World Cup: Third-Place Play-off: Belgium vs. England, 7/14/2018

member 305909

Teams which are eliminated earlier in the competion check out of their hotels on the same evening of their last game or the next morning and head for the airport to go to their families and summer holidays before pre-season matches start etc.

Not so for the defeated semi-finalists; they have to stay around for 3-4 days more to play a match which nobody cares about.

On the other hand, often this meaningless match is a really good match because they just go for it and don't hold back as it doesn't matter if you lose or win.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Didn't see a thread for this and it's tomorrow morning. The Golden boot implications make it somewhat interesting. This game is so meaningless that Lukaku could explode with 4 goals in this.
I actually expect a pretty game. Both are out and does the risk of finishing 4th really warrant defensive play? They can choose to go out with a huzzah. This tournament is already a success for both.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Yeah the 3-4 game usually is played well but you notice the lack of competitiveness immediately.

Has there ever been another World Cup where two teams played their B sides in two different games vs each other?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Yeah the 3-4 game usually is played well but you notice the lack of competitiveness immediately.

Has there ever been another World Cup where two teams played their B sides in two different games vs each other?
Are they playing B sides today? I hope not.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I can see a lot of changes for both teams. Kane and Lukaku will go for the golden boot but these guys have played a lot and with the season just a few weeks away I wouldn’t count on full strength line ups myself.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I can see a lot of changes for both teams. Kane and Lukaku will go for the golden boot but these guys have played a lot and with the season just a few weeks away I wouldn’t count on full strength line ups myself.
Yeah, but it's just one more match. And their last for the season.
But I can see that some benchers will get some time just to give them a match.

Reactions: koyvoo

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I was pulling for the Belgians but given their absolutely digusting behaviour since they lost (Courtois, Meunier, Hazard), I'm 100% pulling for England.

Reactions: All Might

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
X6RaHZs.png

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
I was pulling for the Belgians but given their absolutely digusting behaviour since they lost (Courtois, Meunier, Hazard), I'm 100% pulling for England.

Welcome to the dark side.

Not surprised by the changes. The midfield + Young looked knackered in ET. Surprised Trippier made it after not finishing the game. 2-1 Belgium.

Reactions: Evilo

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has a section on things to do around town on the weekend. On Sunday you can go to one of three local pubs and see England play Croatia in the Final on a giant screen TV out in a closed off street. You have to laugh at people who can get that story wrong! I will root for the Three Lions.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Don't get the hate against the consolidation final. This is seen as an important game in my country, Norway. I know, there might be a different attitude in the great nations, but I am sure there are many people in the world watching this.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Don't get the hate against the consolidation final. This is seen as an important game in my country, Norway. I know, there might be a different attitude in the great nations, but I am sure there are many people in the world watching this.

Even in Belgium there's a meh feeling towards this game.

That said, Meunier!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->