Status
Not open for further replies.

Rails

Mar 30, 2003
LBurg and FBurg, VA
Visit site
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=130343&hubName=nhl

At the bottom of the advertisement

- The entry-level system will limit those players to $850,000 a year in salary (which it was 10 years ago) with bonuses not as easily reachable as the previous deal. The maximum possible amount in bonuses is $4.5 million although it's unrealistic for almost anyone to reach all the lofty targets. The age for draft eligibility will also be raised from 18 years to 19 years.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So what then, Crosby, Johnson, Brule, etc. will not be elligible for this year's draft?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
PecaFan said:
Then we don't need the lottery. It makes zero sense to do this *next* season, it should be now.
I agree. Just ditch this year's draft altogether.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
If this is true i'm assuming it will start "after" this years draft or Crosby will be in the Swiss league for sure.

Personly i'm agains't it, maybe because i live in Alberta where a 18 year old is considered an adult (legal drinking age) and should have the right to support his habits. come to think of it,maybe the NHL should only allow players to be drafted by the legal drinking age in each region,are there any states where an 18 old can drink legally? after all,their all piss tanks! :D

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
PecaFan said:
Then we don't need the lottery. It makes zero sense to do this *next* season, it should be now.

I agree as well, but I take it this isnt until the 2006 draft? Can anyone confirm that it isnt until next year?

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Then what happens after next year? Wouldnt all the players turning 19 be drafted already?

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
NYRangers said:
Then what happens after next year? Wouldnt all the players turning 19 be drafted already?

Yup, most would. Next years draft would end up being the dregs of this year, the ones who got passed over.

The only time it makes sense to raise the age is when you've missed a year. AKA now.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
WOW, this blows. Really it does. Great..Rangers will be a crappy team next season and they will get a top 4 pick for the worst players. :shakehead, They should just cancel NEXT years draft because it will be a COMPLETE JOKE.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
It is likely that the age change will adopted in implements.

For example, by the usual standard, next year's (2006) draft would be Sept. 16/87 to Sept. 15/88. As a result of the planned change, it is more likely to be something like Sept. 16/87 to May 01/88 instead (so Kessel would be fine- by any criteria, in fact).
Then, in 2007 it would be May 01/88 to Dec. 31/88. Then, the 19 yr. old draft would become a reality.

I'm not saying that the May 01 date is the one that has been set- just using it as an example.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
steblick said:
It is likely that the age change will adopted in implements.

For example, by the usual standard, next year's (2006) draft would be Sept. 16/87 to Sept. 15/88. As a result of the planned change, it is more likely to be something like Sept. 16/87 to May 01/88 instead (so Kessel would be fine- by any criteria, in fact).
Then, in 2007 it would be May 01/88 to Dec. 31/88. Then, the 19 yr. old draft would become a reality.

I'm not saying that the May 01 date is the one that has been set- just using it as an example.

That is pure speculation, and I dont see that happening (though i hope ur right)

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
FLYLine4LIFE said:
That is pure speculation, and I dont see that happening (though i hope ur right)
I think that makes a lot more sense than just arbitrarily changing the age one year and having a pointless draft IMO. I still see no reason for the NHL to screw with the draft age anyway, but I guess teams can't resist rushing their players.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The last time the raising of the draft age came up in various reports it was speculated that they would do it incrementally over a few years to avoid a "leftover" draft so to speak. Yes, ideally they would have done it this year but Crosby has been hyped for 3-4 years now and if they delayed it a year the PR mess would be ugly. It would be like going through a full marketing campaign for a movie and then releasing it the next. The let down could undermine the previous efforts to build excitement.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Bob was on this afternoon saying that a player has to be 18 by January 1st of the draft year. Phil Kessel will be 18 by January 1st, 2006. Phil Kessel will, therefore, be eligible for the 2006 entry draft.

Although, maybe Bob was wrong or mis-spoke. ;)

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Just to clarify:

People are getting very confused by this because most players will be playing in the league no earlier than 19 years of age (which also reflects favourably upon the 7 years experience clause). However, players such as Kessel that were born later in the year (say October) could play in the NHL as an 18 year old - having been drafted a few months earlier in June. The thing to remember is that these types of guys wouldn't have had a different draft year under the old CBA.

Two examples.

Sidney Crosby (Aug. 7, 1987)
-Old CBA: Eligible in 2005 (18 as of Sept 15th, 2005)
-New CBA: Eligible in 2006 (18 as of January 1st, 2006)

Phil Kessel
-Old CBA: Eligible in 2006 (not 18 as of Sept 15th, 2005)
-New CBA: Eligible in 2006 (18 as of January 1st, 2006)

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Actually it's not pure speculation- not only has this idea been floating around for awhile at the exec levels but I have heard it stated with some authority (although the intermittent date nor number of incremental years were clear).

But neither is it a 100% certainty.

If it were a direct jump, only the Sept. 16-Dec. 31/1987 players would be available for 2006.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Or next year's draft could be a draft where the teams stock on overagers who went undrafted their first time through, or who were drafted and never signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad