Palmeri - 20 goals
Bonino - 15 goals
Cogs - 15 goals
Perrault - 15 goals
Etem - 20 goals
Koivu - 10 goals
Winnik - 10 goals
Penner - 15 goals

Defense + extra forwards like ... 35 goals?
Maroon
Holland
Fowler
Beachemin
Sbisa
Souray
Vatanen
Lindholm
Allen
Lovejoy

Thats 250 goals. Thats an average of 3+ per game.

We only have 41 goals in 13 games. And the team is 10-3.

So more goals need to be scored, or people need to accept that there only X goals to be distributed amongst this lineup, and some players are destined for light point years.

I know that better offense can = better scoring, but this isnt a 3-10 east coast team with no depth, putting their 19 year old 1st overall pick on the ice for 25 minutes a game to soak up massive point production. If this team has the lead, and it often does, it plays conservatively.

I just wanted to say this because someone is going to complain when perry doesnt score 50, or Silf only scores 10 or Penner puts up 10....

Unless this team scores early and tries to pile on the points going all out every game... this team can finish 1st in the west and STILL some guys just aint goina put up great offensive years.

Oh. And for the goal totals on top... i know etem is at 20... because if he doesnt score 20, lets say he scores 12 or 15, people are going to cry how its not top 6 production... 20 makes him immune to criticism. Same with like penner. If he scores 11, fingers will point at him.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Which is exactly why ____ should be on the first line and get all PP time, because his goal total is the only one that matters.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Lets say we want the following...
Getz - 25goals
Perry - 35 goals
Selanne - 15 goals
Silferberg - 20 goals
Palmeri - 20 goals
Bonino - 15 goals
Cogs - 15 goals
Perrault - 15 goals
Etem - 20 goals
Koivu - 10 goals
Winnik - 10 goals
Penner - 15 goals

Defense + extra forwards like ... 35 goals?
Maroon
Holland
Fowler
Beachemin
Sbisa
Souray
Vatanen
Lindholm
Allen
Lovejoy

Thats 250 goals. Thats an average of 3+ per game.

We only have 41 goals in 13 games. And the team is 10-3.

So more goals need to be scored, or people need to accept that there only X goals to be distributed amongst this lineup, and some players are destined for light point years.

I know that better offense can = better scoring, but this isnt a 3-10 east coast team with no depth, putting their 19 year old 1st overall pick on the ice for 25 minutes a game to soak up massive point production. If this team has the lead, and it often does, it plays conservatively.

I just wanted to say this because someone is going to complain when perry doesnt score 50, or Silf only scores 10 or Penner puts up 10....

Unless this team scores early and tries to pile on the points going all out every game... this team can finish 1st in the west and STILL some guys just aint goina put up great offensive years.

Oh. And for the goal totals on top... i know etem is at 20... because if he doesnt score 20, lets say he scores 12 or 15, people are going to cry how its not top 6 production... 20 makes him immune to criticism. Same with like penner. If he scores 11, fingers will point at him.

I want to focus on this bolded part. 41 goals in 13 games comes out to 3.15 goals per game. Averaged out over 82 games makes 258...

What are you talking about? This team is scoring, a lot. We're getting numbers spread out throughout the lineup, again. And that's without a single goal coming from a d-man which will change. Also our goals against is at 2.54 right now and that projects to 208 goals allowed. So we're on pace to be +50 in goal differential. Teams with that kind of differential finish in the top 3 of the league.

I really don't know what you're trying to point out. This team is doing just fine scoring goals and spreading it around. This is the oddest theory proposed in a while.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
There are serious flaws in this argument that I will try to address when I get home from school

Fallenity

Apr 12, 2011
I understand what you're saying, but don't understand why? You saying we should prepare for disappoint when all of our players won't have career years?

Isn't that kind of obvious?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I really don't know what you're trying to point out. This team is doing just fine scoring goals and spreading it around. This is the oddest theory proposed in a while.

Why did you post this

Theridion listed it here.

The expectation of producing more in spite of a 10 - 3 record while playing as a M.A.S.H. unit just is not good enough for certain people because they have a certain criteria to deem what is successful. Meaning, scoring more > wins. I say to that, "the name on the front is more important that the name on the back."

So what's lost is that the team is playing better defense despite a rotating lineup everywhere as well as still winning with an inept Power Play production along with good play with our defense. For most of us, if we score more than the other team, then we say, "Yay for points!" and don't grumble why we didn't score more here or there. In fact, some of us will say, "damn... we stole two points." knowing how lucky we are.

Don't worry. It took me a second time to read it for it to sink in.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Getz - 25goals 31
Perry - 35 goals 39
Selanne - 15 goals 17
Silferberg - 20 goals 24
Palmeri - 20 goals 22
Bonino - 15 goals 25
Cogs - 15 goals 12
Perrault - 15 goals 27
Etem - 20 goals 16
Koivu - 10 goals 13
Winnik - 10 goals 6
Penner - 15 goals 25
Maroon 16

These are how many goals these players are projecting as of right now (assuming everyone plays every game and injured players play remainder of games when they come back). Some will trail off and some will undoubtedly increase their rate. But the way they are scoring right now half of our forwards are headed for career years. Personally I think Perry will flirt with 50 again. Plus the D will start scoring sooner or later.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
The expectation of producing more in spite of a 10 - 3 record while playing as a M.A.S.H. unit just is not good enough for certain people because they have a certain criteria to deem what is successful. Meaning, scoring more > wins. I say to that, "the name on the front is more important that the name on the back."

So what's lost is that the team is playing better defense despite a rotating lineup everywhere as well as still winning with an inept Power Play production along with good play with our defense. For most of us, if we score more than the other team, then we say, "Yay for points!" and don't grumble why we didn't score more here or there. In fact, some of us will say, "damn... we stole two points." knowing how lucky we are.

Don't worry. It took me a second time to read it for it to sink in.

But we don't need to score more. It's ridiculous to think we aren't scoring enough based on what I posted previously.

UnknownAvenger

Apr 10, 2012
We are already scoring above 3 goals per game as said above; so I don't see the explanation matching results thus far.

Not to mention, injuries + the horrible powerkill (which one wouldn't expect to continue forever) and this team can easily finish the year with 270 goals.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I'm a bit confused. I took Theridion's post as saying precisely that we are doing more than fine scoring-wise, and that some people just have to adjust their ideas of what individual totals are realistic in a team that's spreading scoring out like we do.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I'm a bit confused. I took Theridion's post as saying precisely that we are doing more than fine scoring-wise, and that some people just have to adjust their ideas of what individual totals are realistic in a team that's spreading scoring out like we do.

Apparently not.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I agree with the OP. Even if we keep close to these paces players aren't going to hit their ideal numbers because of the depth we have pushing their ice time down. I don't see how anyone thinks it's not a logical point.

c4rcy

Power lvls over 9000
Jun 15, 2009
OC, California
I'm not sure I follow the argument.

We are scoring but not scoring enough to be a contender? If everyone hits their expected totals, it will undoubtedly be considered a success to the development of our very young core group of players and as mentioned half of that forward group will have had career years with those totals.

I don't think many teams score at a 3 GPG pace throughout the year, maybe 1 or 2 of the 30 teams will hit it, but that's a little far fetched goal.

What really needs to be the target is better team defense and special teams. We can put the puck in the net, it's pretty evident based on our current goal scoring rate. We need to focus on better defensive zone coverage (see Matt Read goal from yesterday), less turnovers in critical areas (offensive blue line, anywhere above the hash marks in the D zone). The PK has been on an upswing recently, but still is bottom 10 in the league, coinciding with our inexplicable "power kill".

By taking care of some of the things in our own zone, we will inherently get more chances due to more possession time and offensive zone time. The Ducks showed it yesterday in the third period, so we all know they are capable of that. But it needs to start from the 1st period onward.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I agree with the OP. Even if we keep close to these paces players aren't going to hit their ideal numbers because of the depth we have pushing their ice time down. I don't see how anyone thinks it's not a logical point.

If we keep to this pace the players absolutely WILL hit the numbers he fears they won't. If he made the argument that this is the pace we're on and that's no realistic, that's one thing. But he clearly states we need to score more. That's what's so confusing about his statement.

Oct 18, 2011
usually getzlaf and perry are slow starters, given the fact they've had strong starts 90+ point seasons for them are very possible...silf is not going to score 20 since he's out for a month+, Etem at best I think scores about 15(if he gets decent PP mins) Winnik is more of a 5-8 goal guy, and Penner probably wont play enough mins on the top line to hit 15.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If we keep to this pace the players absolutely WILL hit the numbers he fears they won't. If he made the argument that this is the pace we're on and that's no realistic, that's one thing. But he clearly states we need to score more. That's what's so confusing about his statement.

I think you've missed the whole point of the thread entirely. The OP is not stating that we need to score more but that if every player was to meet expectations then our goal totals would have to increase unrealistic amounts as there are only so many goals to go around.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I think you've missed the whole point of the thread entirely. The OP is not stating that we need to score more but that if every player was to meet expectations then our goal totals would have to increase unrealistic amounts as there are only so many goals to go around.

I understand the point just fine. The point is wrong. The expectations might be unrealistic but the rate in which they're scoring would get them to those numbers as I have evidenced. If they keep scoring at the pace they are, right now, they'll reach those numbers he projected.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

It's worth mentioning that scoring 250+ goals would/should put Anaheim in the top 5 of offensive teams. Those are pretty big numbers.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I understand the point just fine. The point is wrong. The expectations might be unrealistic but the rate in which they're scoring would get them to those numbers as I have evidenced. If they keep scoring at the pace they are, right now, they'll reach those numbers he projected.

That's without factoring in defensive contributions and call ups from the AHL though. And it assumes that the Ducks keep scoring at this rate which is a pretty bold assumption.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad