Thinking of doing a fantasy draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Burke

I'm back after a long break from HF, and am thinking of possibly doing a fantasy draft of all NHL players...

If anyone is interested, just give me a holler (or post in this thread)...

I worry that a lot of people go away during the summer holidays, but maybe if everyone picked an assistant GM to fill in for them if they went away? Also they could aid in personnel decisions and what not... Just a wild idea I came up with, seems it could just work...

If you worry that this will be another one of them botched fantasy drafts (as I see some of these drafts are - or at least look like), I give no guarantees that this will be different, but I will say that I do have previous experience running drafts. If you don't want this draft to fail, then YOU have to be committed to making it work. Being the commissioner, there is only so much I can do. You have to make your picks on time, etc. etc.

So is anyone interested or did I just waste valuable board space?

Here's the GMs:

BuppY - Atlanta, Toronto
Fleuryfan29 - Pittsburgh, Columbus
Barnaby3636 - Rangers, San Jose
PensFan95 - Edmonton, Minnesota
monster_bertuzzi - Philadelphia, Colorado
kovalchuk17atl - Tampa Bay, Montreal
Shoalzie - Detroit, Dallas
xtra - Florida, Calgary
LoudmouthHemskyfan#2 - Phoenix, Buffalo
TRS - Anaheim, Chicago
nomorekids - Nashville, Carolina
wolfen - Boston, St. Louis
Malakian#13 - Los Angeles, New Jersey
Brad Coccimiglio - Washington, Islanders
Danrik - Vancouver, Ottawa (Assistant GM: Peter Griffin)

We can't add any more GMs, but if anyone is interested, they can be an assistant GM to one of our GMs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon Burke

Thanks for joining, guys. And thanks in advance to those who are going to join. Without you, this thing doesn't work, so thanks for signing up! Don't forget to appoint your assistant GMs and what not...

Just one thing - would people please take two teams? I prefer to keep it that way.

To get a bit more into the rules, people will pick back-to-back (so, as I have Vancouver and Ottawa, I will pick for them at the same time). The draft order will obviously be random then...

Trades are allowed, and you must exchange an equal number of picks (so if Ottawa trades their first and third round picks to Vancouver, then Vancouver would send their second and fourth round picks to Ottawa - get the idea?).

There will be 23 rounds, enough to stock your team. I'm thinking of implementing a salary cap, would that go over well? What would be a good number for a cap?

Each person will have 12 hrs to make their two picks. If you don't make your pick in time three times, then your assistant GM will be the new boss of your team (do be sure to recruit an assistant GM and let me know who it is). May sound harsh, but I have to do my best to keep things moving... Obviously if you have a good excuse, you'll be pardoned, but otherwise, tough luck.

Should we make this draft worth something? I.E. Compile the stats (goals, points) and figure out who would be the best team? Do some polls? that sort of a thing? Or should it be "just for fun"...

If you haven't figured it out, my philosophy is very much that your imput is both welcomed and valued. I figure, since you are going to invest a lot of time in this, you should get your say, right? Another thing to establish is that this draft is not #1 in my life. I will be busy at times and perhaps not able to update things, but I'll do my best. If you have any beefs, either PM me or post in here.

That's about all the rules I can think of at this point, if I think of any more, I'll just post 'em...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon Burke

Two things:

What should the cap be?

and...

Don't forget to name your assistant GMs...

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Danrik said:
Two things:

What should the cap be?

and...

Don't forget to name your assistant GMs...

No Cap.... as no one is paying out money and all the teams have a fair chance to "sign" big name players just make it the best roster.

Dam i am gonna need an assitant gm...

Jon Burke

xtra said:
No Cap.... as no one is paying out money and all the teams have a fair chance to "sign" big name players just make it the best roster.

Dam i am gonna need an assitant gm...

Wrong thread, bro. I don't think too many players will be signed in a fantasy draft... :joker:

Jon Burke

I came up with a couple ideas for a cap.

I thought a $50 million salary cap was reasonable (and seemed ok by everyone in bandwagon's draft). My concern with this is that the average salary in the NHL is $1.8 million, meaning a twenty three man roster at that salary doesn't leave much space for adding bigger salaries. You don't want to inhibit the quality of people's teams with a cap, yet you still want the challenge of a cap.

One idea is that we restrict the amount of "superstar" salaries you can take on - i.e. you can't take on more than five $6 million + salaries. But then people can duck under that and take a lot of still hefty salaries that they couldn't before.

Maybe I could combine these or something. Any responce is welcome, as is any input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad