Speculation: This 20-21 Penguins team misses the playoffs... UPDATE - WRONG

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Can’t give out loser points in OT, if you lose in regulation...
tenor.gif

Reactions: ChaosAgent

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I mean, to be fair, Sunday was our best game of the season... the format this year allows a team to make up ground or lose it real fast .... this will be like every other crap start the past 15 years....

Doom and gloom... then some amazing stretch where they are virtually unbeatable, then a lazy period right at the end

Well unless they fire the coach....

Reactions: BillyOcean

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I mean, to be fair, Sunday was our best game of the season... the format this year allows a team to make up ground or lose it real fast .... this will be like every other crap start the past 15 years....

Doom and gloom... then some amazing stretch where they are virtually unbeatable, then a lazy period right at the end

Well unless they fire the coach....

I'm not as confident that the amazing stretch will happen

There has been very little glimmer of skill out there to even latch on to

Reactions: Andy99

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I love how this thread always and probably will always appear after a loss :laugh:

Seriously, we a bubble team and knew if from the beggining, if we make the playoffs it`s most probably going to be in 4th place, so either way, no surprises unless Hextall starts going JR nuts!

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I'm not as confident that the amazing stretch will happen

There has been very little glimmer of skill out there to even latch on to

thats the mantra every time we start like this... every time... we should pull archived threads up to see if every poster has the same opinions lol...

Zucker Rust Geno Sid and jake are high end talents... Kap is a streaky guy capable of a top six role
The third line looks fine... the fourth is a fourth... its not what makes or breaks a team...

There is a template for this.... heck in 2016 it was trade sid, he is cooked.... Kessel is a bust, bonino is a vanilla loser... the defense sucks... scuds is too big an anchor... we grabbed a bad contract hagelin and swapped scuds for thought to be trash at the time daley and won a cup

I don’t expect a cup, but this team will push for the playoffs just fine...

Yeah sully is tuned out... but still there is plenty of nhl caliber talent here... we will be fine

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I do agree. The pens always Always ALWAYS start like shit.

Our best player is ZACH ASTON Reese and both goalies are terrible

That's also five years ago, man

Last edited:

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I love how this thread always and probably will always appear after a loss :laugh:

Seriously, we a bubble team and knew if from the beggining, if we make the playoffs it`s most probably going to be in 4th place, so either way, no surprises unless Hextall starts going JR nuts!
I’ve been bumping it too when they have “won” and played like trash too... but please keep pushing that narrative :rolleyes:

Reactions: KIRK

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I'm starting to understand why many of the old farts who run these teams seem to be complacent or slow to react relative to fans' expectations (perhaps with the notable exception of JR).

After watching hockey for 30+ years, my takeaway is that there is no magic winning formula. Bob McCown wrote a book ~15 years ago that included a piece about how much luck factors into the outcome of hockey games. This is backed up by the statistics: on any given day, the 20th ranked team in the NHL can beat the best team. How often does that happen in football or basketball? How often does the "Cup favorite" actually win the Cup relative to basketball?

This point extends to team building. In the Crosby/Malkin era, I think an argument could be made that our teams were better on paper in '08 and '13 than they were in any other year. Who would have argued that by losing Hossa (+ Detroit adding him) that we'd beat the Wings in a rematch in '09? Who would have argued that our 2016 team would win a Cup? Who would have argued that our 2017 team (minus Letang and constantly being outshot) would repeat? Hockey's a fickle game. Good teams can become great teams for a few weeks and win a Cup. Great teams can be stymied by mediocre teams. Heck, how did our '93 team not threepeat?

I'm just enjoying the Crosby/Malkin era while it's still here. I didn't expect '16 and '17. Everything from here on out is gravy and I'm not going to lose sleep if this team misses the Playoffs or wins a Cup. I live in Vancouver, a hockey-mad city that has known nothing but heartbreak since the team's inception half a century ago. As Pens' fans, we're spoiled rotten.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I don't buy the we're spoiled thing

Go on the canucks board, tell me they don't scream and bitch and moan about the EXACT same things

Only diff is our favorite team pulled it off

I'm not nearly as annoying in real life as i am here.. This is an emotional outlet and vent. I don't need to be even keeled about blowing it all up!

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I'm starting to understand why many of the old farts who run these teams seem to be complacent or slow to react relative to fans' expectations (perhaps with the notable exception of JR).

After watching hockey for 30+ years, my takeaway is that there is no magic winning formula. Bob McCown wrote a book ~15 years ago that included a piece about how much luck factors into the outcome of hockey games. This is backed up by the statistics: on any given day, the 20th ranked team in the NHL can beat the best team. How often does that happen in football or basketball? How often does the "Cup favorite" actually win the Cup relative to basketball?

This point extends to team building. In the Crosby/Malkin era, I think an argument could be made that our teams were better on paper in '08 and '13 than they were in any other year. Who would have argued that by losing Hossa (+ Detroit adding him) that we'd beat the Wings in a rematch in '09? Who would have argued that our 2016 team would win a Cup? Who would have argued that our 2017 team (minus Letang and constantly being outshot) would repeat? Hockey's a fickle game. Good teams can become great teams for a few weeks and win a Cup. Great teams can be stymied by mediocre teams. Heck, how did our '93 team not threepeat?

I'm just enjoying the Crosby/Malkin era while it's still here. I didn't expect '16 and '17. Everything from here on out is gravy and I'm not going to lose sleep if this team misses the Playoffs or wins a Cup. I live in Vancouver, a hockey-mad city that has known nothing but heartbreak since the team's inception half a century ago. As Pens' fans, we're spoiled rotten.

What a great post. Everybody should read it... twice.

jr99svt

Sep 15, 2005
Altoona, PA

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
BobCole is absolutely right.
So I give him 10 Boomer thumbs up, because it takes a bit of age to have this perspective :).

I’d also say it validates the Pens considering every year of Sid and Malkin a year you try to go for it, because they just need to be great for those couple of weeks.

Eventually the odds of that happening are getting longer, but its still the right play, considering that we will almost guaranteed to be truly terrible when the transition comes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad