This Friday the Draft order for the 2005 may be set !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
League's 30 general managers meet in Detroit on Thursday and Friday to discuss rule changes.

Also on the agenda in Detroit will be a discussion of the draft order for the 2005 class. Oh to be a fly on the wall. All 30 GMs desperately want to get their hands on hockey phenom Sidney Crosby so the conversation should be more than a little lively. The bottom-feeders want to stick with last year's standings to figure out the new draft order, while the big boys want a league-wide lottery where every team has a fair shot at the No. 1 overall pick.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050403_120108_4872

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
How about using the AHL standings to determine the order? They can flip a coin to see who goes first for the teams with joint-affiliations such as Calgary/Carolina and Montreal/Dallas.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Crossbar said:
How about using the AHL standings to determine the order? They can flip a coin to see who goes first for the teams with joint-affiliations such as Calgary/Carolina and Montreal/Dallas.

Oh yeah, that's a great idea... :confused:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The Messenger said:
League's 30 general managers meet in Detroit on Thursday and Friday to discuss rule changes.

Also on the agenda in Detroit will be a discussion of the draft order for the 2005 class. Oh to be a fly on the wall. All 30 GMs desperately want to get their hands on hockey phenom Sidney Crosby so the conversation should be more than a little lively. The bottom-feeders want to stick with last year's standings to figure out the new draft order, while the big boys want a league-wide lottery where every team has a fair shot at the No. 1 overall pick.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050403_120108_4872

Of course the "big boys" do... :shakehead

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
The Messenger said:
while the big boys want a league-wide lottery where every team has a fair shot at the No. 1 overall pick.

Who the "big boys" are? Actually I would be surprised you are talking about NHL GMs, because they will understand. It is just illogic to have a league-wide lottery and SO unfair to the smaller teams, that just never happen and every single NHL GM can't that.

The "big boys" you are talking about are in fact illusional fans like you who makes them believe their team have a shot at Crosby. They are the only one who ask for a league-wide lottery.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Keeping last year's order is a ridiculous idea. Washington would get Ovechkin AND Crosby? :lol:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
No one knows what would have happened this season, or what will happen in the next NHL season. The NFL has shown that in a capped system teams can make full swings in a single season, and then collapse right back down the next year. So the only fair way to do things is a full lottery with zero weight.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I don't think there is any way they go for either of those two extremes, as either using last years standings or having a pure, unweighted lottery seem equally unfair. I think they will most definitely end up with some sort of weighted lottery system though, some kind of compromise.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Basing this year's draft order on the results from the 2003-2004 season is not going to happen. Why should a team like Washington get to pick first two seasons in a row when the second season didn't even happen? That's not going to happen.

But a league-wide lottery isn't fair either. It's totally random, but that doesn't mean it's fair or makes sense. The whole reason for a specific order to the draft is so that the weakest teams have the best chance of drafting the best prospects. How could the league explain itself if Tampa Bay, fresh off a Cup win, won the lottery and drafted Crosby to go along with Lecavalier and Richards. That's ridiculous.

I think the NHL should just hold off on having a draft and wait until the regular season is over (once it finally happens). I know people are already impatient and want to see Crosby right away, but the only alternative I see is having a draft order based on the cumulative records of the NHL's 30 teams over the past three years or so. That would put teams like Pittsburgh, Columbus, Atlanta, etc. at the top of the draft order where a lottery could determine who among those teams gets Crosby.

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
I'm for a wide open draft lottery and it wouldn't matter were you finished last year. for example, Tampa would have the same odds on landing the 1st overall as Washington or Pittsburgh.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Compromise is going to be a weighted lottery system:

only the worst 5 or 10 teams from the 03-04 season will have a shot at Crosby.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I think the most fair way to decide draft order is separate teams into two brackets. 2003 Playoff teams and non-playoff teams, each bracket with no weight.

cj

Jul 17, 2004
As a Canucks fan, I think the draft order should be weighted according to overall franchise records, or just an average of the last 35 years. Either way works. :innocent:

Seriously though, I'm hoping Chicago gets the first pick. The longest suffering fans in the NHL deserve some good news for a change.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
the only fair way to do it is this:

schedule the draft for end of january...play out the first half of the next NHL season, and use the standings from that.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
McDonald19 said:
Compromise is going to be a weighted lottery system:

only the worst 5 or 10 teams from the 03-04 season will have a shot at Crosby.

I read where the compromise would be a tiered lottery where each grouping of five would be chosen randomly based on 03-04's results. Pure speculation, but that sounds reasonable to me.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
neelynugs said:
the only fair way to do it is this:

schedule the draft for end of january...play out the first half of the next NHL season, and use the standings from that.

Yeah, double the incentive for teams to tank during the NHL reopening season.
:dunno: Not sure it is a great idea.

I think it would be best to have a lottery weighed on the last 3 seasons or so. With the worst 5 teams having 50% chance, worst 10 - 80% chance. But give the other teams non-zero chance to get a top pick, even if that chance is small.

think-blue-

Sep 28, 2002
Visit site
markov` said:
Who the "big boys" are? Actually I would be surprised you are talking about NHL GMs, because they will understand. It is just illogic to have a league-wide lottery and SO unfair to the smaller teams, that just never happen and every single NHL GM can't that.

The "big boys" you are talking about are in fact illusional fans like you who makes them believe their team have a shot at Crosby. They are the only one who ask for a league-wide lottery.

Brian Burke said a few weeks ago on CKNW that there was at least one 90 point team who was adamant at not using last year's standings to determine the draft order, you shouldn't be surprised if there are more.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
shveik said:
Yeah, double the incentive for teams to tank during the NHL reopening season.
:dunno: Not sure it is a great idea.

I think it would be best to have a lottery weighed on the last 3 seasons or so. With the worst 5 teams having 50% chance, worst 10 - 80% chance. But give the other teams non-zero chance to get a top pick, even if that chance is small.

IMO the 2001-2002 season should have nothing to do w/the 2005 Draft. If you follow that logic, neither should 02-03. Crosby aside, teams like Carolina, Washington, Chicago and Pittsburgh need a high pick. The Canes made the Cup Finals a few years back, and now I'd argue they need a top pick more than any bottom five team.

I'd find it uber-hypocritical if amidst a lockout in which the owners are desperately trying to create league parity, the NHL finds a way to palm Crosby to a favorable market via an arbitrary draft method.

Just my 0.02c

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
They should make it so the Caps and Pens can't land in the top 2... after that, I think a 30 team lottery is most fair. Weighted toward the teams who have averaged the worst records in the last 3 or 4 years... Pens and Caps should NOT be on the bill until pick no. 3 is chosen.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
BobMarleyNYR said:
They should make it so the Caps and Pens can't land in the top 2... after that, I think a 30 team lottery is most fair. Weighted toward the teams who have averaged the worst records in the last 3 or 4 years... Pens and Caps should NOT be on the bill until pick no. 3 is chosen.

Why?

They should not hold a draft until the completion of another season. I'm confident, unhappily, that the Caps are the worst team in the NHL right now and if that's true they deserve the #1 pick overall.

It will be a shame if they hold a draft without a season to base the draft order on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->