These avaliable collage players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Since the Kings love to draft collage kids and them not having a second rounder, does anyone have some insight on these players?
Mike Lundin-D-University of Maine
Brian Ihnacak-C-Brown
Jacob Dowell-C-Wisconsin
Kyle Wilson-C-Colgate
Scott Parse-F-Neb Omaha
Oliver Bouchard-LW-Union Collage
Jonathon Sigalet-D-Bowling Green
Any thoughts on these players and their style of game would be greatly appreciated, thanks

ttnorm

Feb 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
I see a lot of ECAC games and I believe that Ihnacak is a good bit ahead of the other 2 ECAC guys (Wilson & Bouchard) as the CSS would suggest. Very good offensive skills on a team with little creativity, the one thing I thought was missing when I saw him was his shot. That needs to come a long way to play in the NHL but everything else suggest possible 2nd line material.

Kyle Wilson was a revelation to me this year, I did not even remember anything about him from the 0203 season. This year he looked very quick and had a nice shot. I still don't think his upside is better than a 3-4th line energy guy. And that might be optimistic. Not a big hitter but a steady checker. Perhaps a decent sleeper pick late in the draft.

Olivier Bouchard has the makings of a good NCAA player but so far I don't see him being AHL potential.

There is a kid coming from Bouchard's prep school (Upper Canada College) to Yale this year, Jean-Francois Boucher, who looks like he is farther along than Bouchard and has a decent chance to get drafted even though he is unrated by CSS.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
KING ELVI said:
Since the Kings love to draft collage kids and them not having a second rounder, does anyone have some insight on these players?
Mike Lundin-D-University of Maine
Brian Ihnacak-C-Brown
Jacob Dowell-C-Wisconsin
Kyle Wilson-C-Colgate
Scott Parse-F-Neb Omaha
Oliver Bouchard-LW-Union Collage
Jonathon Sigalet-D-Bowling Green
Any thoughts on these players and their style of game would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Take out Sigalet, he opted out.

Lundin seems like a decent mid round pick. Not that big for a defensemen, but has a good base of skills and was solid in both ends of the rink in the 2 games I saw. (on a side note his brother is headed to maine next year I believe)

Ihnacak I only saw once and it was early in the season. Seems like a smart player good hands, works hard. Seems like another solid mid round pick.

Dowell I've seen a few times, but didn't really notice him all that much. Played well but nothing great. His teamate and fellow '04 prospect Robbie Earl stuck out a little more with some flashy plays, plus he's a local LA boy which might be of interest. He's on the small side, as Dowell looks much thicker.

Wilson I never saw but he's got some decent size and went from 6 pts in his freshman year to 31 this year, one heck of a jump in only 4 more games.

Parse never saw either, led his team in scoring though.

Bouchard never saw as well but I was hoping the Habs would take a shot on him he's a local kid and has good size. Seems to have had a good freshman year.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Thanks for your replys, it's hard to watch any of these guys play here on the west coast. Unless we have some sort of hockey package it is really difficult to see them in action to get any real good look at the skill level these kids have. LA loves the collage ranks, so I was floating out a look-see to get info on a few. Thanks again for your help :handclap:

uw15

Apr 10, 2002
Visit site
Got to see Dowell play over 20 times this year. He has the potential to be a strong checking centerman. As a Freshman he was the guy that took the biggest faceoffs all season. Also was a good penality killer, those are some of the biggest reasons he made the WJC team last year over some more skilled players. Also has been mentioned as a strong team leader during his US team days.

Someone mentioned Robbie Earl who did grow up in Los Angelos. The kid can flat out fly. He has amazing talents which really showed up more in the 2nd half of the season, including a Hat Trick vs top ranked North Dakota with a highlight reel goal.

Check out his third goal after a drop pass by Dowell.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/audio_visual/mhky/archives.aspx?date=2/6/2004 7:05:00 PM

Also has a good shot, but at times carries the puck way too much. Also his defense is not very strong at this time. It would seem he has more potential to be a top 2 line guy if he adds some strength. I look for some very impressive offensive numbers from him for the upcoming year.

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
Having watched Wilson for two years I must say he really improved between his Freshman and Sophomore seasons. Jack of all trades but master of none. Solid skater, but not overly fast. Soid hitter, but not the biggest guy on the ice. Solid offensive skills, but really does not have a sniper's touch (more of a pass first, secondary goal scorer). Needs to build up stamina though. He routinely wore down towards the ends of shifts, games, and the season. He will start off with a bang and then slowly fade away. If he gains some more consistency could be a 3rd/4th line player in the NHL

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
MichaelK said:
Having watched Wilson for two years I must say he really improved between his Freshman and Sophomore seasons. Jack of all trades but master of none. Solid skater, but not overly fast. Soid hitter, but not the biggest guy on the ice. Solid offensive skills, but really does not have a sniper's touch (more of a pass first, secondary goal scorer). Needs to build up stamina though. He routinely wore down towards the ends of shifts, games, and the season. He will start off with a bang and then slowly fade away. If he gains some more consistency could be a 3rd/4th line player in the NHL

What's your opinion of John Smyth? Did he and Wilson play on the same line at all?

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
Smyth did play a lot with Wilson. From a prospect standpoint it is hard to accurately predict Smyth's future because he was a good 2 years older than Wilson despite also being a Sophomore (Smyth was born in 1982, Wilson in 1984...coincidentally he was the youngest player on the team his first two years). Smyth is definitely more of a sniper than Wilson and although he likes to get dirty, he is not as good all around as Wilson. Even though Smyth was the more prolific scorer last year, I really do not think he has the same upside as Kyle Wilson

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
MichaelK said:
Smyth did play a lot with Wilson. From a prospect standpoint it is hard to accurately predict Smyth's future because he was a good 2 years older than Wilson despite also being a Sophomore (Smyth was born in 1982, Wilson in 1984...coincidentally he was the youngest player on the team his first two years). Smyth is definitely more of a sniper than Wilson and although he likes to get dirty, he is not as good all around as Wilson. Even though Smyth was the more prolific scorer last year, I really do not think he has the same upside as Kyle Wilson

Thanks, Colgate should have a good team again next year from the sound of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->