Post-Game Talk: This is 40. Toronto beat up on Habs 5:2

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
1. Fix the damn PP. Stop passing and start shooting. At least start moving on the PP instead. Not having a point shot really hurts our PP

2. Keefe manage marner's minutes ffs. we have clinched the playoffs. stop piling on the mins on him
Sandin has a decent point shot but we haven't seen much of it yet.

One thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is how slow they are with their passing. They need to be way quicker and actually make the PK move.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Player movement on the PP creates defensive confusion and opens up passing lanes for cross ice plays .. It was a good set up, probably the best movement we've seen from the PP in awhile. They just didn't convert, but it's a step in the right direction.

It's the complete opposite of the 5 on 4 PP's with too much standing and passing around. Way easier to defend the lanes and shooting threats when the players barely move.
Well
You’d think it should be better on a 5-3 advantage

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
1. Fix the damn PP. Stop passing and start shooting. At least start moving on the PP instead. Not having a point shot really hurts our PP

2. Keefe manage marner's minutes ffs. we have clinched the playoffs. stop piling on the mins on him
ye the big issue now that they have figured out the entries is to stop skating in molasses in the offensive zone, they are giving the opposing teams too much time to read the plays.

Reactions: PromisedLand

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Engvall was skating hard today... looks like he finally noticed that he is likely the odd man out in the playoffs.
He really has to start finding some internal motivation or something... He clearly has the talent that belongs in this lineup, but when he gets any perceived job security, he's awful. Doesn't even care to make contact with anyone. But when he's in a spot where he needs to battle to stay, he's a damn good player.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

One thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is how slow they are with their passing. They need to be way quicker and actually make the PK move.

It seems like they're allowed to freelance and "let their instincts" create players. But because they're struggling, they take too much time that a play never develops.

It's no secret they primarily look to Matthews' for a the shot. Marner has somehow forgetting to set up plays down low or find the bumper for the middle of the ice shot/tip.

I just hope they're rope-a-doping the competition now ahead of a playoff series and the pull out some adjustments come that time.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Player movement on the PP creates defensive confusion and opens up passing lanes for cross ice plays .. It was a good set up, probably the best movement we've seen from the PP in awhile. They just didn't convert, but it's a step in the right direction.

It's the complete opposite of the 5 on 4 PP's with too much standing and passing around. Way easier to defend the lanes and shooting threats when the players barely move.
Some of it was movement for movements sake, which isn't ideal. I'd rather see us moving the puck high low and then gaining some space/separation, but I didn't mind the 5on3 overall

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

they are over thinking the PP trying to make "cute plays".

I think the stacked PP doesn't work and I really think that Nylander is really wasted on the PP. He has the shot but cant do much on that PP

They gotta have 2 solid units in the playoffs play them about a 1 min each and move on. Nylander's shot is not utilized on PP is something really pissing me off

Reactions: Rocker13

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Anyone catch the play where Perry took a cheap shot at Matthews, so Jumbo went and took a shot at one of the Habs players?

People underestimate Jumbo. He has a edge to his game, he always did. Dude fought some tough players in this league as well, including Wilson, Benn and Getzlaf. Those are some big boys

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I get the PP has been crap, but I wouldn't be showing the Habs anything new this close to the PO's

Reactions: fahad203

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

The player should be on point is really Holl. He has a strong shot and decent carrier

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Engvall was skating hard today... looks like he finally noticed that he is likely the odd man out in the playoffs.
So are these athletes ;)
upload_2021-5-6_19-1-42.gif

Reactions: Superstar

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Mcdavid ain't resting because his individual accomplishments are more important then the team. He wants to hit 100 points. Can't say I blame him... but still I bet if he wasn't having such an incredible season, he would rest.
Its just as important to matthews.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I get the PP has been crap, but I wouldn't be showing the Habs anything new this close to the PO's

I really think that's why they didn't put 2nd unit in. It's almost like let the guys play keep away for a while

No way if they put Spezza and Gally in 5 on 3 they dont' score

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
they are over thinking the PP trying to make "cute plays".

I think the stacked PP doesn't work and I really think that Nylander is really wasted on the PP. He has the shot but cant do much on that PP

They gotta have 2 solid units in the playoffs play them about a 1 min each and move on. Nylander's shot is not utilized on PP is something really pissing me off

None of the PP combos have worked lately, that's for sure.

Wonder if having Marner/Nylander on the half walls with Matthew's in the bumper spot might work. They'd have a hell of a lot easier of a time getting Matthews' shot off from the middle of the ice than on the half wall. A lot more one timers.

That would cause the PK keep closer to the middle of the ice and open up lanes for everyone else.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Pretty sloppy game TBH. Definitely deserved the W, but it was not pretty IMO. I will give them a bit of a pass, its tough to keep the foot on the gas when you're up 4 after 16 mins. Hopefully we can develop a bit more of a killer instinct in the playoffs. after 4-0 there should have never been a point where my heart rate went above the resting heart rate. We gave them a bit of life by not moving and being too cute. Can't do that in the playoffs

Reactions: Brown Dog

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I really think that's why they didn't put 2nd unit in. It's almost like let the guys play keep away for a while

No way if they put Spezza and Gally in 5 on 3 they dont' score

3 Goal lead
5-3 with 2:30 to play

Just toss it around and don't give em anything to get mad about.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Manny Malhotra should be fired asap for turning the pp into the dogshit its become today.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Manny Malhotra should be fired asap for turning the pp into the dogshit its become today.

Well at some point, you have to get a point man with a shot. It's not like Hekstol/other dude Paul something did a good job either
So it can't be all coaches

Reactions: Teeder Keon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad