GDT: "This Is Our Stanley Cup" | NHL 2019 Entry Draft | Day 2 | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think overall pretty hard draft to grade. I feel a bit underwhelmed if I am being honest but when I assess the picks, theres potential to be special.

Broberg - He obviously has some great qualities, I think trying to analyze prospects who play against men is really hard. He was very good and dominant against his own age group. Its hard to really bet against Swedish defenseman. How well this draft turns out is really dependent on his this pick turns out.

Lavoie - I think this was a really good pick. He was generally considered a 13-20 pick so to get him with the second rounder is pretty great. Guy was a beast in the playoffs. Theres always a chance that a second round will bust but overall I really liked this pick.

Konovalov - Dont know much about the guy but he has impressive stats. Another goalie is a bit surprising but its such an important position that I think you have to keep picking them until you know you have one. I think him actually having KHL rights for 2? years is probably beneficial because it allows the other goalie prospects to play without crowding the position and gives the Oilers some time.

Blumel/Mazura/Denezhkin - Dont know much about these guys, but picks generally Round 4-7 have a low chance of making the NHL, so I think its a bit silly to declare a draft a failure because you didnt like someone picked in the later rounds or something. I like the fact that we didnt pick guys who are coke machines. Lets see how they develop.

Reactions: Faelko

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Broberg was a reach, Lavoie was a steal, Russian goalie looks very decent.

Overall I give Holland’s first draft a 7/10, night challenge hangs the next 2-3 years
MacT picked him because of his points. The most idiotic bum could've done that...

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I don't understand why the Leafs don't just trade Nylander. Even after moving Marleau they're still f***ed. If you move a 1st to unload Marleau it's taking a hell of a lot more for Zaitsev. Nylander can bring you back a cheap top 4 defenseman. You can sign all of Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson but you're still going to have terrible D and no room to add.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I don't understand why the Leafs don't just trade Nylander. Even after moving Marleau they're still ****ed. If you move a 1st to unload Marleau it's taking a hell of a lot more for Zaitsev. Nylander can bring you back a cheap top 4 defenseman. You can sign all of Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson but you're still going to have terrible D and no room to add.
Verbal agreement to not trade him I guess? Also his value is at an all time low after being a complete bum in the playoffs.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't understand why the Leafs don't just trade Nylander. Even after moving Marleau they're still ****ed. If you move a 1st to unload Marleau it's taking a hell of a lot more for Zaitsev. Nylander can bring you back a cheap top 4 defenseman. You can sign all of Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson but you're still going to have terrible D and no room to add.
Because Dubas was too smart, he's so smart he's in the position he is now

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

They are completely *****, I don’t know why Dubas can’t part with any of those guys. Why resign essentially Kapenen and Johnsson before Marner? Get Marner done, which will be high. Then flip one ofthose 2 for number 4-5 d and help your depth back there. They are going to probably have to get Marner around 11, then tie another 7 into those 2. There forward group has to be among the most expensive in the NHL by like over 10M at that point. Gardiner will walk and they will have nothing to play d

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Honestly I just think Dubas never really had a realistic plan, I think he was overly optimistic that he could keep everyone and now that the contracts havent worked, hes in damage control mode.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
2019 Draft Thread and Rumors & Proposals Thread reopened.

This thread closes at 1k or fades into obscurity.

copperandblue897

Nov 29, 2008
Edmonton
What about below? Gonna be hard to fill the 5/6 holes on this roster in one summer

Deal 1
Jesse Puljujarvi (rights) & Kris Russell ($4M x 2) for Jason Zucker ($5.5M x 4)

Deal 2
Lucic ($6M x 4) for Loui Erickson ($6M x 3)

Deal 3
Brandon Manning ($2.25 x 1) for James Reimer ($3.4M x 2)

$2,200,000 in cap space - doesn't get us to playoffs but deals with a couple problems and next summer money comes off books. Can expect Bouchard to be ready and figure out a landing spot for Sekera/Loui next summer with 1 & 2 years left on their deals.

29-97-44
Loui-93-Zucker
Nygaard-Marody-Gagner
Gamberdella-JJ-Cave

77-6
25-83
2-Jones
Persson

Koskinen
Reimer

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What about below? Gonna be hard to fill the 5/6 holes on this roster in one summer

Deal 1
Jesse Puljujarvi (rights) & Kris Russell ($4M x 2) for Jason Zucker ($5.5M x 4)

Deal 2
Lucic ($6M x 4) for Loui Erickson ($6M x 3)

Deal 3
Brandon Manning ($2.25 x 1) for James Reimer ($3.4M x 2)

$2,200,000 in cap space - doesn't get us to playoffs but deals with a couple problems and next summer money comes off books. Can expect Bouchard to be ready and figure out a landing spot for Sekera/Loui next summer with 1 & 2 years left on their deals.

29-97-44
Loui-93-Zucker
Nygaard-Marody-Gagner
Gamberdella-JJ-Cave

77-6
25-83
2-Jones
Persson

Koskinen
Reimer
That doesn’t get you zucker.

Reactions: McDoused

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
They are completely *****, I don’t know why Dubas can’t part with any of those guys. Why resign essentially Kapenen and Johnsson before Marner? Get Marner done, which will be high. Then flip one ofthose 2 for number 4-5 d and help your depth back there. They are going to probably have to get Marner around 11, then tie another 7 into those 2. There forward group has to be among the most expensive in the NHL by like over 10M at that point. Gardiner will walk and they will have nothing to play d
First off Marner is clearly going to be a much harder negotiation those two, second if you have two guys who are willing to sign what I think everyone would agree are pretty reasonable and maybe even underpaid contracts and prevent them being open to RFA offersheets it isn't a bad thing. Just cause you got a checklist of 5-6 things to do, doesn't mean you can't check anything else off the list cause you didn't get priority #1 done and if you need to trade one of those two to make space later (or almost immediately) it should be pretty easy tied to those contracts.

Marner is obviously a key piece you don't want to lose under any circumstance, but a team committing to a 4 1st round pick offersheet is a big frigging deal and most teams would probably try to approach you to try and swing a deal before tendering that kind of offersheet, so you should get advanced warning. I don't suspect you'd get a heads up on a Kapanen or Johnsson offersheet and committing a 2nd round pick to landing either one isn't a hard choice to make like tendering an offersheet to Marner, the picks and cap commitment from a deal like that completely changes the outlook of a franchise. On top of all that it is my belief that Marner badly wants to stay a Maple Leaf, wouldn't actually sign an offersheet and all this talk right now is really just him and his agent putting the screws to the Leafs to get a nice fat contract.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
You've seen Fenton's trade history right? Fiala for Granlund, Nino Niederreiter for Viktor Rask?

Zucker is getting moved for sure this week, be a fantastic wing addition with his speed & 20G guy
I like Zucker and would want him, but $5.5M for 45-ish points that he put up in 2 of the last 3 seasons makes him a bit risky and not necessarily the most frugal choice with our limited cap dollars, obviously he returns to 30+ goal form and no one is complaining about $5.5M, but he's only done that once in his career and his 2nd best season wasn't close to that mark.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Not feeling terribly optimistic about this draft. Time will tell I suppose.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Wish we could move Lucic for anything. Cant believe Toronto got out of Marleau.
Got out? A first is getting off well now? I love reading things in retrospect. It makes me able to pretend I’m smart. It’s nice to read how stoked people were over Lavoie knowing it had happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad