Post-Game Talk (GBU): "They want a coaching change?"

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Good thing we scratched Mittelstadt against a team we would spend some time in the offensive zone when playing. Gotta get him ready to be hemmed in with Nelson and Scandella backing him up.
I was thinking the same thing. Lol
Mittelstadt would have had some opportunities to gain confidence against the Devils.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The way the defense gives up both blue lines and the neutral zone is a huge problem. They give teams break-out way too much respect. But if the forwards aren't fore-checking or winning one-on-one battles in the ozone, what else are you going to do?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The way the defense gives up both blue lines and the neutral zone is a huge problem. They give teams break-out way too much respect. But if the forwards aren't fore-checking or winning one-on-one battles in the ozone, what else are you going to do?

Teach them to win those battles more consistently, change tactics...show some idea that you can adapt.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Teach them to win those battles more consistently, change tactics...show some idea that you can adapt.

It took him what? 73 2/3 games to get to break Sam off from Jack to drive a second line. Might only be two or three more years until he figures out simplified breakouts or effective forechecking

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I shut the game off after the 3rd goal from NJ, which was maybe halfway though the 3rd. I'm generally interested in people's opinion of Eichel's play lately. He just doesn't seem to find the space we've seen him find earlier in the season 5 on 5. Players converge on him in the offensive zone, and he buckles under the pressure and makes bad decision, makes a bad pass, chips it to the opposition.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I shut the game off after the 3rd goal from NJ, which was maybe halfway though the 3rd. I'm generally interested in people's opinion of Eichel's play lately. He just doesn't seem to find the space we've seen him find earlier in the season 5 on 5. Players converge on him in the offensive zone, and he buckles under the pressure and makes bad decision, makes a bad pass, chips it to the opposition.
He's been pretty bad for a while. Can't argue with you there. I've been disappointed with both he and Skinner of late.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Predictable. I'm finding him predictable. He's lost any sort of confidence in his teammates. He wasn't really attacking teams on a consistent basis when he was on. Because he hasn't been producing, it's now more noticeable. He has a lot to learn in this league. This is why it's important to get the right coach in here. The wins and losses will come, they are not that important to me at the end of the day. What matters is these guys learning the habits to be successful. Being taught how to attack the offensive zone, being taught how to read what the other team is trying to do and learn to improvise.

What irritates me, is not the Sabres losing a lot (I had low expectations for the year, which I was criticized for having), it's that there is NOT an improvement from the roster. It's not that Housley is failing with results, it's that he's not showing any ability to adapt and be "creative" with the lines to get a spark. Botterill's general comments about seeing progress, baffled me because, sure there might've been a couple players that have shown improvement, the roster as a whole has not, and the areas I wanted to see progress in as a team, namely in their quickness on puck movement and attacking open areas of the ice, have been nonexistent.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The funny:

The Sabres official Facebook page posted the results of the game with a caption of 'Welp'. Seems like even they gave up on the season.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
The funny:

The Sabres official Facebook page posted the results of the game with a caption of 'Welp'. Seems like even they gave up on the season.
I noticed that too and showed my wife this morning...we both had a good chuckle at it. No reason to even pay that much attention to results anymore, there's seven games left and it's greatly in our interest to lose every one of them.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
He's been pretty bad for a while. Can't argue with you there. I've been disappointed with both he and Skinner of late.
No complaints on Skinner - he’s so far from the problem right now, even mired in a goal drought.

That he has the motivation to be a leader and still fight and pester during this time period has won him a ton of points in my book

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
No complaints on Skinner - he’s so far from the problem right now, even mired in a goal drought.

That he has the motivation to be a leader and still fight and pester during this time period has won him a ton of points in my book
I still think he's playing at less than 100%. He looks less explosive than he did earlier in the year.

That said, when Jack isn't going full bore, the team is basically cooked.

Abraham de Lacy

Do not agree with the assessment of Phil Housely in this thread. And I know way to little to comment on Botterill.

But here are my impressions from the other side of the Atlantic.

Good: Phil Housely is playing with his new toys in a structured way. The first two months were bewildering as the line-up changed quite a bit. He quickly tried Dahlin with all the other D men and found out that Dahlin made everyone around him better. Just like Jach Eichel does.

It is obvious (to me at least) that the future D core is Dahlin, Montour, Pilut, and Risto/Bogo + extras. Housley needs to discipline Risto a bit I think, I like his attitude though. The offensive force is Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart and .. not surprisingly .. Dahlin & Risto !! (they get a ton of PP)

Bad: Not enough depth up front. Not Housleys nor Botterills fault though. Thompson toe-drags too much (needs to mature) .. Mittlestadt seems destined to be a sideboard warrior (which he does well btw I think). Beyond the first line there are .. crickets ..

There are no alternate universes where this team makes the playoffs without or with Housley. Not possible. This team is still in re-build mode. Expectations are too high. It is deeply unfair to blame Botterill/Housley for not over-performing with as unbalanced a team as this. You play the cards as you get them.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Do not agree with the assessment of Phil Housely in this thread. And I know way to little to comment on Botterill.

Good: Phil Housely is playing with his new toys in a structured way. The first two months were bewildering as the line-up changed quite a bit. He quickly tried Dahlin with all the other D men and found out that Dahlin made everyone around him better. Just like Jach Eichel does.

It is obvious (to me at least) that the future D core is Dahlin, Montour, Pilut, and Risto/Bogo + extras. Housley needs to discipline Risto a bit I think, I like his attitude though. The offensive force is Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart and .. not surprisingly .. Dahlin & Risto !! (they get a ton of PP)

Bad: Not enough depth up front. Not Housleys nor Botterills fault though. Thompson toe-drags too much (needs to mature) .. Mittlestadt seems destined to be a sideboard warrior (which he does well btw I think). Beyond the first line there are .. crickets ..

There are no alternate universes where this team makes the playoffs without or with Housley. Not possible. This team is still in re-build mode. Expectations are too high. It is deeply unfair to blame Botterill/Housley for not over-performing with as unbalanced a team as this. You play the cards as you get them.

giphy.gif

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future

Hey, you. You get out of here with your positivity and innovative/alternative insights. There is no room on this board for any of that nonsense, you.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver

PHIIIILLL????
HEY! PHILLLL??!!!
I THOUGHT THAT WAS YOU!!!

541462-GD.jpg

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

The alternate universe where we don't make the ROR trade, acquire a couple reasonable depth players, and play our best available 18 every night gives us a damn good chance at making the playoffs.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Phil Housely is playing with his new toys in a structured way. The first two months were bewildering as the line-up changed quite a bit. He quickly tried Dahlin with all the other D men and found out that Dahlin made everyone around him better. Just like Jach Eichel does.

How is this statement in the "Good" Category? All this says, is he's doing something.

Good: It is obvious (to me at least) that the future D core is Dahlin, Montour, Pilut, and Risto/Bogo + extras. Housley needs to discipline Risto a bit I think, I like his attitude though. The offensive force is Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart and .. not surprisingly .. Dahlin & Risto !! (they get a ton of PP)

Who's attitude do you like? Housley's or Risto's? I am curious what Bott's opinion is on Risto and Bogo. I think Bogo would fit as a #6 defenseman in a Botterill type of defense because of his skating speed and would be a decent role player. Risto, I think is the one Dman on the team that I could see not fitting Bott's future. He has powerful skating, but doesn't have the speed. His skating will fall of a cliff sooner that people realize.

Tough to say Skinner is part of the offensive force long term, when he's signed until the end of the year. But I could agree with that much if re-signed.

There are no alternate universes where this team makes the playoffs without or with Housley. Not possible. This team is still in re-build mode. Expectations are too high. It is deeply unfair to blame Botterill/Housley for not over-performing with as unbalanced a team as this. You play the cards as you get them

How is not having enough depth up front not Housley's nor Botterill's fault in their second season (mainly Botterill in this instance)? I'm of the belief that this team's roster, and lack depth players is done by design, but I fully put that responsibility on Botterill and nobody else. On May 11, 2017 the depth players on the roster were not his fault. After that day, everything with the Buffalo Sabres is his responsibility. We're coming up to 2 years later, if there are still poor depth players on this team, it is his fault. Botterill took away a top 6 player and replaced it with a rookie that wasn't close to being ready along with bringing in two very bad DEPTH players. Botterill, took what was a young, hard nosed player playing too high in the lineup, and brought in a defenseman that was a 2nd pairing guy (liked the trade because of the quality of Scandella at the time) and brought in a DEPTH player in Pominville that was used on the 1st line at times, but was useless otherwise.

Outside of the Buffalo Sabres being at the bottom of the league, there are no hints this team is still in rebuild mode. Even if we were, having an adequate coach is priceless when a lot of those pieces are still learning. Housley has not shown at any point to be able to adapt to changes, either through the season, or through a game. There is a reason why we are one of the worst teams in the league in the 2nd period, which impacts the 3rd period. It's because Housley can't make quality decisions in terms of anticipating the other team changing their ways.

I think the majority of fans on these boards can understand that this year was going to be lucky to make the playoffs but expected them to at least compete for the spots until the end of the year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The alternate universe where we don't make the ROR trade, acquire a couple reasonable depth players, and play our best available 18 every night gives us a damn good chance at making the playoffs.

They passed up Carpenter on waivers.

We already have Girgs and Larsson

Sobotka and Pominfail? Elie? Wilson? Plenty of other more deserving clients to weed out.

Reactions: dasaybz

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island

Jack's still playing the slot is lava instead of hawkey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad