This is weird. Kasparaitis gifted his series-winning stick and puck to ... Alex Ovechkin

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Probably because they are both Russian.
Could have given it to you know Geno. He is Russian as well, and just happens to play for Pens too. I dont even know why he would just give it up though. I am sure Pens would have found a spot for it somewhere in the arena along with other memorabilia if he really wanted to get rid of it that badly.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Could have given it to you know Geno. He is Russian as well, and just happens to play for Pens too. I dont even know why he would just give it up though. I am sure Pens would have found a spot for it somewhere in the arena along with other memorabilia if he really wanted to get rid of it that badly.
Well, maybe Kasp and Ovie are close? Outside of NHL these guys have different allegiances like everyone else.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Why would AO care about this? This is the most inconsequential thing I've seen here. I'm only responding to it out of utter disbelief that this matters in any way to anyone ever. lol

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

He is giving it to Ovechkin as a good luck charm to beat Gretzky’s record.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He is giving it to Ovechkin as a good luck charm to beat Gretzky’s record.
My guess is it won't matter one bit, just my own personal theory. But if he doesn't get the record, which I doubt he gets, he can blame DK when things go south I guess.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think I learned a while ago that NHL Players aren't as fan oriented of the cities they play for as some fans would think. Kasper giving that to his friend is probably an honor for both. I don't think they even look at Pittsburgh/Caps like it was a thing. When Ovy retires he will be probably the best pure goal scorer ever. One of the best Russian players ever. The honor of being a "Capital" probably drops off significantly.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think I learned a while ago that NHL Players aren't as fan oriented of the cities they play for as some fans would think. Kasper giving that to his friend is probably an honor for both. I don't think they even look at Pittsburgh/Caps like it was a thing. When Ovy retires he will be probably the best pure goal scorer ever. One of the best Russian players ever. The honor of being a "Capital" probably drops off significantly.
Bossy and Mario were far more prolific snipers than AO as it pertains to GPG. Different eras to be sure. But AO didn't have the clutch and grab that Mario experienced. Top five maybe, but not the best, no.

RussianRifle27

Dec 3, 2007
I'm not puzzled he gave it to a guy from a rival team because no one cares about that outside of fans. But why would he give it to a future hall of famer with such an abundance of trophies and accolades to begin with. Kasparaitis can't have very many mementos from his playing career. This is like a guy who works at sheetz donating his paycheck to bill gates.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm not puzzled he gave it to a guy from a rival team because no one cares about that outside of fans. But why would he give it to a future hall of famer with such an abundance of trophies and accolades to begin with. Kasparaitis can't have very many mementos from his playing career. This is like a guy who works at sheetz donating his paycheck to bill gates.
lol Yeah, that's kinda how I viewed it as well. DK maybe trying to draw some attention to himself.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Bossy and Mario were far more prolific snipers than AO as it pertains to GPG. Different eras to be sure. But AO didn't have the clutch and grab that Mario experienced. Top five maybe, but not the best, no.

Not trying to throw this off, but my point still stands. I think Ovy is one of the GOAT scorers.

GOAT players: Mario/Wayne
Greatest goal scorer: Ovy

My top 10 GOAT players:
1a/b: Mario/Wayne
3: Orr
4: Sid
5. Jagr
6. Hasek
7. Howe
8. Geno/Ovy
10. Lidstrom

Idk... I have my own shit. :laugh:

Reactions: Tweed

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not trying to throw this off, but my point still stands. I think Ovy is one of the GOAT scorers.

GOAT players: Mario/Wayne
Greatest goal scorer: Ovy

My top 10 GOAT players:
1a/b: Mario/Wayne
3: Orr
4: Sid
5. Jagr
6. Hasek
7. Howe
8. Geno/Ovy
10. Lidstrom

Idk... I have my own shit. :laugh:
Ovy's proficiency in ensuing years is likely to diminish as well. Just to put this in proper context Mario and Bossy averaged 60 goals per season for their entire careers. And considering Lemieux played well after his prime (40 yrs old) that's astonishing. He missed so many prime years. If not it wouldn't be close.
Bossy would be in there as well in my top 10. Mario/Wayne as GOAT, definitely. Orr, Jagr, Geno, Sid, AO, Howe, Lidstrom and probably Forsberg would be in my top 10-12

Last edited:
Reactions: Khelandros

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ovy's proficiency in ensuing years is likely to diminish as well. Just to put this in proper context Mario and Bossy averaged 60 goals per season for their entire careers. And considering Lemieux played well after his prime (40 yrs old) that's astonishing. He missed so many prime years. If not it wouldn't be close.
Bossy would be in there as well in my top 10. Mario/Wayne as GOAT, definitely. Orr, Jagr, Geno, Sid, AO, Howe, Lidstrom and probably Forsberg would be in my top 10-12

Ovechkin has led the league in goal scoring more than any other player. I don’t know why we have to say anything other than he is the best goal scorer in the league.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The players that struck the most fear in me from opposing teams were Bossy, Potvin, Patrick Roy,Tim Kerr, Lindros, Gretzky, Kurri, Scott Stevens, Forsberg, Lafontaine and AO.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Ovechkin has led the league in goal scoring more than any other player. I don’t know why we have to say anything other than he is the best goal scorer in the league.
Currently maybe, but not the best of all time.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Considering Lemieux missed 3 solid years in his prime. Came back and still produced. If he had played those 3 seasons, minus lets say 36 games missed over those three seasons. He was scoring at .45 goals per game once he came back. This would add an additional 94 goals to his total, making him the #3 goal scorer in NHL history. Still would only get him to 1125 games played, so 25 games less than Ovechkin has right now, but with 78 more goals.
If you factor in assists, he would be 1 of only 2 players to exceed 2,000 career points.

Reactions: Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He’s led the league more than any other player in the history of the NHL in pretty generous amounts. He is easily the best goal scorer of all time.
He also wasn't going against Bossy, Lemieux, Hull, Bure or Gretzky every year.

How would his numbers hold up against such players if that were is competition? Because those guys, well, some of them faced each other year in and year out.

Last edited:
Reactions: wizmet12 and Tweed

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Considering Lemieux missed 3 solid years in his prime. Came back and still produced. If he had played those 3 seasons, minus lets say 36 games missed over those three seasons. He was scoring at .45 goals per game once he came back. This would add an additional 94 goals to his total, making him the #3 goal scorer in NHL history. Still would only get him to 1125 games played, so 25 games less than Ovechkin has right now, but with 78 more goals.
If you factor in assists, he would be 1 of only 2 players to exceed 2,000 career points.
He also missed 94-95 where he could have scored many more goals, albeit a 48 game season.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

How would his numbers hold up against such players if that were is competition? Because those guys, well, some of them faced each other year in and year out.
The best stat is shooting%.
Bossy 21.15%
Lemieux 18.99%
Gretzky 17.57%
Hull 15.2%
Bure 14%
Ovechkin 12.7%

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

This is the same argument people use to place Sakic and Yzerman over Sid. Do you subscribe to that mindset as well?

IMO we can only look at the domination over peers. Ovechkin has done it in a way that we have never seen before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad