GDT: "This Is Our Stanley Cup" | NHL 2019 Entry Draft | Day 2 | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I like Nashville, so I hope they don't spend all this new capspace on overpaying Duchene.

I think they'd be better off signing a guy like Perry for cheap, and bargain bin shopping like us.

No need to do anything drastic, they're a very good team.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If true, good call. But those guys were pretty closely ranked to each other (in the same round) whereas Broberg at round 1 #8 vs Moberg at round 7 #194... that's quite a difference and makes your opinion pretty controversial imo.

Ya ...busts and disappointments happen all the time.

Kucherov over Musil was an easy one because it was an extremely talented guy who ripped it up that year vs a safe (supposedly) not highly offensive dman. No brainer but can't blame the Oilers for going safe when the Russian factor was rampant back then

McAvoy was a stud in the NCAA... big, aggressive, smart RHD was perfect for the Oilers and he had a great year there... Oilers went with the consensus guy who was flashier and looked like he was a can't miss forward. Smart, steady, solid mobile RHD are a low risk bet.

Moberg to me looks more mobile... has a nice shot... looks smart from my views... good size RHD... not much not to like there and he's already in North America. IF given the choice I'd take Moberg over Broberg... but they obviously could both end up great players. Kaliyev would definitely have been my pick at #8 though.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Am I mistaken or has Billy Constantinou not been taken? I thought he was a lock to go top-90.

Another name I’m surprised has not been called is Nolan Maier, Saskatoon Blades goalie.
Constantinou's defense is awful. Similar prospect was Blake Siebenaler, who was a massive miss by Columbus a few years back. Teams probably took notice.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Kucherov over Musil was an easy one because it was an extremely talented guy who ripped it up that year vs a safe (supposedly) not highly offensive dman. No brainer but can't blame the Oilers for going safe when the Russian factor was rampant back then

McAvoy was a stud in the NCAA... big, aggressive, smart RHD was perfect for the Oilers and he had a great year there... Oilers went with the consensus guy who was flashier and looked like he was a can't miss forward. Smart, steady, solid mobile RHD are a low risk bet.

Moberg to me looks more mobile... has a nice shot... looks smart from my views... good size RHD... not much not to like there and he's already in North America. IF given the choice I'd take Moberg over Broberg... but they obviously could both end up great players. Kaliyev would definitely have been my pick at #8 though.
What about Kaliyev's game made him a top ten pick for you?

He scored goals in junior at a young age. Him falling was one of the least surprising things in this draft quite honestly.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
What about Kaliyev's game made him a top ten pick for you?

He scored goals in junior at a young age. Him falling was one of the least surprising things in this draft quite honestly.

He's lazy and has no fire/desire.. and still chalked up 51 goals.... that takes insane talent.

Guys who work their asses off can't score 50.

You can't teach goal scoring and natural skill and he has it in spades.

He'll likely thrive in the NHL with good guidance... maybe something the Oilers couldn't give him... but I would think the Tippett/Holland environment would be solid for him here. Oh well... not to be.

We'll see if McLellan "ruins" Kaliyev like he "ruined" Puljujarvi. :)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He's lazy and has no fire/desire.. and still chalked up 51 goals.... that takes insane talent.

Guys who work their asses off can't score 50.

You can't teach goal scoring and natural skill and he has it in spades.

He'll likely thrive in the NHL with good guidance... maybe something the Oilers couldn't give him... but I would think the Tippett/Holland environment would be solid for him here. Oh well... not to be.

We'll see if McLellan "ruins" Kaliyev like he "ruined" Puljujarvi. :)
A Tippett environment is not a good place for a player who isn’t committed.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Moberg over broberg.

Can I get hot takes for $1000 Alex.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
A Tippett environment is not a good place for a player who isn’t committed.
Probably for the best then... Oilers will have to stick to their sparkling forward depth and squeeze 3 drops of offense out of them. Maybe Rattie or Khaira or Cave finally explode for 5-10 goals each like we were always hoping for. :)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Probably for the best then... Oilers will have to stick to their sparkling forward depth and squeeze 3 drops of offense out of them. Maybe Rattie or Khaira or Cave finally explode for 5-10 goals each like we were always hoping for. :)
For the record, I still would of picked kaliyev if he was there at our pick.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Broberg was a reach, Lavoie was a steal, Russian goalie looks very decent.

Overall I give Holland’s first draft a 7/10, night challenge hangs the next 2-3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->