Player Discussion Third Line Center Position

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
He did a job, and he did it well. The Oilers had an elite PK and he was used heavily for dzone faceoffs and in defensive situations. Certainly a little more offensive pop would be useful but his usage allowed the big guns more offensive opportunities, and that shouldn't be ignored. I'd be happy to have him back as Kharia nor Haas have the faceoff acumen to be sure fire replacements. In fact i'd bring all 3 back to battle for ice time and for adequate center and PK depth. It's about roles and having the appropriate players to fill them.

Yeah but if you have the chance to sign Haula at 3-3.5 I think you take that to the bank.

I’m not saying that Sheahan doesn’t do a good job at his role, but if you have the chance to upgrade that position why wouldn’t you?

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah but if you have the chance to sign Haula at 3-3.5 I think you take that to the bank.

I’m not saying that Sheahan doesn’t do a good job at his role, but if you have the chance to upgrade that position why wouldn’t you?

Sheahan isn't a 3rd line center though. Why not have both? My guess is Sheahan is going to regret not signing the deal he was offered already as I have a hard time seeing anything over 1 million being available to him.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
One guy I really like is Calle Jarnkrok, great skater, great defensively and on the PK. Has consistent hovered around that 30 pt mark, right shot and great on the draw, he’s versatile can play any fwd position up and down the lineup. Unfortunately he had an above average year by his standards and showed a little more and he’s got 3 years left on a very reasonable 2M AAV so I think Preds hold onto him while letting guys like Granlund and Smith walk.

I'd certainly try for Jankrok as he'd be the perfect fit, the Oilers could justify giving up a pretty decent asset to get him given his contract and ideal skills. The Preds have a lot of centers and want to shake things up so you never know. Bonino might also be a target, perhaps Russell+ would be a reasonable basis as the Preds could use a dman like Russell for the PK and to anchor the 3rd pair.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Sheahan isn't a 3rd line center though. Why not have both? My guess is Sheahan is going to regret not signing the deal he was offered already as I have a hard time seeing anything over 1 million being available to him.

Ok I get that. But we already have Haas and Kharia signed.

Seems like superfluous goods.

Even if we deal Kharia, I’d still much rather see Haas get regular playing time over Sheahan. I also have a problem paying our 13th forward over a million dollars...

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Ok I get that. But we already have Haas and Kharia signed.

Seems like superfluous goods.

Even if we deal Kharia, I’d still much rather see Haas get regular playing time over Sheahan.

I'd rather extra C's than wingers as Kharia can play the wing and I see no reason Haas couldn't. I also think you could justify waiving one and hoping they clear for extra depth. A lot easier to find a winger than a center to fill in if injuries necessitate it. I think a smart GM hordes centers and dmen. Competition and depth are good things in my books. Again though Sheahan's FO ability is a big factor as he's actually better than the numbers would suggest given his high amount of critical and PK draws taken. If you think Haas and Kharia's FO% are bad now it probably gets worse with PK draws added in. Even if they improve staying the same would likely provide them without any improvement in numbers as again PK draws are a real burden on the numbers.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
One guy I really like is Calle Jarnkrok, great skater, great defensively and on the PK. Has consistent hovered around that 30 pt mark, right shot and great on the draw, he’s versatile can play any fwd position up and down the lineup. Unfortunately he had an above average year by his standards and showed a little more and he’s got 3 years left on a very reasonable 2M AAV so I think Preds hold onto him while letting guys like Granlund and Smith walk.
When I was lurking on the Preds board it looked like they soured a bit on Jarnkrok, not as much as this board and Chiasson, but in mock line-ups it was pretty common to see him on the 4th line and in general seemed to be one of the players they were most comfrtable with moving (who wasn't outright deadweight like Turris).

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
When I was lurking on the Preds board it looked like they soured a bit on Jarnkrok, not as much as this board and Chiasson, but in mock line-ups it was pretty common to see him on the 4th line and in general seemed to be one of the players they were most comfrtable with moving (who wasn't outright deadweight like Turris).

Interesting. Drafted by Holland. Quite a bit of PK experience and PP experience. Decent (not great) faceoff numbers from a RHC (though he took a lot less draws this year for some reason). Played at a 40 point paced 2 of the last three years. 2 years on his contract at a good number. Smalish guy at 5'11" 185 lbs. Those all look like attributes we'd want in a 3rd/4th line centre.

I remember noticing him a lot in games against Nashville, but can't remember his foot speed. If it's a plus, I'd like to give him a try if the asking price is reasonable.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
It seems like our 3C plans should be dictated by other shoes that have yet to drop.

1. There are 2 bigtime UFA's in Pietro and Hall that if they want to come here at a reasonable price, you break other plans you might've had and do what you can to fit them, leaving us likely with a frugal choice for 3C, much like this past season. The odds of Pietro coming here are likely less than 1%, the odds for Hall I'd guess to be roughly a 20% chance.
2. Is Pulju coming back?
3. Are we interested in bringing AA back?
4. Are we interested in bringing both AA & Pulju back?

The answer to each of those questions changes how I look at the best possible 3C option in some way.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Nashville would be a good target, they are loaded with C depth.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Why would you re-sign Sheahan? He was an absolute nothing burger this year.

Haas is better than him.

I liked Sheahan with Archibald and xxx better than any other line we put together on the 3rd or 4th line...

Neither Haas nor Sheahan scored even a bit... do you feel Haas can defend or grind? I didn’t... to me he was the bigger meh nothing burger.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

To be clear, I want Haula at 3C and of Khaira, Haas or Sheehan at 4C, I prefer Sheahan... but if contracts don’t allow it I’m not heart broken. (I’ve forgotten Khaira and Haas status... are they both under contract for next year?)

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
To be clear, I want Haula at 3C and of Khaira, Haas or Sheehan at 4C, I prefer Sheahan... but if contracts don’t allow it I’m not heart broken. (I’ve forgotten Khaira and Haas status... are they both under contract for next year?)

Yes, Haas and Khaira are under contract for next year. Sheahan isn't.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
It seems like our 3C plans should be dictated by other shoes that have yet to drop.

1. There are 2 bigtime UFA's in Pietro and Hall that if they want to come here at a reasonable price, you break other plans you might've had and do what you can to fit them, leaving us likely with a frugal choice for 3C, much like this past season. The odds of Pietro coming here are likely less than 1%, the odds for Hall I'd guess to be roughly a 20% chance.
2. Is Pulju coming back?
3. Are we interested in bringing AA back?
4. Are we interested in bringing both AA & Pulju back?

The answer to each of those questions changes how I look at the best possible 3C option in some way.

I deal with Puljujarvi and AA well after I sort out 3C... they are far less important. I’d easily take AA’s cap and apply it to 3C

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
A right shot centre that is good enough to take defence zone starts would be nice. But I'm not sold that the bottom 6 forwards are what is keeping the team from taking another step. Starting to think this team is only as good as it's top 6 forwards, top 4 d, and starting goalie. Paying cap space and tradable assets for depth players is going to be difficult the next few years.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yes, Haas and Khaira are under contract for next year. Sheahan isn't.

meh... alright then. I can live with Khaira back at 4C... he’ll have rough patches but has had some success at C.

Haas?... better as a winger from what I’ve seen,... overall I was underwhelmed.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
meh... alright then. I can live with Khaira back at 4C... he’ll have rough patches but has had some success at C.

Haas?... better as a winger from what I’ve seen,... overall I was underwhelmed.

Yeah honestly I'm not too keen on having either Haas or Khaira on the team. I like the Archibald/Sheahan combo, but if not having Sheahan means that we can have a real 3C (not Haas or Khaira). Then I'm willing to accept it. Hopefully we get a decent 3C and Khaira is the 4C. Haas can fill in for injury.

Reactions: bucks_oil

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Spezza was a good 3C.
Size, grit, faceoffs and PKer

For Oilers, RNH can be the elite 3C if we could get enough top 6 wingers

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Spezza was a good 3C.
Size, grit, faceoffs and PKer

For Oilers, RNH can be the elite 3C if we could get enough top 6 wingers
We don't have the money to have enough top 6 wingers and pay Nuge 6+ to play on the third line

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We don't have the money to have enough top 6 wingers and pay Nuge 6+ to play on the third line
Well if we do the Larsson for Kapanen swap we would have Kap,Yama,Pulju,Kassian on the right side and AA,Neal,Chiasson,Archi,Benson on the left side.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well if we do the Larsson for Kapanen swap we would have Kap,Yama,Pulju,Kassian on the right side and AA,Neal,Chiasson,Archi,Benson on the left side.
That roster has 7 right shot forwards lol
And then when Nuge wants an extension we let him walk cause you can't afford to pay your 3c 6+ mill.

Nuge is a top 6 player. Leave him in the top 6. Much easier to find a real 3c so when one of those average at best wingers fail and we have to rotate Nuge to wing....again we aren't stuck with Haas as a 3c

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That roster has 7 right shot forwards lol
And then when Nuge wants an extension we let him walk cause you can't afford to pay your 3c 6+ mill.

Nuge is a top 6 player. Leave him in the top 6. Much easier to find a real 3c so when one of those average at best wingers fail and we have to rotate Nuge to wing....again we aren't stuck with Haas as a 3c
And?

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I liked Sheahan with Archibald and xxx better than any other line we put together on the 3rd or 4th line...

Neither Haas nor Sheahan scored even a bit... do you feel Haas can defend or grind? I didn’t... to me he was the bigger meh nothing burger.

Let me address both.

Haas has the far better advanced stats and I would say it stands up to the eye test. That being said he didn’t play much and I’d be more than willing to let him run with the 4C spot. Haas was, at least in my estimation, able to defend as well as Sheahan with a better offensive upside.

Haula is an ideal 3c for us and means Sheahan is gone for sure. Both Haas and Kharia are locked up for another year at 915k and 1.2 respectfully.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
I am not too familiar with Kahun's game. What makes him a good 3rd line center?
He is just sooo skilled, very speedy with good playmaking and a decent shot. His stickhandling is honestly easily 1st line potential. With 5'11 he is a little on the smaller side, but I love watching him play since many years and actually suggested trading for him or signing him since quite a few years. You sign him, if you want to inject skill to your lineup. He is not a heavy hitter or anything like that.

Those are his stats in the NHL so far:
138GP25G43A68P0.49 PPG14PIM+18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Despite putting up good numbers, I feel like he is still completely flying under the radar for no good reason. He was used as a C and W so far in his NHL career. Imo he could also be injected to the top two lines without a problem. And for playing a 3rd line C role, he is easily good enough and will give the Oilers much needed secondary scoring.

Some short videos to get an idea (sorry only found goals and no playmaking vids):

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad