OT: The thread formerly known as Mousecop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Cash back in particular. The Citi Double Cash card seems like the best (1% on purchase, 1% on paying it off)... but having worked at Citi for 4-5 years after college, I don't think I can bring myself to go that route. :laugh:

EDIT: I may also be overthinking this whole thing, and should just pick the one with the biggest number (and no hidden shenanigans).
Citi Double Cash is just fine for a cash back card. No fee and 2% works.

Here is a great resource if you want to explore other types of reward cards:

Best Credit Cards For... - Doctor Of Credit

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Thinking about opening a new credit card with better rewards/benefits. The card I have now is alright, but it was my first credit card, it was all I could really get with no credit history. Feel like I could do a little better now... but I'm concerned what implications/issues (if any) I could run into messing with this credit stuff too much.

I use these two:
Discover it Cashback card. I got this card first. It's especially nice the first year when they match your cashback. They even have an NHL version. :laugh: It will always pay 1% cashback, and pays 5% on a rotating category basis.
NHL Discover it | Explore the NHL Credit Card | Discover

The Chase Freedom Unlimited is also good. The pay 1.5% on just about anything but taxes, and it's easy for new cardholders to get a $150 bonus. I use it for recurring payments; insurance, internet, phone, electricity, etc.
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/freedom-unlimited

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
upload_2019-1-21_22-49-2.jpeg

Jackson Davis and Olivia Grace have arrived

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
On the topic of kids, does anybody have any experience with one kid starting kindergarten (new germs) and another starting daycare (new germs) at the same time?
Currently, by our calculation, this house hasn't gone 7 days without at least one illness in 3 months. We seriously need a break. The wife works hourly, so it's crushing our income, and the kids have both been sick on the weekend for 3 straight weeks, so they are stir crazy. Also, I had norovirus over the weekend and now have conjunctivitis. Is this normal, or did I marry into some sickly gene pool?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Citi Double Cash is just fine for a cash back card. No fee and 2% works.
I'm just more concerned about horror stories I've read about Citi's customer service and security. Of course... I'm sure you can find horror stories for all of them. Otherwise, it seems like the ideal card for me. I always may my card off every month so it's just pure 2% cash back.

I use these two:
Discover it Cashback card. I got this card first. It's especially nice the first year when they match your cashback. They even have an NHL version. :laugh: It will always pay 1% cashback, and pays 5% on a rotating category basis.
NHL Discover it | Explore the NHL Credit Card | Discover

The Chase Freedom Unlimited is also good. The pay 1.5% on just about anything but taxes, and it's easy for new cardholders to get a $150 bonus. I use it for recurring payments; insurance, internet, phone, electricity, etc.
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/freedom-unlimited
Appreciate the insights. I'm not sure I want to think about it enough to warrant multiple cards and/or trying to maximize rewards like that, which makes the idea of deciding on just one all the more grueling. :laugh: I like the idea of a Sabres card though. :naughty:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Anyone who can slip a Dante's Inferno reference into HF thread I am definitely down with! :thumbu:
Definitely need a thread title change:
OT: Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.
Jackson Davis and Olivia Grace have arrived
Awesome!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! They look like they're both at least 4 lbs. Any NICU time expected before heading home?

Was it Yesterday (21st) ????? That's my birthday, too!!
(Pretty sure I called that back when you announced you folks were expecting.)
On the topic of kids, does anybody have any experience with one kid starting kindergarten (new germs) and another starting daycare (new germs) at the same time?
Currently, by our calculation, this house hasn't gone 7 days without at least one illness in 3 months. We seriously need a break. The wife works hourly, so it's crushing our income, and the kids have both been sick on the weekend for 3 straight weeks, so they are stir crazy. Also, I had norovirus over the weekend and now have conjunctivitis. Is this normal, or did I marry into some sickly gene pool?
From my experience & understanding, it's pretty normal with your kids. As for you, my understanding is both norovirus and conjunctivitis are highly contagious, so not a lot you can do beyond handwashing and limiting contact.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Definitely need a thread title change:
OT: Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Awesome!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! They look like they're both at least 4 lbs. Any NICU time expected before heading home?

Was it Yesterday (21st) ????? That's my birthday, too!!
(Pretty sure I called that back when you announced you folks were expecting.)
From my experience & understanding, it's pretty normal with your kids. As for you, my understanding is both norovirus and conjunctivitis are highly contagious, so not a lot you can do beyond handwashing and limiting contact.
I burned my clothes. Was that unnecessary?

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I'm so sorry for your loss (of sleep). Congrats!!
Makes you wonder why the expression "sleep like a baby" means what it means. Should mean, "yeah, I woke up every couple of hours crying," not that I slept soundly through the night.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
So I bite the bullet and bought the apple watch series 3 with a combination of visa points and Christmas money, it's not so bad so far. I can really see why they are popular, I think i checked my phone a grand total of 2 times today at work as there is really no need to. The biggest reason I purchased it is because of the fitness tracking abilities, i find it more motivating to see feedback from exercising.

Reactions: Jim Bob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad