Post-Game Talk (GBU): This is the song that never ends!!

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
The writing was on the wall when we did nothing about a few things that sprang up during the win streak.

This includes a stretch of over 100 combined games where our middle six forwards totaled a combined, like, 2 goals or something. I cataloged this at the time, and it was clear that not doing anything to bolster the roster of a group of guys that showed they deserved being brought up to NHL level would lead to the season falling apart. Instead we sat there and watched those numbers pile up, along with the 42 game goal-less streak from the guy that was our 2C and 4th-most-used forward during that stretch, whose impact on non-goal plays was even worse than his ability to create plays that lead to goals.

When a season falls apart, the specifics are always uglier than you'd imagine. I'd say a lot of us were braced pretty well for this.

I'll do the work after the season, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the worst era-adjusted production for centers behind the 1C in Buffalo Sabres history. It's certainly the worst in the NHL this year. combine that with ALL of the following players: Tage Thompson, Kyle Okposo, Jason Pominville, Remi Elie, Marco Scandella's current form, Matt Hunwick, games of Matt Tennyson etc. and we get what you'd expect from a last place team that build a couple of nice moves on top of a last-place foundation that also had a hole blown in the middle of it. Our standings result will reflect this.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
G:
St Louis lost to Ottawa (hahaha) which helps us keep the better draft pick
Buffalo has moved "up" one spot to 8th in the draft according to tankathon.com (for now, until the rest of the games finish)

U:
Everything else.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
G
Montour is still busting his ass on every shift

B
No one else gives a ****, so he'll eventually quit trying, too

U
Welcome to the Buffalo Sabres culture since Drury and Briere left

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Those who didn't bother watching tonight missed something I've never seen before.

Malkin and Larsson both dropped their gloves and very briefly began fighting. They then both mutually stopped fighting, separated, and skated away from each other with no interference from the linesmen.

They just stopped fighting shortly after starting to fight. I've never seen that before. A couple of real warriors if ever there were some.

This team sucks.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Okposo, Pominville, Sobotka, Hunwick, Thompson, Scandella, Wilson

You just cannot have that many bad players on a roster in the NHL. The better teams in this league have at most 1-2 players of Larsson or Girgensons caliber on their 4th line.

Tampa's 4th line would **** on any of our non-Eichel lines.

Ask youself how many of our players make the Leafs. I say 5

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Is there any doubt we're going to lose 10 games in a row? Seems fitting at this point. At least then we can tell management to shut the f*** up if they try to push their "progress" narrative.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
U: What has happened to this storied - yes storied - franchise. We are a laughing stock. I give Jack no more that 1 final year of this before he exits for greener pastures.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
U: What has happened to this storied - yes storied - franchise. We are a laughing stock. I give Jack no more that 1 final year of this before he exits for greener pastures.

We've lost 6 in a row now, and 12 of our last 14.

Next Wednesday we may well lose to TO on home ice to make it 9 losses in a row. Could this be the watershed moment we have been waiting for? The game that gets Housley or Botterill or both fired?

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
We've lost 6 in a row now, and 12 of our last 14.

Next Wednesday we may well lose to TO on home ice to make it 9 losses in a row. Could this be the watershed moment we have been waiting for? The game that gets Housley or Botterill or both fired?

I don't think so. This is all speculation but you have to look at past behavior to predict future decision making. So Pegula will handle this situation just like he did with Murray. A post season performance review. If Botts has no satisfactory answers, cannot justify his decisions or won't be accountable for them, Pegula will can him. And by extension Housley.

We'll be unprepared for the draft. For free agency, etc. because Pegula shoots from the hip. And no advance work on replacement staffing will have been conducted.

I really have to wonder how this guy managed to become a millionaire.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad