GDT: "This Is Our Stanley Cup" | NHL 2019 Entry Draft | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The thing is that they don't have any real long term commitments. Subban and Schneider's contracts are for 3 more years I believe so that gives them a strong 2-3 year window to compete and also convince Hall to stay.
Oh, I'm assuming Hall does stay.

They have a lot of roster holes to fill over the next few years to become that competitive product. If their development system provides that depth, they'll be fine. But I see them as a cap ceiling team in two years--especially if there's a playoff team there.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Subban just makes too much money and is trending downward.

That being said, I wish we had a GM (more previous GM's than Holland) who could get something done at reasonable prices.

Everything were on, seems to cost us a ton.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

They have a lot of roster holes to fill over the next few years to become that competitive product. If their development system provides that depth, they'll be fine. But I see them as a cap ceiling team in two years--especially if there's a playoff team there.
They have the capspace to do it though. Oilers have more holes and even if we just bring in average 3rd liners we would be a cap ceiling

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
chia was balking at picks thinking adding college FA's and his secret draft gems would be enough to insulate the mcdavid cakewalk to the championship.

then when it blew up in his face he acted out and just started doing literally crazy shit.

Reactions: KingKhron

North

Jun 25, 2009
Meanwhile many here are *****ing about us drafting a defenseman again this year.

Agreed, Nashville is a very smart organization.

I think people forget how you can use defensive depth to address weaknesses via trade.

They’re crying over Zegras forgetting that Holland watched him play a lot.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

That being said, I wish we had a GM (more previous GM's than Holland) who could get something done at reasonable prices.

Subban is one year removed from being 1 point off his career high in points, lol. I don't think he's done.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the draft.

I don't think we see anymore trades this weekend. And I'm still heavily doubting that the Oil make any moves till the second day of free agency but I welcome surprises

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

It's the cost of being a perennial bottom feeder, having terrible management, and being a generally undesirable destination for families of players.

Our only hope is to win. Winning will make anywhere a desirable destination .

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Depends on what version of PK they're getting...the classic 60 point PK Subban of old, or the PK of last year who was <.5 PPG and a defensive liability? NJ had better hope for the former, because the latter is nowhere near worth the 9M/yr cap hit they're going to be eating for the next 3 years.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
They have a long history of drafting d-men in the first round. Maybe this is the model Holland is trying to follow?
You can never have enough defenseman as some GM’s like to say and if memory serves me correct PK and Weber are second round picks?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

It'll be a good problem to have. They still have plenty of cap space to add depth and don't have to worry about paying Hughes for another 3 years so I think they'll be fine. Whether or not their chemistry meshes is up in the air but, on paper, that could well be a top 3 team in that division.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Subban is one year removed from 59 points and a career high 16 goals.

One year.

Not 5 years.

I think he was just playing through injuries last year.

Reactions: KingKhron

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think people forget how you can use defensive depth to address weaknesses via trade.

They’re crying over Zegras forgetting that Holland watched him play a lot.

I wonder if Jones gets moved? Likely the closest to NHL ready of our LHD prospects but likely the guy with the lowest upside between Broberg, Samorukov and himself.

Solid young defensemen are always in demand.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I don't mind that Subban deal for the Devils. Gives them a dimension on the blue line they need and they didn't give up much of substance (besides cap space).

Same thing for Carolina getting Marleau. Free first rounder because they can afford Marleau for a year. Nice.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
That's 2 great deals for New Jersey landing Hall and Subban for pretty much nothing. Not that I wanted Subban due to his cap and declining play but I'm sure New Jersey will skyrocket past us in the standings now.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Depends on what version of PK they're getting...the classic 60 point PK Subban of old, or the PK of last year who was <.5 PPG and a defensive liability? NJ had better hope for the former, because the latter is nowhere near worth the 9M/yr cap hit they're going to be eating for the next 3 years.
PK was better than Larsson defensively and if he wasn't injured would of probably tied Nurse in points or passed him. That's all in a bad year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Poile couldn't get rid of Subban fast enough tells me something about PK though

It could also mean they realized Turris is a bust for them and are trying to make a move for Duchene.

IMO Nashville dun goofed all around. They never should've let Seth Jones go in the first place for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad