News Article: Therrien Q & A with Dave Stubbs

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I don't get why some guys in here hate Michel Therrien. I like the guy and i think he's a good HC.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I dunno about the PK response. I could be looking into things too much, but seemed to be an idea that he needs to work on being a teammate ect. There seemed to be more talk about making him a better person ect.

Why can't PK be PK? I think his personality is a breath of fresh air.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I dunno about the PK response. I could be looking into things too much, but seemed to be an idea that he needs to work on being a teammate ect. There seemed to be more talk about making him a better person ect.

Why can't PK be PK? I think his personality is a breath of fresh air.

We don't know how he is with his teammates. I don't care if he's arrogant on the ice but I hope he's not a dick to his teammates.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I was pretty neutral when they hired Therrien wasn't that excited at all but the more we get to know him again the last little while he seems like a perfect fit.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I don't get why some guys in here hate Michel Therrien. I like the guy and i think he's a good HC.

Well, his first time here wasn't good at all, but to be fair the roster was horrible. For Pittsburgh he was good and bad - he got the team playing hard, but they had atrocious puck possession for such a talented team. I'm not a fan of coaches who completely disregard possession and think screaming "No excuses" at players makes up for using your talent properly.

That said, he seems to have learned somewhat form his mistakes and is at least making an effort to turn down the shouting. I like what he's been saying lately, that he wants more than one functioning line automatically makes him better than Cunneyworth. He also is potentially a good influence on the younger players. I think Therrien's old fashioned and I dislike this team's constant fear of being innovative, but he was better than the alternatives at least.

Habsland35

Aug 24, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I was pretty neutral when they hired Therrien wasn't that excited at all but the more we get to know him again the last little while he seems like a perfect fit.

i agree with this...i wasnt to crazy about this hiring but from listening and watching his interviews, im really starting to like this decision..hes really saying all the right things. Really big difference from the last guy that was here...

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Rivetting interview Dave Stubbs, thanks for all that hockey info you gouged out of the Head Coach of the Montreal Canadiens: blue collar identity, and they worked super hard to keep the coaches busy.

Rivetting.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Someone come and kill me now.
Not sure what the problem is... people hated AK for his laziness even though he might have been our most skilled player since Kovalev left. People DO want a hard-working team. Therrien never said we didn't want skill, but we want them to work. That's why Koivu was loved in this city although he was, realistically speaking, a poor 1st liner (Not a knock on him, I loved him, but he wasn't the most skilled player in the league).

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Not sure what the problem is... people hated AK for his laziness even though he might have been our most skilled player since Kovalev left. People DO want a hard-working team. Therrien never said we didn't want skill, but we want them to work. That's why Koivu was loved in this city although he was, realistically speaking, a poor 1st liner (Not a knock on him, I loved him, but he wasn't the most skilled player in the league).

Kostitsyn wasn't lazy, he was dumb.

I guess everyone has their own opinion, but watching the Habs last year I saw many, many things wrong with them - and a lack of hard work wasn't really one of them. They were facing constant injuries, had a soft defense that without Markov and Hamrlik left only Subban and Gorges looking competent, and complete garbage on the wings after the DD line.

There's only one player out there who seemed to be dogging it regularly to me, and that was Cammalleri, and we were worse without him.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I really like what the coach had to say... I think I'm going to like Therrien.

"You know what I think people want? A team with a blue-collar identity. A team that will work."

Yes sir!!

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Since when "blue collar" = hard working??

Does "blue collar" not mean playing a simple, conservative style that values hard work and physical play over "fancy" stuff? After all, it's taken from blue collar workers who do difficult, physical labour compared to white collar office workers.

I always see American pundits associate "blue collar" with things like "hard work and guts"

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Since when "blue collar" = hard working??

It's a figure of speech back when people used to gaf. People with names like Ralphy and Freddie. That was back in the before times, in the long long ago.

Anyway Therrien comes across as fairly intelligent in this article. Not how I used to describe the guy who once made Doug Gilmour so pissed he broke the glass on the penalty box door.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad