This is Unreal(Franchise Mode)

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I eventually won back-to-back cups. I had stronger forward units some years that didnt work, some better defensive ones that struggled, but I eventually found the right combo. I had a younger defense (2 2nd years and 2 rookies in my bottom 4) when I won.

Came back from down 3-1 in round 1, won in 6 in round 2, came back from 3-0 in round 3, and won every odd number game in the Final (1,3,5,7) to win the Cup. Not that it matters, but in real life that would have been the NHL record for most games played in the playoffs. 27 out of a possible 28.

The 2nd year was a much easier win. In 5, in 6, in 4, in 5.

Over the last few years in NHL games I have felt that overall is not very important though. It is the lesser attributes that contribute to that overall (Off. awareness, passing, shooting power/accuracy, etc.) That Pihlstrom guy was an 85 overall, but could never top 30 points, every year it was 4-5 goals and 20-25 assists. No matter where I put him.

so you had younger defensemen like 70+in your lineups when you won? im trying to figure this out myself because i tried everything from the fantasy draft like older players, mixing youth and vets, all snipers and offensive defensemen. i just cant figure this out. heck i even tried all rookies that were 60 and 78 overalls, that never worked.

i dont know maybe the engine favors young star rookies.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
so you had younger defensemen like 70+in your lineups when you won? im trying to figure this out myself because i tried everything from the fantasy draft like older players, mixing youth and vets, all snipers and offensive defensemen. i just cant figure this out. heck i even tried all rookies that were 60 and 78 overalls, that never worked.

i dont know maybe the engine favors young star rookies.
The players were still 80+, they were just young. Also, I dont know if this affects it, but for young players I notice a lot of the time they are listed improperly. Like a defenseman would have 78 Off. awareness, 77 Passing, 89 Def. awareness, and 95 shot blocking, but is listed as an offensive defenseman. Because of that I edit the players playing style. With stats like that I change them to defensive defensemen or maybe a two-way defenseman.

So I dont know if that helps/hinders or does nothing, but it is something I do with all of my players whether they are real current players or made up draft picks. I hate how lazy EA is and how many players are just listed as two-way forward or two-way defenseman. It drives me crazy, so I edit all the players to what I believe is their real style. I usually only have 5-10 2-way players in the NHL by the time Im done. (Bergeron, O'Reilly, Couturier, etc.)

There are 2 ways I have won Cups in the past 2 NHL games.

1) I line combos/depth. I like to use the old style line up of having a playmaker, sniper, and grinder/powerforward on each line. It is not exactly that for every line, but it feels weird to me to have 2 players on the same line with the same style of play. So I try to mix up the lines and not worry about the overall of each player too much. By not worrying about the overalls I feel like it creates more depth on the team. If I had 2 playmakers on a line at say 85 overall I dont feel bad about dropping one to the next line for an 82 sniper, grinder, or two-way forward because now that next line is a little stronger.

2) I pay close attention to the player relationships. One time I had a weak team overall-wise but we were winning and I realized it was because I had a lot of players that had high team chemistry playing together. I like to make up names for certain lines on my team and one line had 3 guys that each were one of the others best friend, and who ever was not their "highest chemistry" was the 2nd highest on the team, so I named them the "BFF line." Having lines like that increases locker room chemistry of the team and by doing that the team usually wins more than they probably should.

With all that said, and my recent change of heart about player overall's I still try to keep everyone on my team over an 80.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
you think having franchise players increases your chances of winning a cup? because the pens and tampa always win in the sims and they have franchise players.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
I had a Rangers GM go till 2023 maybe, I'm done with it now. We won the president's trophy twice and were first round sweeps both years. 4 playoff years in total and only one time we made it past the first round. There is something weird about first rounds, I can never sim through and win them.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
I had a Rangers GM go till 2023 maybe, I'm done with it now. We won the president's trophy twice and were first round sweeps both years. 4 playoff years in total and only one time we made it past the first round. There is something weird about first rounds, I can never sim through and win them.
Most upsets happen in the first round in real life so I figured they programmed that into the game except made it happen far far too often.

