Speculation: This is Ken Holland's Last Season as GM

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I smell this could happen:

- Detroit is waiting what happens at Tampa. This means Yzerman's decision.
- Tampa wins a Stanley Cup.
- Yzerman decides to leave. Signs with Detroit for 5 years, from 2019-20 season to 2023-24 season.
- Holland is extended for 1 year as a GM. Season 2018-19. Summer of 2019 is the summer of all organizational changes.
- Holland is offered a spot as Vice President after 2018-19, or could take the Seattle project.

Reactions: kliq

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
As far as potential in house replacements go, my wildcard pick is Jiri Fischer.

I have no idea how qualified or effective he'd be at it, but that'd make for a heck of story if Fish managed to build his own Cup-winning team as GM. He got his name on the Cup in '02 of course but it was a bit marred by having to sit for the clincher and he missed out on '08 as a player, so it'd have an extra bit of meaning if he got the chance and pulled it off.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
If Yzerman comes back and specially if wins the cup with the Bolts, he must love this team more anyone in this planet. I believe Holland will re-sign atleast that 1-year deal, then move up or retire.

But if they bring a new GM after this season, Mark Hunter will definitely be the top candidate and other top candidates could be Chris Pryor Asst. GM Flyers and Julien Brisebois Asst. GM Tampa Bay. Wildcard choice could be also from Flyers Barry Hanrahan Asst. to GM/Asst. GM since '97, and just 49-years old. I wonder whats he's story?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
TSN did a piece a few weeks ago about how this is becoming a normal trend. I think Holland is one of a few GM's that are in the final year of their contracts.

As of a month ago I believe Armstrong, Holland, Yzerman, Lamoriello, and Fletcher were all on expiring contracts.

I have a feeling the Wings may be waiting to see if Yzerman re-signs with TB which I'm sure he will.
Once Yzerman re-signs (if he already hasn't) I think the Wings will re-sign Holland.

Is it actually becoming a trend or was it a slow news day? Genuinely asking. Lou, Armstrong, and Yzerman have done about all they can do. They’re known commodities with PR on their side at this point. It’s one thing to take time with someone who has proven their worth but also has no reason to leave (reminiscent of signing Yzerman of Lidstrom or Datsyuk in their twilight) - It’s another thing to not prioritize getting around to contract negotiations with guys who haven’t made any progress in years, a la Fletcher and Kenny.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Is it actually becoming a trend or was it a slow news day? Genuinely asking. Lou, Armstrong, and Yzerman have done about all they can do. They’re known commodities with PR on their side at this point. It’s one thing to take time with someone who has proven their worth but also has no reason to leave (reminiscent of signing Yzerman of Lidstrom or Datsyuk in their twilight) - It’s another thing to not prioritize getting around to contract negotiations with guys who haven’t made any progress in years, a la Fletcher and Kenny.

I dont know, I guess you would have to go back year after year and calculate how many GM's were in the final year of their contracts going into each respective season. Not going to like, I have no desire to do that lol.

Could it just be an outlier of a season? Maybe. Buppy what we do know is that it happened this year.

*edit* I meant but, not buppy.

Last edited:

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Birmingham
You guys/gals/teens/kids are funny to think Yzerman is coming to Detroit. Ill be the first to throw up on my face and eat my words, but he's not coming back.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
You guys/gals/teens/kids are funny to think Yzerman is coming to Detroit. Ill be the first to throw up on my face and eat my words, but he's not coming back.

Why?

I dont think he'll be coming back soon, but why would you say he is never coming back? Other then really Holland, their aren't many GM's that stay GM of their team for their entire careers. At some point, Yzerman will likely leave the Lightning, it may be 1 year from now, 5 years from now, or 10 years from now. But when that day does come, why is it so inconceivable to believe that he would come back Detroit?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Holland was scouting last night in Saginaw!

Frk It has been pointing this out a lot over the last 18 months, but Holland has been out it seems a touch more in terms of junior hockey. It makes sense, glad to see him investing the time. He always went to a few games but I always felt it was mostly to see our guys until later in the season. Which he could have been doing here, I just feel like we are hearing more about him personally scouting lately.

Reactions: One Blurred Eye

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Blade Jenkins had a good night with goal and 2 assists , I am sure he is on his radar!

Gilmour had a strong night as well but only one assist, but made some unreal plays, just has little to play with as wingers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Blade Jenkins had a good night with goal and 2 assists , I am sure he is on his radar!

Gilmour had a strong night as well but only one assist, but made some unreal plays, just has little to play with as wingers.

Thoughts on Jenkins? How’s his skating?

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I get to watch him every home game, and if I had to be critical of anything, it would be his skating. He has everything else, size, shot, IQ, name etc! But skating is weak and even at OHL level it would be below average. But his hockey IQ has him get away with it at OHL level. Would still be a good pick around the 3 to 5 round of draft.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Frk It has been pointing this out a lot over the last 18 months, but Holland has been out it seems a touch more in terms of junior hockey. It makes sense, glad to see him investing the time. He always went to a few games but I always felt it was mostly to see our guys until later in the season. Which he could have been doing here, I just feel like we are hearing more about him personally scouting lately.

Which is good. One of the things we've consistently heard others praise in Holland is his eye for talented kids. I like our chances at the draft the more first hand knowledge Holland has of the kids we're looking to take.

Reactions: One Blurred Eye

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
What makes you think there would be an outside hire then :laugh:

I agree though, it needs to be an outside hire or I'll be pretty displeased.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Funny how times change. Last year at this time, when Tampa was struggling, Stevie wasn't held in such esteem.

Stevie has NEVER given ANY indication that he'd like to be back here. And, why would he quit Tampa if they've won the Cup? Wouldn't he want to build a Rutherford-like dynasty there?

I think you need to take the cues from what happened with the Tigers this year. Avila is still around because he demonstrated he was all-in on the rebuild. Kenny never has.

I'm 99% sure a rebuild is coming, and I suspect it won't be Kenny doing it. They will look for someone outside the system.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
It needs to be somebody from outside of Holland's clones. New blood, fresh ideas, and not involved in the country club like persona that has evolved over the years in the Wings organization.

Until Yzerman left for Tampa he was in a very similar situation as Draper is now. So "Holland Clone" would have been an apt description of Yzerman at that time, yes?
In a sense I agree with you, but there's no knowing what sort of GM a "Holland clone" is going to become. Learning at the side of Holland is not necessarily a bad thing - whatever his flaws are, he has been at this a long time and I'm sure he has a lot of useful knowledge and insight to pass on. Steve Yzerman is his own man and is very good at what he does, but I think it would be silly to think that his time at Ken's side is not an asset to him.

If Holland remains in a position to strongly influence the team and they put one of his "clones" in the GM's chair, then I'd say your fears might be merited. If not, I'd expect and hope that Draper or any other who benefited from Ken's tutelage will go forward operating as they see fit, not as a reflection of Ken Holland.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
It needs to be somebody from outside of Holland's clones. New blood, fresh ideas, and not involved in the country club like persona that has evolved over the years in the Wings organization.

Personally I don't really care if the person is inside the organization or outside of it, I want the person who is best candidate possible. I think the second you begin to put restrictions on who you can or cannot hire, you begin to handcuff yourself.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
An article today from The Hockey Writers:

https://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-game-plan-ken-holland/

I certainly don't agree with 100% of their take, but it's nice to keep seeing media advocating a rebuild.

:help:

The team itself is going through a rebuild. They're not going into as quickly as you want or as fully as you want, but they have certainly begun their rebuild in earnest. They can't really clear salary in trade and have it be worth it. They could free up some money by dealing Z but they'd get hit with recapture and have to replace their captain or by packaging picks and the like with some of the contracts like Ericsson's ... but that would run counter to what you actually want to do in a rebuild.

As soon as the 2012 lockout happened and recapture became a thing, the Wings were always going to be locked in a holding pattern until Z, Franzen, and Kronner were taken care of. And they simply were not going to sell and burn the team down when they had Datsyuk and Zetterberg. It just wasn't going to happen, even if it was a good idea to do so.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Yzerman going to Detroit to be the GM is a pipe dream fans need to temper

Ken Holland Needs This 2018 Game Plan for the Red Wings

I certainly don't agree with 100% of their take, but it's nice to keep seeing media advocating a rebuild.
Not a bad article at all, but Mrazek will not have a team friendly contract if he is offered a qualifying contract. There is no need to have near $10 million tied up in goaltenders, even for a year.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
They can't really clear salary in trade and have it be worth it.
I could at least see where you're coming from until you said this. Green makes $6M. Mrazek makes $4M. Nyquist makes $4.75M. That's $14.75M right there. Plus any scraps for flipping a guy like Booth, like they did with Ott last year.

Dealing Green is a no brainier, that nearly everybody on these boards is cool with. The majority seem like they'd be happy to just unload Mrazek for a bag of pucks, for addition by subtraction. And while they certainly don't HAVE to deal Gus, if they find a decent offer (say, a 2018 2nd and a 2019 2nd), that would be a good move, too. Shoot, even with significant retention, they could easily clear $8-10M off the books THIS YEAR.

And yes, that amount of cap space, while adding draft picks in what's billed as a very very good draft, is definitely worth more than 2-3 players that won't be helping the team by the time they're good enough to even win another playoff series.

The moves I listed aren't burning anything down. They're getting value for assets that aren't included in the long-term plans of the franchise. The article even mentions St Louis doing the same thing with Shattenkirk last year, and they weren't nearly as bottom of the barrel as the Wings are. It's just smart planning.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I would think if Holland is done after this year Draper would be one of the top replacements. Thats not a bad thing as long as he has freedom to operate how he wants. It would've been worth giving Stevie a shot, might be worth giving one to Draper.

Another guy I could see is poaching Mark Hunter from the Leafs. He might like it there and they have a good team on the up and up, but he seems like hes about 4th on the totem pole after Shanny, Lou, and Babs in the media, and realistically I would guess behind Dubas in the pecking order as well. At best he is their fourth guy, he might want a shot to build his own team and have no one interfering or having a say in things. I doubt the Leafs would let Dubas go, but an older guy like Hunter they might.

I saw him mentioned earlier but Yzermans assistant Brisebois could be the best guy to try to steal. Hes obviously heavily involved in scouting and player development because he GMs the Crunch for them as well. Theyve made the calder cup finals 3 out of the 6 years hes been running the team and most of those good young players on Tampa have come through the organization that hes had a huge hand in running. Brisebois might actually be the best choice out of anyone available. Tampas development system is the biggest reason theyre so good imo. Theyve turned a lot of later round picks into big contributors

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Until Yzerman left for Tampa he was in a very similar situation as Draper is now. So "Holland Clone" would have been an apt description of Yzerman at that time, yes?
In a sense I agree with you, but there's no knowing what sort of GM a "Holland clone" is going to become. Learning at the side of Holland is not necessarily a bad thing - whatever his flaws are, he has been at this a long time and I'm sure he has a lot of useful knowledge and insight to pass on. Steve Yzerman is his own man and is very good at what he does, but I think it would be silly to think that his time at Ken's side is not an asset to him.

If Holland remains in a position to strongly influence the team and they put one of his "clones" in the GM's chair, then I'd say your fears might be merited. If not, I'd expect and hope that Draper or any other who benefited from Ken's tutelage will go forward operating as they see fit, not as a reflection of Ken Holland.

Honestly the only ones I don’t want is martin. There’s others but there’s no way they get the job anyway

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

https://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-game-plan-ken-holland/

As stated by a previous post, the article makes sense until the part about Mrazek. It would seem this Wolak clearly overlooked that Mrazek already has a now team-UNfriendly contract and it will require an unfriendly qualifying offer to keep his as an RFA.

The only way Mrazek signs any sort of "team friendly" deal for next season is if he's dealt to another team willing to give him a shot at a #1 role, or he hits the UFA market and doesn't get any better offers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad