They should play "I Am A Real American" when the U.S. steps on the ice tomorrow night

RoseTintedVisor

Frans Nielsen?!?!?
Feb 25, 2009
bklyn

Kenny-Powers-Gives-Us-The-Best-Pitchers-Entrance-Ever.jpg

I had no idea this show was THAT awesome.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Now to derail......

Shouldn't they play it when Canada comes on with 4 of their players being born in the US?

kids of canadian-born hockey players in the US dont count. They are not americans by choice.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Yes, we're clearly holding them hostage. :sarcasm:

:shakehead

given the choice, most of those families would rather have stayed in canada, but they had to go to the US for their job. Most of these kids identify as canadians and recognize that their parents were only in the usa to work, not to live. There are some outliers, like brett hull, but the vast majority identify themselves as Canadians.

BruceOp

Dec 8, 2004
That would rile up the Canadians so much that they would play "American Idiot" by Green Day in Alberta next year!

:sarcasm:

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Now to derail......

Shouldn't they play it when Canada comes on with 4 of their players being born in the US?

Who's american on Team Canada? I didn't know that.

EDIT: Ah nm

SabFanInOtt

Mar 19, 2006
Canada's Capital
I doubt most Canadians would be familiar with the song. I never heard of it and I live on the boarder.

Any male that is now about 35 to 45 years old is pretty well versed with the song. Heck, I even bought the album...still remember Jesse the Body with his feather boa as part of the cover pic.

Now I'm gonna take some vitamins and say my prayers...

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
given the choice, most of those families would rather have stayed in canada, but they had to go to the US for their job. Most of these kids identify as canadians and recognize that their parents were only in the usa to work, not to live. There are some outliers, like brett hull, but the vast majority identify themselves as Canadians.

Do you realize how many Canadian hockey players and their families live in the Buffalo area?

http://archives.buffalorising.com/story/an_unusual_number_of_nhl_playe

Last edited:

Cheli

Jul 6, 2008
Toronto/Waterloo
"I feel sorry for the earth's population 'cuz so few live in the USA."

You're assuming the crowd is going to pay attention to the lyrics. Doesn't the crowd at Joe Louis constantly rock out to a song involving someone who hops on a train going anywhere away from Detroit?

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Yes, we're clearly holding them hostage. :sarcasm:

:shakehead

I don't know why you use :shakehead

So they were born in the states when their fathers played hockey, they still consider themselves Canadian.

At least Hockey Canada hasn't gone chasing American born kids of Canadian fathers to play for Canada like USA hockey has done so they can play for the states. (and a few kids of European players)

Do you need a list of those players?

By the way, your captain was born in Canada.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475829

Last edited:

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Then why do players such as Zach Parise, Nick Foligno, Eric Nystrom, Cam Fowler, Colin Wilson, etc. come up through the U.S. system their entire lives and consider themselves as American? Which ones represent this "vast majority" you make reference to?

This is just blind nationalism. Obviously these players are their own individuals and consider themselves whatever they want. It's not always a career choice, a la Jason Pominville. No one single person on this planet can control where they're born or raised, but once they are they have whatever allegiance they feel they should have. We've seen it go both ways.

Brothers Nick and Mark Foligno are a perfect example that it's not always unanimous. Their father is Canadian, both born in the U.S., one considers himself American the other Canadian. Then you have Cam Fowler, Patrick Eaves, Patrick O'Sullivan, Sean Couturier, etc. who were born in one country but mostly raised in the other and consider themselves a citizen of the country they were raised in. Sometimes you get a Colin Wilson or Tyler Myers who spend the first half of their lives in one country then move to the other and consider themselves a bit of both, but play for the country of their choice.

Bottom line... get over it, it's a non-factor and you look immature trying to say what these people... because that's what they are, people... should consider themselves. It's their choice and obviously they disagree with you, wholeheartedly.

Last edited:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Then why do players such as Zach Parise, Nick Foligno, Eric Nystrom, Cam Fowler, Colin Wilson, etc. come up through the U.S. system their entire lives and consider themselves as American? Which ones represent this "vast majority" you make reference to?

This is just blind nationalism. Obviously these players are their own individuals and consider themselves whatever they want. It's not always a career choice, a la Jason Pominville. No one single person on this planet can control where they're born or raised, but once they are they have whatever allegiance they feel they should have. We've seen it go both ways.

Brothers Nick and Mark Foligno are a perfect example that it's not always unanimous. Their father is Canadian, both born in the U.S., one considers himself American the other Canadian. Then you have Cam Fowlers, Patrick Eaves, Patrick O'Sullivan, Sean Couturier, etc. who were born in one country but mostly raised in the other and consider themselves a citizen of the country they were raised in. Sometimes you get a Colin Wilson or Tyler Myers who spend the first half of their lives in one country then move to the other and consider themselves a bit of both, but play for the country of their choice.

Bottom line... get over it, it's a non-factor and you look immature trying to say what these people... because that's what they are, people... should consider themselves. It's their choice and obviously they disagree with you, wholeheartedly.

Not that it matters but I know that 5 of those players were relentlessly chased and promised starting positions on the NTDP. I remember a USA hockey official say that going after American born kids of Canadian players who have dual citizenship made sense for USA hockey. And, I agree with them. I would do the same thing.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I think we can all agree it's going to be a pro Canadian crowd tomorrow night!

It does not have to be a "pro Canadian crowd"... there are 3,500 seats STILL available so...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad