This franchise is an absolute mess right now

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I find it odd that Reinhart would say he went back to his game after the Winter Classic as if Housley was trying to have him do something else and it just wasn't working.

Who else is coaching?
He may have just been playing differently. Not confident enough. Bad habits. Overthinking things. Too many losing seasons and a particularly rough start to the year for the entire team can do that.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Interpreting what Reinhart said beyond him to stop 'overthinking', but instead as repudiation of Housley, is a jump that is speculation at best.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
For all we know, getting back to "his game" meant finally listening to something housley was telling him. It would be a great question if you had an extended 1-1 with Sam to ask. Failing that, we've got no idea, no contextual clues, no coaching instructions to compare his performance against, nada.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
What's the point of using a message board if you're just going to block anyone that doesn't agree with you?

It really depends on the individual and how judiciously they use the function. I would say that my experience here is greatly improved by being able to occasionally filter out posters whose posts become overbearing, antagonistic, repetitive, predictable. The tenor of the boards can change dramatically with 2-3 fewer voices. I can always click to see their content if they seem to have started an interesting conversation with other posters. I can always unblock them later if the winds change and they start posting great content. I've done it to posters I respect, off and on.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
This franchise is in the best shape it has been in for at least a decade.

I can’t recall the Sabres having a young core that compares to Eichel Reinhart Mittelstadt Dahlin and Ristolainen - ever.

Perreault Martin Gare Schoenfeld in 74/75? Gare was the baby then and he’s older than Mittlestadt or Dahlin now. Andreychuk, Housley, Turgeon, Bodger, Mogilny in ‘89? No way. Vanek, Roy, Pominville, Miller, Campbell in ‘06? Those guys weren’t babies and they weren’t elite.

All the current group is going to need is some judicious management support, good coaching and half-a-dozen NHLers to emerge from a huge pot of stewing prospects assembled by Botterill and Murray - and time -and we will be enjoying a decade of contending.

The bad contracts are coming off the books. The asset pool is full and includes a couple extra high picks next year, The owner will spend and treats the players well. The GM understands assets and the fact that his players are people too.

The problem with the fanbase is that it has been kicked for so long, it doesn’t understand what it has and it believes it is smarter than people who have trained their entire lives for this. And they want instant gratification from a core that is essentially comprised of babies.

Complain about the decisions made about roster scraps, or the fact the Botterill hasn’t made sexy Murray trades if it makes you feel better. The good times are coming. He’s doing this the right way - a young core developing together.

When the kids hit their stride - which will start now with Reinhart and Eichel - winning will follow. It probably won’t be much this year. Too many kids finding their legs. But it will happen, we will be good, probably as soon as next year.

We are close to critical mass. The sun is rising and it is going to be a beautiful day,

Last edited:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Are we sure that's was appropriate for a thread which exists as the antithesis of the 'we can be better' catharsis?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Sataphonehome's post is a fair comparison. Remember though, in the early 70's, Perreault, Martin, Schoenfeld, Ramsay, and Gare all joined BUF at a time when Junior players were drafted at age 20, not 18.

Note also, Robert, Korab, Guevremont were all acquired via trade.

2018: Sheary = Robert???

Of course, it also wasn't a cap era.
===
Perhaps that's all in the back of my mind why I don't understand the motivation & poor return for the ROR trade. Sabres had their Don Luce (older versatile player acquired via trade, not flashy, defensive shadow center) role in ROR...

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I find it odd that Reinhart would say he went back to his game after the Winter Classic as if Housley was trying to have him do something else and it just wasn't working.

Who else is coaching?
Maybe he changed something on his own? Like instead of being a perimeter player, he went back in front of the net? You know, these guys are professionals, they adjust their game all the time.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
What’s super unforgivable at this point is that while the NHL roster is about as bad as it could possibly be with 2 elite talents, there is no contract room because there are like 25 NHL contracts in Rochester. There doesn’t appear to be one job Botterill is doing well.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
What’s super unforgivable at this point is that while the NHL roster is about as bad as it could possibly be with 2 elite talents, there is no contract room because there are like 25 NHL contracts in Rochester. There doesn’t appear to be one job Botterill is doing well.
Not being Tim Murray.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

Uhh, most of them end before next season. Lots of competition, lots of decisions to make.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015

Unforgivable that Botterill has loaded up the farm.
Bad as it could possibly be.

No chance the competition brings the best out of those 25 Rochester contracts so they replace and upgrade the worst of those guys playing in Buffalo?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I can’t wait for f***ing Matt Tennyson to push Bogo out of the lineup. And Devante Stephens, surely he’s lighting a fire under McCabe’s ass. Most of those guys are average to below average AHL talents, so spare me the, “building the farm,” narrative that has essentially no factual basis.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I can’t wait for ****ing Matt Tennyson to push Bogo out of the lineup. And Devante Stephens, surely he’s lighting a fire under McCabe’s ass. Most of those guys are average to below average AHL talents, so spare me the, “building the farm,” narrative that has essentially no factual basis.

So no chance whatsoever that Borgen, Hickey, Pilut, Nelson or Guhle turn into NHL defencemen? Or McCabe or Bogosian have better seasons than last year?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
So no chance whatsoever that Borgen, Hickey, Pilut, Nelson or Guhle turn into NHL defencemen? Or McCabe or Bogosian have better seasons than last year?
It's not hard at all for Bogosian to have a better season than last season unless he plays under 18 games and gets 0 points.

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->