Speculation: "This is the new NHL"

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
This is why analytics are baloney. They don't account for the physical war of attrition required to win game-7 battles. They don't account for Logan Couture getting pumped up and screaming, "that's one!" when the Sharks scored the first PP goal, and motivating the team to end up scoring four.

Hockey, more than any other sport, is built on emotion, energy and intangibles that cannot be measured on a spreadsheet. Everyone and their mother on this board said the Leafs weren't tough enough or their D wasn't deep enough to beat a team like Boston in the playoffs. What did the Leafs do to address it? They locked all their money up into top-heavy forwards who can score points, but they are not a well-rounded team.

All that money spent on elite forwards resulted in a single goal by Tavares in a monumental game 7. Not for anything, but Lou knows how to "build a team" and it's not done just by looking at spreadsheets and swanky stats.
Lou never built the Islanders. He took it over and only after Tavares left did he get Komorov and Matt Martin. He lucked into Barry Trotz cause Was let him go. I don't think the Isles are were they are because of Lou more of Trotz and the system he brought in. They lucked out on Lehner beating his addictions to turn into a good goalie behind a D first team.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Lou never built the Islanders. He took it over and only after Tavares left did he get Komorov and Matt Martin. He lucked into Barry Trotz cause Was let him go. I don't think the Isles are were they are because of Lou more of Trotz and the system he brought in. They lucked out on Lehner beating his addictions to turn into a good goalie behind a D first team.

This is true but there’s absolutely a “something to prove” vibe going on.

Fans turned on Komarov. Blaming him for Kadri’s slump.

Fans told Martin he wasn’t wanted.

Babcock said the same to Lou in choosing Dubas.

And JT told the whole team and City he didn’t want them anymore.

Make no mistake, these Islanders are playing to prove something. They are really fun to watch.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
So they were outworked for 30 min of a 7 game series.

Seems like a huge gap in "grit".

That’s just an example.

Bruins won every game they had to.

Leafs up 1? Bruins win next game
Leafs up 1 again? Bruins win next game
Game 6 facing elimination? Bruins win
Game 7? Bruins win

They stayed calm and composed. Closed lanes. Played with a swagger that expected to win.

That’s grit.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
That’s just an example.

Bruins won every game they had to.

Leafs up 1? Bruins win next game
Leafs up 1 again? Bruins win next game
Game 6 facing elimination? Bruins win
Game 7? Bruins win

They stayed calm and composed. Closed lanes. Played with a swagger that expected to win.

That’s grit.

Bruins win game 2 based on leafs laying a turd.

Bruins win game 4 while not being the better team in that game. One of the Leafs best games, didn't get the bounces.

Game 6 & 7 are on the coaching, awful PP and PK and playing the wrong players.

Boston wasn't the better team in the series, the Leafs coaching staff handed it to them.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Fort me grit is willingness to pay the price to make a play. Marner showed grit blocking those 2 shots late in game 3. Guys like Gardiner lack grit. I hope I never see him go back to get a puck and the forechecker beat him so he doesn't have to get hit. That is the lack of grit the Leafs were missing from certain players who never wanted to get dirty to make plays or take a hit to make plays.

Skill is great but unless your willing to play the dirty areas then who cares about skill when the playoffs come around and it is man vs man and that other guy is willing to bleed to make a play while you pokecheck or throw the puck blindly to avoid a hit.

Doug Glimour is the poster for skill and grit. Just watch his playoffs getting hammered but getting up and going at it again. Face bleeding and body bruised never stopped him.

Toronto is lacking that is spades

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The new NHL for me is found in the playoff picture. Dallas, St. Louis and NYI (perhaps even Carolina) all preparing for 2nd round series a season after missing the playoffs entirely. Columbus and Colorado are also advancing to the 2nd round after being eliminated in Round 1 a year ago. What do they have that the Leafs lack? How do the Leafs go about acquiring that? Questions I only wish I had the answers to.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
The new NHL for me is found in the playoff picture. Dallas, St. Louis and NYI (perhaps even Carolina) all preparing for 2nd round series a season after missing the playoffs entirely. Columbus and Colorado are also advancing to the 2nd round after being eliminated in Round 1 a year ago. What do they have that the Leafs lack? How do the Leafs go about acquiring that? Questions I only wish I had the answers to.
They all were in the in the top 8 in GA. They play a good defensive system 5 out of the top 7 were top in shots against and goals against. Scoring dries up in the playoffs and teams with a good defensive system typically move on.

Leafs stretch pass system is not a good defensive system

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
They all were in the in the top 8 in GA. They play a good defensive system 5 out of the top 7 were top in shots against and goals against. Scoring dries up in the playoffs and teams with a good defensive system typically move on.

Leafs stretch pass system is not a good defensive system

Greatly appreciated.

Hopefully successful changes can be implemented there.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
How long did it take Cassidy to change the best line in the league ?

1 1/2 games ? 2 games ?

Babcock was out coached plain and simple.

You outplayed them in game 7 the plan laid out by the coach was fine, that goalie and D making horrific errors on the first couple goals lost the game

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
You outplayed them in game 7 the plan laid out by the coach was fine, that goalie and D making horrific errors on the first couple goals lost the game
The coach was trash!!! Didn't know how to steer the ship in tough weather...same old ,same old! Realistically , there were many mistakes throughout the 7 games. To point to one or two isolated incidents is foolhardy and easy to do! The guy that gets paid the big bucks to make the in-game decisions failed...period! He has no one to blame but his own lack of strategy. He needs to go!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Seriously, physicality wasn't even close to being the reason the reason the team lost.....

Special teams once again handed the Bruins the win, and the Leafs didn't try anything new to stop them

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The coach was trash!!! Didn't know how to steer the ship in tough weather...same old ,same old! Realistically , there were many mistakes throughout the 7 games. To point to one or two isolated incidents is foolhardy and easy to do! The guy that gets paid the big bucks to make the in-game decisions failed...period! He has no one to blame but his own lack of strategy. He needs to go!

Your goalie and dman were trash they handed the game away with extreamly poor individual plays

Todd03

May 28, 2016
Everybody is blaming Babcock for losing. But the so called General manager is just as much to blame as well.
Trading bigger players for smaller players. Having a forth line that is one of the smallest in the league. Also
having this stupid idea that small is better is crap. If you look around teams that are winning are bigger and have
lots of grinders. Example Columbus, St. Louis, New York Islanders. Leafs have maybe Hyman,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad