Dreger: thinks the Leafs have called on Jack Johnson

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Look from my perspective you are backtracking. Your post said you don't understand why anyone would have a problem with what Leafs fans posted. Several posted that. You in fact said you agreed. If you think Johnson is a bottom pairing defenseman, especially on your team I don't know what to tell you.

In my opinion, there are only two defensemen in Toronto that could even get on the ice in Columbus, Nashville, Carolina, St. Louis or any other team with a good blue line. The rest would either be in the press box or in the AHL.

As I've posted multiple times, I can understand if the Leafs believe a 3rd line center is more important that upgrading their defense, just as I've posted Columbus should upgrade center ice and not take futures.

There is just no reason to insult players.

I was on board with you're posts until this. Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev. Only 2 of those would even make the lineup on all of those teams, plus others? Then in the next breath you say there is no reason to insult players. You sound pretty insulting to me.

Aside from the dirt you threw there, I agree with you. Toronto needs D help. JJ can still log big minutes, and anchor his own pairing. He is something we really do need.

The "3rd pairing in Toronto" business is being a bit misunderstood on both sides, in this thread. CBJ fans feel he is good enough to play higher on the roster, while Leafs fans don't think they should pay for someone they feel would be behind Rielly and Gardiner on the left. But you're both wrong, and it's a good thing.

Yes, JJ would probably be on the 3rd pairing. And that's great! Because the 3rd pairing has been a blender of poop and sadness all season. Most of the guys playing on this pairing are borderline NHL quality. Adding JJ means the team can put someone they trust on the ice.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Look from my perspective you are backtracking. Your post said you don't understand why anyone would have a problem with what Leafs fans posted. Several posted that. You in fact said you agreed. If you think Johnson is a bottom pairing defenseman, especially on your team I don't know what to tell you.

In my opinion, there are only two defensemen in Toronto that could even get on the ice in Columbus, Nashville, Carolina, St. Louis or any other team with a good blue line. The rest would either be in the press box or in the AHL.

As I've posted multiple times, I can understand if the Leafs believe a 3rd line center is more important that upgrading their defense, just as I've posted Columbus should upgrade center ice and not take futures.

There is just no reason to insult players.

You think i support every nutball on this site? My post asked if it was crazy for us to deal a playerv we have no replacement for....for a player we have an abundance of. Now, if you can find a post in which i have called JJ junk or said he sucks....then feel free to call me out. But all i have agreed with is that the idea makes no sense. You don't like me calling him a bottom pairing D? Your own fanbase does. You think he's bumping Rielly or Hainsey? He's not. You think he's bumping Gardiner or Zaitsev? He's not.....thus, he'd be on our bottom pairing, which is fine....it needs help. But we shouldn't be trading our 3C who we can't really replace for bottom pair help.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't think Johnson gets traded to play on another team's 3rd pairing. The whole reason he requested a trade was because he is on the CBJ's 3rd pairing but wants to play a larger role to improve contract negotiations.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You’ve been in that position for almost 10 years. You won’t make it past round 1. At least we’ll get a good young player to help our core.
the core that consists of mediocre forwards slow defenders and an overpayed goalie. great core. wonder when that player will actually help, before he is traded for a quebec player ofc

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
the core that consists of mediocre forwards slow defenders and an overpayed goalie. great core. wonder when that player will actually help, before he is traded for a quebec player ofc

Oh please. After this season you’ll have only 5 decent F in Kadri, Matthews, Marner, Nylander and an old Marleau.

Your Defense consist of a single piece: Rielley. Aside from him, the D is mediocre at best.

You also have an inconsistent 28 years old starter.

On top of that, you guys will be good enough to fight for a playoff spot but not good enough to contend. Also, you won’t suck enough to be able to draft good young players.

Welcome to where the Habs have been since forever. Middle of the pack team, not good enough to contend and not abd enough to draft high. At least you guys will see a couple of playoff games... Which is a win considering you’ve done the playoff only twice in over 9 years

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Oh please. After this season you’ll have only 5 decent F in Kadri, Matthews, Marner, Nylander and an old Marleau.

Your Defense consist of a single piece: Rielley. Aside from him, the D is mediocre at best.

On top of that, you guys will be good enough to fight for a playoff spot but not good enough to contend. Also, you won’t suck enough to be able to draft good young players.

Welcome to where the Habs have been since forever. Middle of the pack team, not good enough to contend and not abd enough to draft high. At least you guys will see a couple of playoff games... Which is a win considering you’ve done the playoff only twice in over 9 years
our team is built much better than your team. you guys rode a goalie into a division win and a 1st round playoff exit last season. we have a legit #1C, an actual offence, and a great goalie.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Well here's the thi.....hang on, just got a score alert about the NHL power rankings...lets see...the Leafs are 8th and the Habs 25th? What were you saying?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I mean you are ignoring Brown, Hyman and Kapenan, all top 9 forwards and all 25 or younger

I also like how you choose to ignore Gardiner and Zaitsev too

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

There is so much wrong with this, it is ridiculous.... But, Jack Johnson isn't a good fit for the Leafs. If he was a RHD, maybe. Even Gudbranson would be a better fit.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
our team is built much better than your team. you guys rode a goalie into a division win and a 1st round playoff exit last season. we have a legit #1C, an actual offence, and a great goalie.

And two Conference Finals in the past 7 years. You have legit #1, an offense that will loose two of their top 5 scorer after this year, a above average D and an average #1 G and nothing interesting in the pipeline aside from Lil. Don’t get your hopes too high

Well here's the thi.....hang on, just got a score alert about the NHL power rankings...lets see...the Leafs are 8th and the Habs 25th? What were you saying?

Habs are where they belong. That doesn’t make Toronto any better.

Even if that were true, and it's not at least in the case of Boston, what would that make your habs?

It makes it a mediocre team. That doesn’t make the Leafs any better

I mean you are ignoring Brown, Hyman and Kapenan, all top 9 forwards and all 25 or younger

I also like how you choose to ignore Gardiner and Zaitsev too

I give it to you, Hyman’s a top 9. Brown looks like he will be a top 9. Kapanen can barely be called an NHL player let alone be called a top 9.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
There is so much wrong with this, it is ridiculous.... But, Jack Johnson isn't a good fit for the Leafs. If he was a RHD, maybe. Even Gudbranson would be a better fit.

Wait until JVR and Bozak are gone. You won’t be able to replace what they brings to the table with guys like Kapanen and Brown. There’s level to this game and Kapanen and Brown are not and will never be on Bozak’s and JVR’s level.

We’ve seen it first hand in Montreal with the loss of Markov and Radulov. The loss of those will hirt the Leafs, a lot.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
And two Conference Finals in the past 7 years. You have legit #1, an offense that will loose two of their top 5 scorer after this year, a above average D and an average #1 G and nothing interesting in the pipeline aside from Lil. Don’t get your hopes too high

Habs are where they belong. That doesn’t make Toronto any better.

It makes it a mediocre team. That doesn’t make the Leafs any better

I give it to you, Hyman’s a top 9. Brown looks like he will be a top 9. Kapanen can barely be called an NHL player let alone be called a top 9.
Bolded #1 Umm...ya, it does.
Bolded #2 Ahhh....yup, yup it does.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Bolded #1 Umm...ya, it does.
Bolded #2 Ahhh....yup, yup it does.

I meant the Habs situation doesn’t make the Leafs a better team than they actually are. They’re still going for a quick first round exit. They have nothing to show vs Boston or Tampa

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
LHD...is there a need? no there isn't

Columbus needs up front help..... and what is JJ worth? JvR and a 2nd(cause no one named Marner or Nylander will be part of that deal),

and then what? the Leafs end up with an overload of Dmen at the NHL level.....so that's kind of useless and does nothing to take the Leafs a step closer...and yes "cap" matters

in conclusion, Dregs must be a little lonely and seeking relevance of some kind

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->