Thesis: If team Canada is the best there is, then let us welcome replacement players!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
Just some food for thought, after seeing Canada vs Latvia. This is not my personal opinion, just a thesis to stir some conversation!

Thesis: If team Canada is the best there is, then please let us welcome replacement players, as they can't be much worse than this overpaid, out of shape bunch!

Share your thoughts!

Macman

May 15, 2004
kremlin said:
Just some food for thought, after seeing Canada vs Latvia. This is not my personal opinion, just a thesis to stir some conversation!

Thesis: If team Canada is the best there is, then please let us welcome replacement players, as they can't be much worse than this overpaid, out of shape bunch!

Share your thoughts!

Go back to school. You need a new thesis.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
I'm positive...we will see some great hockey from this national team...I thought there were some strong moments today...a couple of great hits...Nash was very watchable...replacements will be much less exciting

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
I think all of the games today the super teams did not play at the top of their game while some of the weaker teams did, I hope this is not the level of play we will see thorughout the tournament except from denmark, austria, latvia, and belarus who I think all played well

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
The intensity will jump a notch vs USA...and into the next round things will heat up...to a NHL playoff type level. The crowds are very "into" the games...and games will be great (We all know this)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Canada's still in the feeling out process ( tons of players who haven't seen ice in a while )... Replacement players are absolutely laughable. They'll be waay less talented and interesting to watch than the AHL or Juniors... so, there's no point. If they were able to throw out a 2nd-tier NHL, that might be closer to working, but why would anyone want to pay more to watch worse hockey?

They might as well throw NHL jerseys on the minor-league teams and call it the NHL if replacements are the only alternative... You'd at LEAST get a look at some up and coming talent..

Captain Leaf

I think the top 100 players in the NHL are without a doubt the best in the world ..but after that the remaining players are interchangable with players in other leagues in North American and around the globe .
I think when the dust settles a lot of the "average" NHLers making 1.8 to 3 mill are gonna be replaced by Jim Smith from the Iron league willing to play for 400,000.00 .

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Captain Leaf said:
I think the top 100 players in the NHL are without a doubt the best in the world ..but after that the remaining players are interchangable with players in other leagues in North American and around the globe .

Oh My God, finally somebody who shares exactly my opinion!!! :handclap: ;)

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
Captain Leaf said:

What a load! Only the top 100 players are the best in the world? It's a 30 team league, so that only gives you 3 players per team for 20 teams, then 4 on 10 teams who are so lucky. So just looking at the worst of the worst, like say the Atlanta Thrashers, you've got Heatley, Kovalchuk maybe Marc Savard. So guys like Kozlov, McEachern and so forth, who have been extremely solid NHLers for 10+ years and in some cases all stars, could be interchanged with Joe Schmoe for Saskatchewan? You are really not giving the NHL enough credit. If you said the bottom 10 or 20% you might be on to something.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
salzy said:
What a load! Only the top 100 players are the best in the world? It's a 30 team league, so that only gives you 3 players per team for 20 teams, then 4 on 10 teams who are so lucky. So just looking at the worst of the worst, like say the Atlanta Thrashers, you've got Heatley, Kovalchuk maybe Marc Savard. So guys like Kozlov, McEachern and so forth, who have been extremely solid NHLers for 10+ years and in some cases all stars, could be interchanged with Joe Schmoe for Saskatchewan? You are really not giving the NHL enough credit. If you said the bottom 10 or 20% you might be on to something.

hehe and I can't see anyone on the redwings roster who is not one of the best in the world

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
wassup77 said:
hehe and I can't see anyone on the redwings roster who is not one of the best in the world
You don't watch a whole lot of hockey then, do you?

the all knowing

Apr 28, 2005
The canadian team in the current World Championship thingy isn't even close to being the best team Can could ice .
Yet they are favs to win it all .
Go figure?

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
First, the so-called weak nations are getting much more competitive every year. It's clearly not just Canada who struggles against them. The days of easy double-digit wins against such tams are over.

Secondly, almost every year at the WCs (and other tournaments) Canada plays a mediocre game or two before they get going. It's not like they blew out the Latvia etcs of the world in the first games when they won the Olymics and recent WCs.

Oil_slick9416*

why was my post in this thread deleted? it was the 3rd one ...i'm puzzled. it was hardly offensive

PDO

Jan 12, 2005
Edmonton
steblick said:
First, the so-called weak nations are getting much more competitive every year. It's clearly not just Canada who struggles against them. The days of easy double-digit wins against such tams are over.

Secondly, almost every year at the WCs (and other tournaments) Canada plays a mediocre game or two before they get going. It's not like they blew out the Latvia etcs of the world in the first games when they won the Olymics and recent WCs.

So uh.. you don't think the score would've been a bit more different if say...

Lemieux, Sakic, Iginila, Bertuzzi, Pronger, Blake, Foote and Brewer were playing and that they'd all been playing hockey for the past year? :shakehead

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
the all knowing said:
The canadian team in the current World Championship thingy isn't even close to being the best team Can could ice .
Yet they are favs to win it all .
Go figure?

Exactly.

I mean, I like Morrison and all...........but when he's your 2nd line center and the team is still considered top 3 in the tournament.....

"Go figure?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad