News Article: Therrien Q & A with Dave Stubbs

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Since when "blue collar" = hard working??

...always?

FWIW, just typed in "blue collar" and google completed "team" and from an item on the first page,

"We always hear about Steelers being hard working blue colar [sic] team, where we hear the Cowboys being white collar team. How does the Patriots fit in? Personally, I see a mix of white collar players such as Brady, with blue collar players such as Welker."

I guess you guys mean that it means a grinder's game? I suppose they are related. I doubt that MT wants to play à la Cunneyworth.

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The reaction to what Therrien is saying reminds of the reaction people had to what Cunneyworth was saying when he was first hired. I remain skeptical as it is Therrien after all.

PricePkPatch*

I certainly will give Therrien his chance. He isn't the same coach he was 14 years ago, and he certainly is nothing like JM or RC.

I don't mind him trying to get through to PK. I want PK to be enthusiast, and yet manage to draw this team together. If Subban is to be part of our long-term core, he'll have to strike the proper balance between his enthusiasm and exuberance.

Unless you break his character (which I hope will never happen), PK will create ripples in any locker room he goes through. He should find a way to make these ripples a positive rather than an annoyance.

Ishmael

Aug 17, 2005
Nova Scotia
I hope I'm not missing the joke, but "blue-collar" implies a team that physically will be working hard and focusing on making sure the essential things get done; not afraid to get their hands dirty. It's typically associated with trades people and others who do more physical work, and comes from the colour of durable demin clothes that those types of workers often wear.

"White-collar" is the opposite and refers to office workers, who spend more time using their brain rather than their body. In hockey-speak, think highly skilled player who is amazing to watch in open ice but doesn't like to go into corners for the puck.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Media here will never break down a coach system and the coach will always repeat clichés. So that he says he wants his team to work hard, cool. But I hope he also teaches them to work smart and efficiently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad