This is 1 reason why i think USA Hockey out trumps (pun none intended) other countries development

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
- Read the entire article please -

NTDP's past, present and future show up in Plymouth for preseason training camp

I think in organizing things like this, makes the USA Hockey 1 tier above other countries at the moment.
Soon, because of events like this and other similar events, i think USA will actually rise above Canada,
in both international and in national level. With national level i obviously meant NHL
and with international level,major junior hockey, junior development, u20,u18,u17 and so forth.

Canadian Hockey needs to change gears/things to keep up with USA hockey in coming years,
not to mention Finland is growing each year a lot, bringing back gold from the international games
and big & young names keeps developing to the NHL more than ever, Russian hockey
has started its own new rise, Canada i think is slowly falling behind and loosing eventually its 1st place
as the dominant power in hockey, for real. - quality over quantity

Canada is still the #1 next 2 seasons, however,...from 2021-2022 season on,
i predict that USA Hockey will rise to the #1 position.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
USA has a ton of players, need to keep that in mind. But of course, most countries can't carry out a Soviet-style NTDP program like the USNTDP. It requires a lot of resources.

Reactions: Dominance

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
This is good for furthering development but the root is through the ADM (American Development Model) with kids that are 12-13 and under. Using half sheets of ice and in lots of cases just one part of a certain zone. How many times have you seen in the past at least when I was growing up a bunch of young kids just following the one guy with the puck that might be a bit more advanced than they are at an early age. By shortening the ice it gets players used to being forced to make plays with little time and space and just figure it out on their own while having fun. Also, skating is being emphasized from a young age by instructors all over the country. The hallmark of American teams at the elite levels is almost all of these guys are good skaters now, especially on defense.

Here's a link to some brief info on it. More

Reactions: hn777

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The US system has grown a lot over the past while. I don't think they ever eclipse Canada for # of NHLers from there but I think they're going to be a strong #2.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
- Read the entire article please -

NTDP's past, present and future show up in Plymouth for preseason training camp

I think in organizing things like this, makes the USA Hockey 1 tier above other countries at the moment.
Soon, because of events like this and other similar events, i think USA will actually rise above Canada,
in both international and in national level. With national level i obviously meant NHL
and with international level,major junior hockey, junior development, u20,u18,u17 and so forth.

Canadian Hockey needs to change gears/things to keep up with USA hockey in coming years,
not to mention Finland is growing each year a lot, bringing back gold from the international games
and big & young names keeps developing to the NHL more than ever, Russian hockey
has started its own new rise, Canada i think is slowly falling behind and loosing eventually its 1st place
as the dominant power in hockey, for real. - quality over quantity

Canada is still the #1 next 2 seasons, however,...from 2021-2022 season on,
i predict that USA Hockey will rise to the #1 position.

It depends what you think the end goal is. Hockey in Canada isn't geared towards developing good junior teams, they're geared towards developing players.

USA Hockey has been improving at developing better players, but they've also focused more on keeping them playing together.

that's resulted in a fair bit more success in World Junior tournaments, but they don't come close to developing the number of elite players Canada does.

Given that most top players from Canda go through the CHL, I don't really think you'll see any of the national development program teams that have these kids playing together for large parts of the year. But the CHL is one hell of a development league, and still produces the best players in the world.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This is good for furthering development but the root is through the ADM (American Development Model) with kids that are 12-13 and under. Using half sheets of ice and in lots of cases just one part of a certain zone. How many times have you seen in the past at least when I was growing up a bunch of young kids just following the one guy with the puck that might be a bit more advanced than they are at an early age. By shortening the ice it gets players used to being forced to make plays with little time and space and just figure it out on their own while having fun. Also, skating is being emphasized from a young age by instructors all over the country. The hallmark of American teams at the elite levels is almost all of these guys are good skaters now, especially on defense.

Here's a link to some brief info on it. More

This is true. The NTDP gets a disproportionate amount of focus in my opinion. If you put poor prospects into a great program when they turn 16 then you won't end up with great players.

Reactions: NTDP

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Be interesting if Canada had a Canadian National Development Team and played Jr.A in Canada. But there's so many Jr.A leagues in Canada but the BCHL & AJHL are the top leagues.

It might be hard to recruit top players from Ontario/Quebec to relocate to Western Canada?

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
This is true. The NTDP gets a disproportionate amount of focus in my opinion. If you put poor prospects into a great program when they turn 16 then you won't end up with great players.

Yup I agree with you, obviously an article talking about some of the best American players at the ages of 15-mid 20’s is going to be great. It’s how they got there and their development through our youth programs at 13 and under for example that needs to be noted. And those programs are producing very good players that don’t go the NTDP route but are making leagues like the NAHL and USHL better every few years.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yup I agree with you, obviously an article talking about some of the best American players at the ages of 15-mid 20’s is going to be great. It’s how they got there and their development through our youth programs at 13 and under for example that needs to be noted. And those programs are producing very good players that don’t go the NTDP route but are making leagues like the NAHL and USHL better every few years.

I agree and this is largely why I find it pretty silly when people suggest (not in this thread per se) that Canada needs to adopt a NTDP like hothousing program. Development starts a decade before players show up there or in major junior. If the United States kept its old development program but kept the NTDP at the end, the results would be pretty underwhelming. I know that Hockey Canada has implemented some changes like playing hockey across the width of the ice for young players.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I agree and this is largely why I find it pretty silly when people suggest (not in this thread per se) that Canada needs to adopt a NTDP like hothousing program. Development starts a decade before players show up there or in major junior. If the United States kept its old development program but kept the NTDP at the end, the results would be pretty underwhelming. I know that Hockey Canada has implemented some changes like playing hockey across the width of the ice for young players.

Yeah I don’t think it’s necessary for Canada to have an NTDP with a 60 team junior league across the country and parts of the US. It would water down many CHL teams and to suggest they’d play against BCHL or AJHL teams - they would destroy Junior A teams.

And yes I noticed watching the WJSS the Hockey Canada higher ups were saying they have implemented similar training methods for younger players like we do. The US will never truly surpass Canada as a hockey power but it’s great to watch these teams go toe to toe at theU-20 level and under.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Be interesting if Canada had a Canadian National Development Team and played Jr.A in Canada. But there's so many Jr.A leagues in Canada but the BCHL & AJHL are the top leagues.

It might be hard to recruit top players from Ontario/Quebec to relocate to Western Canada?
Quebec maybe, just because of language differences. But if Canada had a program with a recent track record like the USNTDP, and it was based in Alberta or BC I don't think Hockey Canada would have much of an issue convincing kids to relocate there from Ontario or the Maritimes. The biggest recruitment problem would be competing with the elite CHL teams.

Reactions: Huck Cheever

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Is Amerrican system that better, than others, though? Yeah, they won ton of U18 tournaments, but at U20 level the situation is pretty even, and it's considering Russia is just starting to get crops from its rebuilt development system. In 5 years we'll see even stronger Russian U18-U20 generation.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
The one advantage USA has had in the U18 tournament is that the USA team is essentially a club that has been playing together for two full seasons while the other nations are really just All-Star teams.

One of the main reasons that the US NTDP was formed was to give players a higher level of hockey to play while maintaining their NCAA eligibility instead of jumping to the CHL, which Canada and other nations don't care about. Canada, obviously, wants to keep their players home and has rules in place specifically favoring the CHL, so they would never consider forming an NTDP of their own.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
USA Hockey is the only major hockey county that has yet to win a gold medal at the men's level in this current century.

Here in Canada we’ve been hearing this American propaganda for multiple decades now. At the end of the day it’s hard not to laugh when we hear these proclamations of the US “overtaking Canada in hockey”

Last Olympic Gold - 1980
Last IIHF WC - 1933
Last World Cup - 1996

The articles are cute and all but there is quite literally nothing that has come from the 2004, 2010 and 2013 US IIHF World Junior teams, those teams we were all told and shoved down our throats as being “the future of American hockey”

I’m not buying it, I thoroughly know that Canada will ice superior all round teams compared to the US for a very long time to come.

While certainly lofty goals to surpass Canada, I think the US should aim for catching up to Finland first.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The US system has grown a lot over the past while. I don't think they ever eclipse Canada for # of NHLers from there but I think they're going to be a strong #2.

Canada has seen declines in NHL players every decade since the expansion era while the United States continues strong growth.

Canada - 96.6%
USA - 1.8%

Canada - 85.1%
USA - 9.8%

Canada - 75.6%
USA - 15.3%

Canada - 61%
USA - 16.2%

Canada - 51.6%
USA - 23%

Canada - 43.5%
USA - 28.6%

It's only a matter of time until Canada is no longer the dominant hockey country.

Last edited:

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Canada has seen declines in NHL players every decade since the expansion era while the United States continues strong growth.

Canada - 96.6%
USA - 1.8%

Canada - 85.1%
USA - 9.8%

Canada - 75.6%
USA - 15.3%

Canada - 61%
USA - 16.2%

Canada - 51.6%
USA - 23%

Canada - 43.5%
USA - 28.6%

It's only a matter of time until Canada is no longer the dominant hockey country.
10% drop each decade is a lot.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I assume we are talking about best on best here...

Canada has won the last 2 pro on pro Olympics and the gimmicky world cup. Their 2c is either Crosby or Mcdavid.

They will stay on top for awhile... However .. the Top 5 is very competitive and the gap is getting smaller for Canadian dominance.

I can't predict the future but I think Canada would have to lose a few best on bests in a row before we start declaring a new king.

It is amazing what all the top 5 Nations are doing. Finland is becoming a hockey factory. Sweden just keeps bringing out more elite dmen every year. US is getting a bigger chunk on NHL every season and have some elite elite players. This morning I read an article on top 10 goalies in NHL and top 2 were Russian. Toss in all the Russian goalie prospects coming up and Russia might be the new goalie factory.

If we had a legit best on best at next Olympics it would be very close... But till Canada starts losing some of those... They remain king for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad