Things to do in Turku

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Me being a cheapskate and also rather spending time in a city instead of an airport.. I will be going homeward from the summer cottage by train and ferry...

Meaning that after 10 hours of train I will be stuck in Turku for at least 8 hours before the ferry leaves.

What is there to do in Turku the 2nd of August? Places to see, food to eat?

Only thing I've really seen is a store with nature snacks and Subways xD

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Hansa Kortteli near Kauppatori is where you will at least find a Subway and other restaurant types. Or if you're really bore, Pacific Rim is released in here August 2nd, you'd easily have time to see it at Kinopalatsi, they have 7 euro matinees during the summer.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The OP already answers his own question, in a sense. The best thing to do in Turku is trying to get away from there as quickly as possible. :P

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Have a brew you've never had before at Mallaskukko or Cosmic Comic Cafe, check out Bob's Vintage at Rauhankatu for vintage clothes (only vintage shop for men only in Finland), visit the watergun exhibition at Seikkis in Kupittaa and have a picnic at the Kupittaa park while you're at it. If you can rent a bike, take a look around Ruissalo, or just be a proper tourist and check out WAM, Aboa Vetus or walk around campus.. a lot of things to do.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
The OP already answers his own question, in a sense. The best thing to do in Turku is trying to get away from there as quickly as possible. :P

dude, Turku is awesome. Place has a lot more history than Helsinki

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
dude, Turku is awesome. Place has a lot more history than Helsinki
You know, Turku IS pretty awesome. But for some odd reason, it's also the butt monkey for pretty much the rest of Finland. You just HAVE to joke on the city's expense, even if you had nothing against it.

In fact, something tells me it's actually a sign of affection.

Now... we shall not speak of this statement, ever again.

KHLJokers*

exit from Turku soon as possible!!!! Rest of the Finland is fine.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
As we say in Finland, it's not the city itself but the people living there (turkulaiset).

I agree. Before I though't it just must be stupid joking and the rep shouldn't have anything real behind it.. Sadly, I were wrong. Been there once when we were "Kids" (18). In the morning / early day, we tried to kindly (and sober, and not suspicious looking) ask people walking by for help. "Im sorry but could you tell us where should the railway station be" (didin't have smartphones those days).

Tried to ask two or three, people just kept walking by, like they were afraid to talk or too cocky to talk, im not sure. Maybe us people from Savo are just too open for those Turkulaiset. Anyway, after that, I have agreed on Savonian band's "Kaytan housuja" song "Turkulaiset on mulkkuja". We chose random direction to go, and actually found a pretty young girl, and she helped us.

So, the old generation there are probably *******s compared to rest of the Finland like their reputation is, but the town was actually pretty nice and also girls nice looking and kind like in anywhere in Finland. The odler people will also talk to you, if they happen to be shopkeepers and you buy something from them :sarcasm:

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Definetely have a beer or two at one of the Jokilaiva's. Beer's expensive yes, but it's a nice experience that you don't get on other towns. Also, when someone said that if you're interested in beers, go to The Old Bank, it's a nice beer resteurant. Or better, to Koulu, it's a resteurant with their own brews.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Is the Hesburger as bad in Turku as it's everywhere else?

Yes. A friend of mine worked there (The 24 h one next to the bus station) for a year when she was at Turku university (before moving to Helsinki university) and she'd say she would never eat any of their food again. Nothing wrong with the milkshakes though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00