This is a joke - Playing elsewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
If I worked for HP Techonolgy and they went on strike...

does that mean I can go work for Lexmark, and when HP starts up again, I can go back to HP???

This is a joke.. your locking out.. ****in' lock out and don't play hockey at all until a new CBA is reached!!! :dunno:

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
joepeps said:
If I worked for HP Techonolgy and they went on strike...

does that mean I can go work for Lexmark, and when HP starts up again, I can go back to HP???

This is a joke.. your locking out.. ****in' lock out and don't play hockey at all until a new CBA is reached!!! :dunno:
Do you understand the difference between a lock out and a strike?

SoundsGood

Mar 29, 2002
Canada
Visit site
The players can go play only because other leagues want them too.

It would kinda be the same thing if, lets say, you were someone that organises boxing matchs in your neibourhood and that Mike Tyson came up and asked you if he could fight in some of your fights until the bureaucrats figure out some paperwork he doesnt even care about as long as he gets paid real well again when they get it all back up.

Would you say no to him? I bet you could sell all your tickets real easy with him fighting for you. You might even get some new people in; they would come to see him only because of who he is.

Thats why the NHL wants to do a partnership with the players... they dont want to lose them to leagues all over the world because they need them all to be there to be able to keep paying them better then anywhere else. The only thing is they say they are paying them too much right now. And the players are saying "if you dont pay us the good money.. we can go play anywhere else, why would we come play in the NHL?" It also keeps them in shape for when things get back together.

Of course its much more complicated then this, but it might give you an idea of the why of things.

Feb 12, 2003
I find it funny when they go play in leagues with a salary cap given the NHLPA's line. It's like saying you are against the communist, but then working with them on a smaller scale.

Furthermore, I think it's bad of the players to go and take the jobs away from so many other players in these leagues, when the pay is clearly less. If I make $50/hour and take a job a way from a guy making $10/hour, then that guy has to take a job away from someone who makes even less. It pushes the little guy out, which shows how selfish they are. The refs could have done the same thing but they made an example saying they wouldn't take the jobs away from other refs.

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
GoCoyotes said:
I find it funny when they go play in leagues with a salary cap given the NHLPA's line. It's like saying you are against the communist, but then working with them on a smaller scale.

Furthermore, I think it's bad of the players to go and take the jobs away from so many other players in these leagues, when the pay is clearly less. If I make $50/hour and take a job a way from a guy making $10/hour, then that guy has to take a job away from someone who makes even less. It pushes the little guy out, which shows how selfish they are. The refs could have done the same thing but they made an example saying they wouldn't take the jobs away from other refs.

But, for example, allowing Europeans to come and play in the NHL is what created a job for the little guy in the first place.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
joepeps said:
lol I know the concept of this....
My point is you stand united........... You don't leave.. :dunno: Thats my feeling

Theorically, and legally they can. They've just been ''kicked'' out of work pretty much by their employers (a lock-out). Wouldn't you go work somewhere else if your employer was to kick you out of work comes sept 1st?

I would many of us would. It sucks for the low level hockey player who is earning a living in the ECHL and stuff, but hell, if I was more talented then he was I would probably do it. Though it is kinda disgusting

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
It just goes to show how stupid and pigheaded the players are.

They compain about their livelyhood in the NHL, then go and sign elsewhere for 10% of their NHL salary they were on and some of the leagues they sign in have caps! :lol:

Starscream

May 11, 2004
Riverview NB
the best is going to be when the nhl brings in replacement players and those europeans who are out of a job because of NHL players come here to play, they will be scabs but its ok for the NHL player to take his job away from him.
what's up with that, kind of a double standard to me.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
GoCoyotes said:

Scott Taylor was making that point last night on The Score.

If other players came in to take their jobs, the NHLPA would treat them as scabs...but when they take others jobs it should be ok?

On another note, with Nieminen getting injured maybe a few will rethink about playing in these leagues. Is it worth it?

chara

Mar 31, 2004
#66 said:
What I don't get is the players playing in other leagues for less money. :dunno:

And stealing someone else's job, someone who needs the money, whose not just there to 'keep in shape'.

I agree with you totally. By the way, the NHL refs are in the same boat but they have chosen not to take jobs away from their counterparts in the developmental leagues or in Europe. Moreover, the most these guys make is 100K, not chump change by any stretch but no where near the 1.8M avg of the NHLPA.

swflyers8*

#66 said:
What I don't get is the players playing in other leagues for less money. :dunno:

I don't get that either. Scott Gomez is willing to play for 500$ a week but him and others can't play for way more than that in the NHL? I don't get this at all. It makes no sense at all. :mad:

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
what it also SHOULD show by the numbers out there that right now if the NHL is closed down there are not enough jobs for the NHL players. Bring on the 35 million dollar cap.

YellHockey*

jwr38 said:
what it also SHOULD show by the numbers out there that right now if the NHL is closed down there are not enough jobs for the NHL players.

Yeah.

Because there wouldn't be a league starting up to take the NHL's place if it shut down in places like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Detroit, New York, Boston, Minnesota, Ottawa, Denver, Philadelphia, Chicago, San Jose, etc.

All those former NHLers would have to rely on jobs in Europe or, North America's best league, the AHL.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Which is why the owners are in absolutely no rush to get negotiations started again. They can sit back, make some money by renting the stadium for some Ashley Simpson lip syn concert and just wait it out. I think the union misjudged this situation completely. The sooner they accept the notion of a cap the sooner they will get back to work.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
I think it is ok for players to play where ever they can.

This is a LOCKOUT...not the players choice.
If it was a strike I would have problems with them playing elsewhere, but it isn't a strike.

If my company locked me out I would go get a temp job as well, everyone has bills to pay...if this meant i had to take a job from someone who wasn't as good as me at a certain skill, then that is what has to happen, I would feel bad about it, but it's Eat or be eaten boys.

If euro players want to blame anyone, blame NHL owners and the NHL.
Unbiased Canadian

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
Cawz said:
Its like talking to a brick wall sometimes. You dont seriously think... oh never mind. This has been beaten to death on these boards already.

Youre funny.

The players would have kept playing this season while a deal could have been worked out, unfortunately, the owners LOCKED THEM OUT.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
Unbiased Canadian said:
everyone has bills to pay

and it's much easier for a millionaire to pay their bills even without working than it is someone who makes 30 thousand~ to do, player A is an nhler making 3 million a year... player x plays in the SEL making 25,000 a year. player A has played in the nhl for 5 years and has made roughly 15 million dollars while player x has only played for two years and only made 50,000. Financially player A could go a year or two without working and still be set without having to stretch to make a car payment or the like... whereas player X HAS to play or money would be stretched tight.

bottom line, hockey players ARE NOT large corporations, they have no right taking jobs away from the little guy. At least when a larger corporation absorbs a smaller one, the little guy gets paid off. Just another take on the whole matter.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
garry1221 said:
and it's much easier for a millionaire to pay their bills even without working than it is someone who makes 30 thousand~ to do, player A is an nhler making 3 million a year... player x plays in the SEL making 25,000 a year. player A has played in the nhl for 5 years and has made roughly 15 million dollars while player x has only played for two years and only made 50,000. Financially player A could go a year or two without working and still be set without having to stretch to make a car payment or the like... whereas player X HAS to play or money would be stretched tight.

bottom line, hockey players ARE NOT large corporations, they have no right taking jobs away from the little guy. At least when a larger corporation absorbs a smaller one, the little guy gets paid off. Just another take on the whole matter.

Think about it....would you rather have Joe Sombodyov on your team or Joe Thornton.....blame the Euro clubs then, not the players.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Unbiased Canadian said:
The players would have kept playing this season while a deal could have been worked out, unfortunately, the owners LOCKED THEM OUT.
Like I said, this has been beaten to death on these boards. If no hockey hasnt resulted in a deal being worked out, how would a deal be worked out if the season was on? Think about it. Realistically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad