THESE are price cuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MightyMite

Feb 4, 2005
North of North
dolfanar said:
12$ for a beer? I hope that's a keg!

Which brings up the important question which arena has the most expensive beer?

I mean those are some serious hockey revenues. I hope the NHL doesn't emulate movie theaters, slash the prices for tickets, but raise the price of concessions to ridiculous levels. Then two years down the road, raise ticket prices... :shakehead

SOS

Jan 27, 2004
Vancouver BC
Now if only we can get the scalpers in Vancouver to reduce ticket prices for Canucks games!

When's the last time any casual fan in Vancouver has been able to simply call Ticketmaster and buy 2 Canucks tickets at face value?

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Avs dropped ticket prices by 20% for season ticket holders who left their deposit through the lockout. That drops to a 10% decrease for season ticket holders who requested a refund of their deposit...and for those who purchase season tickets this year. Decreases for individual game tickets were not announced at the press conference but it sounded like there would be some...or at least some special deals long the way.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
wazee said:
The Avs dropped ticket prices by 20% for season ticket holders who left their deposit through the lockout. That drops to a 10% decrease for season ticket holders who requested a refund of their deposit...and for those who purchase season tickets this year. Decreases for individual game tickets were not announced at the press conference but it sounded like there would be some...or at least some special deals long the way.
That 20% is a bit misleading. They basically recieved a one-time 10% "bonus," which they were promised when leaving their money with the Avs. All season ticket holders received a 10% reduction, so those who left the money effectively are seeing a 20% difference this year from 03-04, but that extra 10% is not going to remain... it's just a one-time bonus, in essence. So the real reduction is 10%, and this will be the basis for next year's prices (and any price increases). The Avs sure are tossing that "20%" number around in the media, though, to reap as much public goodwill as possible.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
The Flames never cut prices, but they didnt raise them either after going to the Finals. Though honestly, given how low our prices are and how high demand is, it wasnt going to happen.

Though, I also get ridiculously cheap Hitmen season tickets as a Flames season ticket holder, so really, 81 games for $900 is a hell of a deal.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
That 20% is a bit misleading. They basically recieved a one-time 10% "bonus," which they were promised when leaving their money with the Avs. All season ticket holders received a 10% reduction, so those who left the money effectively are seeing a 20% difference this year from 03-04, but that extra 10% is not going to remain... it's just a one-time bonus, in essence. So the real reduction is 10%, and this will be the basis for next year's prices (and any price increases). The Avs sure are tossing that "20%" number around in the media, though, to reap as much public goodwill as possible.
I guess I assumed the ticket prices were for this year only. Ticket prices are announced annually. I certainly did not get the impression from the Avs announcement that the season ticket holders who left their deposit during the lockout would get a 20% discount on their tickets until the end of time. I don't see anything misleading about it. You sound disgruntled. Why?

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
wazee said:
I guess I assumed the ticket prices were for this year only. Ticket prices are announced annually. I certainly did not get the impression from the Avs announcement that the season ticket holders who left their deposit during the lockout would get a 20% discount on their tickets until the end of time. I don't see anything misleading about it. You sound disgruntled. Why?
Not disgruntled, but this has made it into nearly every media report around the area as a "20% price cut for season ticket holders"... often without any further detail. That implies a new established baseline price that is 20% lower than what it was. It's more the way they declared the 20% part up front and allowed the media to run with that as the true "cut" in prices. The cut was 10%, across the board. Season ticket holders who left their money before were already promised, at the time, a 10% bonus for doing so... that bonus is simply being deducted as promised now from this invoice. But all you basically heard and continue to hear is "20% cut in prices for season ticket holders." Hey, they're smart, I'll give them that. They knew how this would be interpreted by the casual observer of the headline/sound bite-dominated media.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
For the Leafs to fill the ACC. You are correct. They also sell a few thousand tickets in every building they visit. You're welcome ingrates of the NHL.

Oh well, maybe they'll fold the Raptors and the Blue Jays instead of having the Lakers and Yankees fill a few thousand seats in their buildings too, those lousy ingrates.

Deleted member 3032

ColoradoHockeyFan said:
Not disgruntled, but this has made it into nearly every media report around the area as a "20% price cut for season ticket holders"... often without any further detail. That implies a new established baseline price that is 20% lower than what it was. It's more the way they declared the 20% part up front and allowed the media to run with that as the true "cut" in prices. The cut was 10%, across the board. Season ticket holders who left their money before were already promised, at the time, a 10% bonus for doing so... that bonus is simply being deducted as promised now from this invoice. But all you basically heard and continue to hear is "20% cut in prices for season ticket holders." Hey, they're smart, I'll give them that. They knew how this would be interpreted by the casual observer of the headline/sound bite-dominated media.

When I heard the price change tier I assumed the 20% was a one year thing for those who left their deposit, and the 10% was the actual change. That could've just been me, though. :)

Drrocket9

Sep 29, 2004
Shark Tank

i like to sit up in the bleeders.......03-04 they cost $18. this year if you buy season tickets they will be $15 per seat, if you buy a 10 game plan, then the tickets are $16 each. game date tickets will cost $17.

im not too impressed. i expected more. they should have saved the money they spent placing full page ads in our local newspapers apologizing for the lockout, and used that money to reduce prices even more.

i might buy a pair of seasons.......seems worth it. though i will repeat im not too impressed with the tiny decrease in pricing.

i want a $12 ticket like the first season at the Cow Palace!!!!

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
JBum said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131410

- Ottawa is freezing season-ticket prices for two years and offering a five per cent rebate on 2005-06 season tickets. Season ticket-holders will get a free player-autographed Senators jersey and more than 13,000 additional free tickets will be shared among them. The price of 1,550 lower bowl season has been cut by as much as 33 per cent.

- Buffalo is reducing the price of season tickets, between 12 and 28 per cent in the two lower levels of the arena, and varying price according to the opponent. "To me, the most telling thing is you can be in a centre-ice lower-level seat for $49 (for a season ticket)," Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn was quoted in the Buffalo News. "That seat would cost upwards of $200 in Toronto or New York."

- In Phoenix, the Coyotes have cut prices on nearly 15,000 seats ranging from 11 to 25 per cent. The average reduction is 12.8 per cent. The move means more than 5,000 season tickets are available for $15 or less a game.

- In Boston, the Bruins plan to cut prices and make players more accessible to fans. "Our fans constantly tell us they want more access to the player personnel," owner Jeremy Jacobs told the Boston Globe. "Be it before games, after games . . . somehow we've got to provide that brush with John Q. Public."

- In Los Angeles, the Kings reduced the price of season-ticket packages by five per cent although individual game ticket prices will remain unchanged. They are also expanding the Dave Taylor Die-Hard Section, which consists of $10 US season tickets, from 500 to 1,000 seats and offering fans a free pre-season game Sept. 17 versus Anaheim at the Staples Centre. On the ice, the Kings re-signed veteran forward Luc Robitaille.

- In Chicago, all Blackhawks full season-ticket holders will receive a 10 per cent discount on their tickets while an additional 2,672 seats have been priced at $10. With the new price structure, the Blackhawks now have more seats available at $15 or less than any other NHL team.

These make our 3% lower bowls cuts look pretty paltry. Also offering 200 $10 tickets per game while Chicago & others are offering thousands, is pretty lame. I know, I know if you don't like the prices, don't go!
Wonder what that will do to league wide revenue?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Chileiceman said:
What is the deal with the teachers?

The Leafs are owned mainly by the teacher's pension fund. So obviously, it's all about making money. And I don't blame them, because it's their pensions at stake...but it's just a bad situation, and all the poor students like myself wish they would get a real owner

That's why I'm happy Ottawa is cheap, so I can go to 2 or 3 Leafs-Sens games a year (and boo Alfredsson :D )

Last edited:

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
kingsfan said:
Oh well, maybe they'll fold the Raptors and the Blue Jays instead of having the Lakers and Yankees fill a few thousand seats in their buildings too, those lousy ingrates.

I know what you're trying to say, but contrary to popular belief, the Raptors actually draw quite well, and the Jays do decent. They probably suffer a from the bad stigma about Canadian fan support (other than in hockey) that the Grizzlies and Expo's created.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
StanJohns said:
i like to sit up in the bleeders.......03-04 they cost $18. this year if you buy season tickets they will be $15 per seat, if you buy a 10 game plan, then the tickets are $16 each. game date tickets will cost $17.

im not too impressed. i expected more. they should have saved the money they spent placing full page ads in our local newspapers apologizing for the lockout, and used that money to reduce prices even more.

i might buy a pair of seasons.......seems worth it. though i will repeat im not too impressed with the tiny decrease in pricing.

i want a $12 ticket like the first season at the Cow Palace!!!!

You really can't complain too much about the cheap seats in San Jose. With the price cuts, the season ticket price for the cheap seats ($15) is only a buck more than the price when the arena opened 13 years ago. On top of that, they're damn good seats for the price - or at least they were before they put up the damn netting.

Oh, Feb at the Palace of Fine Cows, right after the Grand National Rodeo, what fine memories.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
arrbez said:
I know what you're trying to say, but contrary to popular belief, the Raptors actually draw quite well, and the Jays do decent. They probably suffer a from the bad stigma about Canadian fan support (other than in hockey) that the Grizzlies and Expo's created.

Jays have drawn well this year, I agree. Amazing what a wining atmosphere (or a .500 atmosphere anyways :D) will do for a club. But traditionally over the last 5-6 years, they haven't.

As for the Raptors, well I'm not sure if we are watching the same ones. i can recall a few very low attendance games in recent years. Though that may have as much to do with the on court product as anything.

Regardless of their attendance, they aren't exactly a powerhouse in the ticket selling department compared with other teams in those leagues. Just the same as Florida doesn't hold a candle to the Leafs in the NHL, the Jays and Raps don;t hold a candle to the Lakers/Yankees either.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The Bruins also are offering free tickets for children under 12 with each ticket that an adult buys for all games before Thanksgiving.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
ceber said:
The Wild slashed season ticket prices by over 2%. This new NHL is crazy!

the hell they did

a barbecue and the first game free doesn't quite do it for someone who's forkin out 5 g's for a team who hasn't played in a year

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
MightyMite said:
Which brings up the important question which arena has the most expensive beer?

I mean those are some serious hockey revenues. I hope the NHL doesn't emulate movie theaters, slash the prices for tickets, but raise the price of concessions to ridiculous levels. Then two years down the road, raise ticket prices... :shakehead

$10 Is the price at Staples..... now you know why were always upset.

Artie

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal, Que
Visit site
HockeyCritter said:
Wonder what that will do to league wide revenue?

You bring up a good point.

I'd be curious to know what is defined as "league wide revenue" in the NEW CBA. The NHL is driven mainly by revenue from ticket sales (i believe). How is this for a scenario...slash ticket prices so league wide revenues go down, the lower ticket prices will help fill the empty buildings more. Now the teams that control the concession revenues raise the price of food and drinks and these $$$ are not applied to league wide revenue, in fact league wide revenue decreases and next year the salary cap which is now linked....is LOWERED.

Silvercup Returns

King Karlsson
Jul 28, 2005
Ottawa
Also, in Ottawa, we're offering 500 $15 seats, after tax. $10 less than before. Giving out free full season tickets in the 100-level on opening night as well. Previous season ticket holders also get more of a discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad