with all type of celebs. We want to see their failings as we are jealous they are famous, making tons of money and we are stuck in middle class. That is society in general and hockey is no difference hence why TMZ is so popular.

I was in Tampa area before the holidays and they were in a mini skid not playing that well. You know how hard it is to find hockey news in that area? They are on the 4th page in the papers behind 2 full pages of high school sports and the TV station has it the 4th story on the sportscast and barely a blip.

You think a guy like Stamkos wants to come here and have to deal with the media asking idiotic questions or say Stamkos goes into a 10 game goaless drought there will be articles, phone in shows, 30 minute specials into what is wrong with Stamkos and how he is not a team player and doesn't play the right way.

It has been like that for 50 years in Toronto and only worse now with the advent of the internet, social media and dedicated sports stations.

Bluejaysfan*

That is the problem with the media in Toronto they need to be heard, viewed or seen and how do they outbest their colleagues or competing foes.

They have to go all tabloid journalism as that is what sells and people want to see or read. It is the same with all type of celebs. We want to see their failings as we are jealous they are famous, making tons of money and we are stuck in middle class. That is society in general and hockey is no difference hence why TMZ is so popular.

I was in Tampa area before the holidays and they were in a mini skid not playing that well. You know how hard it is to find hockey news in that area? They are on the 4th page in the papers behind 2 full pages of high school sports and the TV station has it the 4th story on the sportscast and barely a blip.

You think a guy like Stamkos wants to come here and have to deal with the media asking idiotic questions or say Stamkos goes into a 10 game goaless drought there will be articles, phone in shows, 30 minute specials into what is wrong with Stamkos and how he is not a team player and doesn't play the right way.

It has been like that for 50 years in Toronto and only worse now with the advent of the internet, social media and dedicated sports stations.

It's like that in the NFL with the Cowboys, MLB with the Yankees, Redsox and the NBA with the Knicks, Lakers and whatever team Lebron plays on...what's your point? Some stars can handle and thrive in the media scrutiny (Jeter, Kobe, Lebron) and some can't. I don't ever see media scrutiny being a problem in other sports, why hockey? For all the talk about hockey athletes being so tough, they seem to be the biggest whiners when it comes to constant media attention.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Do you think he is trying sensationalism by listing Kadri,Bernier,Franson,Reimer,Winnik and Santorelli as lesser deals of lesser talented players or is he wanting to look like the knob he came off as! I laughed pretty good when I hit that part.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Do you think he is trying sensationalism by listing Kadri,Bernier,Franson,Reimer,Winnik and Santorelli as lesser deals of lesser talented players or is he wanting to look like the knob he came off as! I laughed pretty good when I hit that part.

I am talking in general with the Toronto media. This guy does an OK job t

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I am talking in general with the Toronto media. This guy does an OK job t

Yeah no kidding he does ok too. The kind of minimization of our talent is funny but holy frig it looks pretty stupid. Glad I'm not paying him.

Mr Lahey

Oct 25, 2008
Yeah no kidding he does ok too. The kind of minimization of our talent is funny but holy frig it looks pretty stupid. Glad I'm not paying him.

I think you're misreading. It says, "If any trade deadline deals are to be made, they’ll likely involve lesser-talented players, those who are pending free agents or on a short-term deal."

He doesn't specify which player falls into each category.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Wow everyone. What a pile of junk this guy peddles from the hockey news. Read who he listed as lesser talents that the leafs would likely be moving in trades. I honestly know this guy is completely out of touch with the game. Without further ado.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-trade-winds-blowing-after-leafs-fire-carlyle/

Unreal disconnect at the hockey news seems to be happening. Lol.

Discuss and have fun with it.

That is not at all what was said. Kadri and Bernier for example are not lesser talented but their contracts are expiring.

hey’ll likely involve lesser-talented players, those who are pending free agents or on a short-term deal

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

umless stamkos completley forgets how to play hockey he wont be goaless for 10 games often as well as being a hard work well fit 8 milion dollar player
he ll come to toronto if he chooses ........phil the thrill resigned here ,no one held a gun to his head ,now he has to man up and lead ,last i heard stamkos has never been accused of of not being a team player ,a leader and well fit athlete .......
kessel has been whispered about since boston days ,,,,,,,,:yo:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I haven't read the Hockey News in many many years, it;s quality has gone down hill for a while, but I did read this article and as pointed out above it's a reading comprehension issue.

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
I think certain fans have been reading bad journalism for so long that they've become waaaaaay too sensitive to anything critical written about the team. I do not really see anything wrong with this article. Certainly not thread-worthy anyway.

A month ago, even though the team was playing below average yet winning, they were praised by everyone in the media. Now that they are playing like crap and treated as such, people are getting upset.

It would be laughable if it wasn't so scary how easily influenced certain people's emotions are based on other people's opinions.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011

No it hasn't been like that for 50 years. Only for about the last 20 or so. The Leafs during the later stages of the Ballard era and into the early 90's were NOT the be all and end all of sports in town. Those 80's teams were atrocious, and while they had a loyal following, it wasn't nearly as rabid as it became after the Fletcher/Gilmour era. The Blue Jays, and yes...the Argos...all shared the media sports spotlight pretty evenly with the Leafs. The pendulum swung after the Baseball strike when the Jays began to slip, the CFL became all but irrelevant in the GTA, and MLSE began to REALLY market the team and the brand. But you are right. I think Stamkos knows full well the spotlight that would be on him should be decide to land here. I can't see him giving up that cushy Tampa lifestyle to be eaten by Toronto media wolves. Especially now that Stevie Y. has turned them into a solid, on ice product (the off ice problems are another story).

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Generally speaking, people are so used to horrible sports journalism in Toronto that it develops two kinds of extremes -

1. Those who think asking 'hard questions' include questions like 'are you hard to coach' or contacting one's mother to receive a medical diagnosis.

2. Those who think that anything critical is automatically 'haters gonna hate' mentality.

There aren't many Toronto sports journalists that take the journalism part seriously but they aren't ALL bad.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Stamkos would be a God here. Leafs don't have the cap space for him.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If you want to discuss various points made in articles, go for it.

But the forum exists to talk about hockey, not about whether we like the journalists that cover it. I don't think we need an entire thread devoted to how terrible an article or journalist is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad