Things we know: 1/8 of the way

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
This to me is astounding -- although White, Ericsson and CC have been hurt
Quincey - 6 games, ZERO points.
Smith - 6 games - 1 point

Just goes to show what I said about Quincey was true. Product of the PP.

Not to nit-pick, but most "high-scoring" d-men, get their points or roughly half or more on the PP.

If you get to be on the #1 PP unit, you can get alot of points just because.

Were his stats padded by the PP on his previous teams... most likely, All D-men are.

And for those saying we need a #1 D man... just forget it for now, we can't afford to trade the pieces to get one, we already tried UFA to sign one, and now our best chance is SMITH turns into one (unlikely). So wait for the next UFA, saying Holland should have solved this... he did, he got quincey. Sure he has played crappy, but the idea was he was a #3 guy who could play 20 min a night.

Ask for more, and realize you probably could not have gotten it

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
One more thing I know: The Kings look like dog ****. They look like the same dog **** they were during last years regular season except Quick isn't bailing them out every game.

So true. Didn't Detroit absolutely annihilate the Kings last year? Like, wasn't there a game where Detroit scored 8 or 9 goals against LA? It's crazy how far they went after how much they struggled in the regular season. Maybe they'll turn things around and hit that 8-seed and repeat all over again whatever Cinderella magic they had last year!

Also, how in the world is Markov so good when he's healthy? It's crazy to me how players can get hurt so often and then come back and play really strong every single time. Markov played a collective 65 games the past three seasons combined, but he's coming back like he never even got hurt in the first place! How is this possible? Shouldn't he be so beaten up at this point that he looks like Danny Cleary?!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well the main reason to bring up Nyquist is to add some scoring punch to our bottom 6.

This is really a problem for us so far. Our top 2 lines are the only lines creating and finishing scoring chances.

Even though the guy doesn't play much, I have actually liked what I have seen from Emmerton so far. I've seen several occasion where he battles and brings the puck to the front of the net and creates a chance for himself.

Alpha190

Feb 3, 2007
Also, how in the world is Markov so good when he's healthy? It's crazy to me how players can get hurt so often and then come back and play really strong every single time. Markov played a collective 65 games the past three seasons combined, but he's coming back like he never even got hurt in the first place! How is this possible? Shouldn't he be so beaten up at this point that he looks like Danny Cleary?!

Markov has been probably the best pure offensive defenseman for the past 4-5 years even thought he has been injured. I have no comments on his defensive game. When he was UFA 2 seasons ago I think I really wanted the Wings to sign him no matter the cost just incase Lidstrom retired.

I say this because of one of the stats I saw, plus I follow the Habs abit. It was Montreal's PP before and after Markov came back from an injury 2-3 years ago. The Canadians PP% were below 20%. When he came back it jumped up to 44% for a 16 games span.

That's significant.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
This is really a problem for us so far. Our top 2 lines are the only lines creating and finishing scoring chances.

Even though the guy doesn't play much, I have actually liked what I have seen from Emmerton so far. I've seen several occasion where he battles and brings the puck to the front of the net and creates a chance for himself.

I have no complaints about Emmerton so far this season. It's clear that he has some talent in him. It may never be executed, but it's obvious that he has some skills. He has a decent shot, and he battles. I don't really know much else to say about him, he's just a developing player who may never be anything more than a depth player, but he has the talent to potentially be more than a depth player, I think.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
6. Kronner is the only d-man who has generated more than 1 point to date. This is why I was arguing we really do need a legit offensive defenseman who can put up 50+ points per season. Our bottom 6 forwards have generated pretty much 0 offense. If our bottom 6 continues to suck at generating offense I'd like to see Nyquist given a shot. Of course it will never happen but I thought I'd mention it as the old mantra is let them get 20+ mins a night in the AHL rather than 10 mins a night in the NHL. Well the NHL team needs some scoring depth and the old guys ain't getting it done. Something like:

Well that's easy to pick out the guys you want Byfuglien and Karlsson. Other than that 50pt+/season dmen don't exist.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Maybe I'm an idiot, or drunk, or both...

But does anyone else think bringing up Spoul to the Wings at the end of the season seem like a good idea?

To be honest, I don't think the Wings are going to make the playoffs.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

But does anyone else think bringing up Spoul to the Wings at the end of the season seem like a good idea?

The Wings would need 16 injuries and 4 deaths to their defensemen before that thought would cross Holland's mind, unfortunately.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I think Filppula's skating opens up the space for Datsyuk to work with. I think those 2 had great chemistry before. I would not change the 1st 2 lines, for now.
Our Dmen have new roles and I think it is way too eary to judge them.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

I may be wrong here but I believe to be called up to the NHL you have to be on the CHL call-up list submitted earlier in the year.

Sproul isn't on it, so I don't believe he is eligible to be called up at all this year.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I may be wrong here but I believe to be called up to the NHL you have to be on the CHL call-up list submitted earlier in the year.

Sproul isn't on it, so I don't believe he is eligible to be called up at all this year.

I thought he could be called up once his junior season ends? I figured that SSM won't go far in the playoffs, and he'd be able to get at least a couple games before the NHL season ends.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Well that's easy to pick out the guys you want Byfuglien and Karlsson. Other than that 50pt+/season dmen don't exist.

Sure they do.

Lubomir Visnovsky has put up 60+ points several seasons.
Mike Green has put up a couple 70 points seasons.
Duncan Keith is just below 50 points but did have a 69 point season.
Alex Pietrangelo has one and should be a 50 pt d-man going forward.
Shea Weber is just about a 50 pt d-man.
Sergei Gonchar has a bunch of 50-60 pt seasons under his belt.
Kris Letang has one and should be a 50 pt guy for the foreseeable future.
Dan Boyle is a consistent 50 point guy.

And there are quite a few more.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Sure they do.

Lubomir Visnovsky has put up 60+ points several seasons. Not anymore
Mike Green has put up a couple 70 points seasons. Not anymore
Duncan Keith is just below 50 points but did have a 69 point season. He's a 40pt dman with a couple 50+seasons
Alex Pietrangelo has one and should be a 50 pt d-man going forward. Possible
Shea Weber is just about a 50 pt d-man. But not
Sergei Gonchar has a bunch of 50-60 pt seasons under his belt. Going into history again
Kris Letang has one and should be a 50 pt guy for the foreseeable future. Could be, maybe
Dan Boyle is a consistent 50 point guy. Could still be. probably the best chance of all because he can only do this for so much longer

And there are quite a few more.

More often than not you are thinking of a 40pt dman who occasionally has a 50pt season. 50 pts is A LOT of points for a dman. Its like going to the prospect board and everyone's D prospect is going to be a 60 pt player. No they're not! You did pull one or two young guys who might become a consistent 50 point man. Last year there were 5 out of 297 dmen who scored 50+. Campbell only did it once before, Chara 3/12 seasons. A couple of those young guys might score 50 pts now but most young dmen tend to develop defensively being better overall players who score a little less than they do early in their careers.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
the things we know are:

the wings have the most easy schedule in the central. less b-b games then our rivals for the division title. we never play chicago or the blues after a gameday.

.......b-b games / playing the day before our match
blues 15 / 1
chicago 16 / 2
detroit 13
nashville 11 / 2
columbus 16 / 1

detroit is playing only 3 games at all vs central division with b-b games. its columbus and nashville. this should put us 6 points over chicago and blues for free. that should help for making the playoffs.
so far to bettman wanna screw the wings.

6 games played.

regular games 60 minutes without opponent playing the night before (i skip the skill gimmick) :
1-2-1

games with opponent playing the night before:
1-0-1

detroit had 33% of the games a tired leg opponent so far.

actually u cant measure any thing due to the schedule. but it looks like the wings will make the playoffs.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
More often than not you are thinking of a 40pt dman who occasionally has a 50pt season. 50 pts is A LOT of points for a dman. Its like going to the prospect board and everyone's D prospect is going to be a 60 pt player. No they're not! You did pull one or two young guys who might become a consistent 50 point man. Last year there were 5 out of 297 dmen who scored 50+. Campbell only did it once before, Chara 3/12 seasons. A couple of those young guys might score 50 pts now but most young dmen tend to develop defensively being better overall players who score a little less than they do early in their careers.

They're all guys who are capable of a 50 point season because they've had them in the past. Next you'll tell me none will get 50 points this season because it's only a 48 game season.

Yay pedantry! :yo:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
one of the best things we have learnt so far this year is as some of us correctly called it when he was signed, Jordan Tootoo would easily become a fan favourite and his jersey would be one of the most popular.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
They're all guys who are capable of a 50 point season because they've had them in the past. Next you'll tell me none will get 50 points this season because it's only a 48 game season.

Yay pedantry! :yo:

I will go back to ignoring your exaggerations as usual then. All I did was point out that part of you `re solution to fix this team is to get a one of 3 players in the whole league and you come back saying that there are lots of them. I explain that there are not and you falme. I guess when you are wrong that`s what you do. GOOD JOB!:laugh:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I will go back to ignoring your exaggerations as usual then. All I did was point out that part of you `re solution to fix this team is to get a one of 3 players in the whole league and you come back saying that there are lots of them. I explain that there are not and you falme. I guess when you are wrong that`s what you do. GOOD JOB!:laugh:

You're being pedantic. That's fine. I have no more to say on the topic.

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
So true. Didn't Detroit absolutely annihilate the Kings last year? Like, wasn't there a game where Detroit scored 8 or 9 goals against LA? It's crazy how far they went after how much they struggled in the regular season. Maybe they'll turn things around and hit that 8-seed and repeat all over again whatever Cinderella magic they had last year!

Training regimen, perhaps? And Markov worked out a lot in the off-season, and actually played meaningful KHL games prior to a short NHL season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->