Reactions: Optimus Reim

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017

i know, i brought in sid and malkin on my flyers gm and i won it all. after sid retired, i couldnt get back into the finals. i guess you need a cup star player to win the finals. it's almost like the nba gm mode where you need kevin durant, lebron james in order to win a championship.

Most upsets happen in the first round in real life so I figured they programmed that into the game except made it happen far far too often.

im wondering if it has to do with the players in winning in minor league roster and it transfers success into the big league roster.

Reactions: Optimus Reim

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Like a defenseman would have 78 Off. awareness, 77 Passing, 89 Def. awareness, and 95 shot blocking, but is listed as an offensive defenseman. Because of that I edit the players playing style. With stats like that I change them to defensive defensemen or maybe a two-way defenseman.

Wait you can edit players playing styles IN Franchise mode?

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Wait you can edit players playing styles IN Franchise mode?
Yeah. You go to the “Edit Player” link on the farthest right grouping of options from the franchise hub.

Then click on the player you want to edit, click “Details” and on that screen you can change the players preferred number, their position, and their playing style.

I use the latter 2 choices a lot. I change the playing style to have a player play to his strengths and I change the position to make them listed where they would work best in my line up. If they are a center who is terrible at face offs I will change him to a winger.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
you think having franchise players increases your chances of winning a cup? because the pens and tampa always win in the sims and they have franchise players.
Absolutely. So funny story - I have a GM mode where I created an expansion team (Seattle). I have F O U R franchise players on my team. Every year we barely squeak into the playoffs and I mean barely. With that being said, once in the playoffs, the team always goes like 16-2 or 16-3. One play through we swept the first three rounds and then beat Tampa 4-2 in the finals.

Other GM modes I have done (usually GM of the Rangers), my teams have no franchise but a lot of elite players, we usually coast right to the Presidents trophy and then get curb stomped in the first round by a team that usually has one franchise player on it.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
here's another idea i didnt think of, it was done from a rebuild on youtube, try to get give 5 90 overall players, 3 top guys and 2 defensemen and a good goalie and see if that does anything. im thinking maybe it sims from the first line and the first d pairing, i know the bottom pairings matter in some way, i think it's more of what postions sims the best.

SaKuu11

Jul 6, 2017
Have u tryed its there difference how u simulate ur games. I mean most of us go to calender and simulate weeks or month. Would it make difference if u go every single game from that screen where u can choose are u going to play game or simulate. Then u can simulate one period of time or whole game. Its slower method of course. Just curious would it chance how ur team is playing.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Y'all suck. I've won the Cup 5 out of my 9 years.

As the Rangers post deadline roster. Created guys like Shestyorkin and Kaprizov and Makar that weren't in the game

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Y'all suck. I've won the Cup 5 out of my 9 years.

As the Rangers post deadline roster. Created guys like Shestyorkin and Kaprizov and Makar that weren't in the game

how do you do it? i have been doing this for months and i still cant win a cup.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I have an awful team. Only players above 78:
Mikael Granlund
Patrik Laine
Sami Vatanen
Pekka Rinne
Juuse Saros
Olli Määttä
Jussi Jokinen

Jussi Jokinen currently suits up as the top line center. First two seasons: one presidents trophy and a couple of points from another one..

Scrubs somehow end up scoring 50+ points. Something is off..

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
I won it once from 13th and once from 10th but whenever I'm last I never win lol
This is true. I start with a crappy team and make sure I get last place for 3 seasons in a row and NEVER win with my own pick......trade for almost any other pick the year prior (that team ends up between 5-13)...and it's their pick that always wins.

Reactions: David Suzuki

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I won the presidents trophy 5 years in a row and got swept first round of the playoffs 5 years in a row. I blew the entire team up and 3 years later got a cup. Was still super annoying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad