Speculation: This 20-21 Penguins team misses the playoffs... UPDATE - WRONG

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
*checks calendar* hmm not even National Sarcasm Day....

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If the Pens don’t make the playoffs, it’ll be their own fault.

I think we all are in agreement that if this team doesn’t win a round or two in the playoffs, ownership will have to finally dump dumb and dumber. They shouldn’t be employed by the Pens at this point.

Since we won’t have any preseason games or much of any training camp, I highly doubt our young guys get much playing time, and we will be stuck playing the fringe players that we signed. These guys that some thought would just be complimentary players, will be playing more than you think.

I think we can get in, but other teams need to have key injuries. I’m hoping Sid and Geno carry the team and succeed despite the incompetent coaching and roster moves.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This season being a bust implies big expectations. I think if you've got big expectations for this team, this season, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I could very easily see us missing the playoffs if a couple of things don't pan out for us. If Sid or Geno get injured for any significant length of time. If Marino or Jarry stumble following pretty amazing first seasons. If guys like Matheson and Ceci turn out to be the new Schultz and JJ respectively. Lots of things are up in the air for us this season. Shortened season can really magnify the impact of one or more things going wrong.

I still think we'll make it because that's just what this team does somehow, but I'll be damned if I think we have any chance at making a run as of right now.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh Penguins will make playoffs .
The real educated answer is: The Penguins may or may not make the playoffs. It really depends on their health and how they gel together as a team. There are some strengths in that top 6 and some areas of opportunity throughout. Let's see how it goes!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The real educated answer is: The Penguins may or may not make the playoffs. It really depends on their health and how they gel together as a team. There are some strengths in that top 6 and some areas of opportunity throughout. Let's see how it goes!

I mean then that’s the answer every year. This team got rid of multiple pieces that led to them being a worse team and Hornqvist and Kahun while adding hopefully full seasons of Guentzel, Zucker, and Kapanen.

I’m not really sure how we miss the playoffs unless injuries happen or Jarry and Desmith can not hold up their bargain.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I mean then that’s the answer every year. This team got rid of multiple pieces that led to them being a worse team and Hornqvist and Kahun while adding hopefully full seasons of Guentzel, Zucker, and Kapanen.

I’m not really sure how we miss the playoffs unless injuries happen or Jarry and Desmith can not hold up their bargain.
I mean it is a sport league. Anything is possible.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I mean it is a sport league. Anything is possible.

Most analytical models I’ve seen give us a better chance to make it than most of the other teams in our division. We also have done little to modify the true guts of a roster that finished 7th overall last year.

Would it surprise me for us not to make it? No, freak season after a weird offseason and a lot of changes to expect to gel without any real practices or camp.

Do I expect them to make it? Absolutely.

I think we will know by the end of January how this is going to go.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't think this team is built to survive metro only play...

I think this season will be a return to the blood sport version of hockey...

Back to back rivalry games all season long..... woooooo boyyyyy. THIS will be interesting.

Still don't think they penguins will survive it. I sure hope I'm wrong though.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't think this team is built to survive metro only play...

I think this season will be a return to the blood sport version of hockey...

Back to back rivalry games all season long..... woooooo boyyyyy. THIS will be interesting.

Still don't think they penguins will survive it. I sure hope I'm wrong though.

If we aren’t built to survive I question how NJ, NYR, BOS, and PHI are because we are all pretty much identically built.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
If we aren’t built to survive I question how NJ, NYR, BOS, and PHI are because we are all pretty much identically built.

Penguins are back to inept passing / receiving.
NJ is most likely out.
NYR is on their way up and Boston is just good at what they do.

Penguins don't seem to be on the same level half the time.
If they are... then I expect them to handle themselves fine.

If they go into the season like MTL series... there really isn't much time in this schedule to get their stuff together.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Penguins are back to inept passing / receiving.
NJ is most likely out.
NYR is on their way up and Boston is just good at what they do.

Penguins don't seem to be on the same level half the time.
If they are... then I expect them to handle themselves fine.

If they go into the season like MTL series... there really isn't much time in this schedule to get their stuff together.

I think people are really underestimating how bad our division got. And now Barzal is supposedly in contentious talks.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I think people are really underestimating how bad our division got. And now Barzal is supposedly in contentious talks.

Islanders with or without Barzal still would worry me. I did see that he didn't go right back to the isles, didn't look into it though. Any chance he leaves?

NYR is getting better.
WSH is getting slighty worse. Slightly.
NYI can beat the penguins and are pretty good anyway.
PHI was hottest team until the debacle.
BOS pretty much solid... didn't a d man leave? McAvoy or someone?
NJ... meh... don't really care.

ADD:

PIT - can they pass this year? Can they play on the same page? Will the D be a disaster? Other questions too, but most concern of mine is what I've posted.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Islanders with or without Barzal still would worry me. I did see that he didn't go right back to the isles, didn't look into it though. Any chance he leaves?

NYR is getting better.
WSH is getting slighty worse. Slightly.
NYI can beat the penguins and are pretty good anyway.
PHI was hottest team until the debacle.
BOS pretty much solid... didn't a d man leave? McAvoy or someone?
NJ... meh... don't really care.

ADD:

PIT - can they pass this year? Can they play on the same page? Will the D be a disaster? Other questions too, but most concern of mine is what I've posted.

NYI is downgrading their goaltending duo and lost both Boychuk and Toews.

BOS lost Chara and Krug. Pasta and Marchand are recovering from surgery

WAS is banking on Schultz and Chara being significant additions on their D. Also goaltending duo is a question mark.

PHI lost their 2nd most used defenseman and their old core is slowly falling off way quicker than ours. Not to mention they are paying 7 mil for a JVR they barely use.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
NYI is downgrading their goaltending duo and lost both Boychuk and Toews.

BOS lost Chara and Krug. Pasta and Marchand are recovering from surgery

WAS is banking on Schultz and Chara being significant additions on their D. Also goaltending duo is a question mark.

PHI lost their 2nd most used defenseman and their old core is slowly falling off way quicker than ours. Not to mention they are paying 7 mil for a JVR they barely use.

Just saw B's lost Chara to the Caps... hah...

Chara and Wilson to get through... that'll be interesting.

I just see the schedule and think this is every old school hockey fan's dreams... nothing but divisional rivalry games for an entire season...

I'm super excited. Man oh man do I hope the penguins dont lay an egg... anything but what we got last year. Where watching ANY other team was a vast improvement than having to deal with the penguins crap show.

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007
On paper I feel like this team is in trouble as we approach the season, but who knows? Maybe the coaching changes will make a difference. We'll see. Either way I'm just glad hockey is back.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
On paper I feel like this team is in trouble as we approach the season, but who knows? Maybe the coaching changes will make a difference. We'll see. Either way I'm just glad hockey is back.
Agreed. It will be good to have hockey back for more than 4 games. I hope the Pens can find a way to succeed despite a poor off-season.

Go Pens

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Agreed. It will be good to have hockey back for more than 4 games. I hope the Pens can find a way to succeed despite a poor off-season.

Go Pens
I myself liked what we did up until free agency. Paid kind of a premium for KK, but other than that like what we did, again up until free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->