Therrien as Head Coach: for how much longer? must find his inner-walrus

Habsoil

Mar 24, 2012
Fort mac
Any coach needs players to work with no? Bergevin needs to get MT some better bigger players and unload some midgets, could quenville or mike Babcock do any better with our roster than Therrien is doing? I don't think so, you need the players, plain and simple and we don't have enough of what we need .

And MT did so much better with the far supperior pens?
Get outta town

pine*

Voted "within the next 2 years"... within the next 2 days would be a dream come true, however.

Sometimes, dreams do become reality (See Desharnais, David getting benched <although it was only for parts of the 3rd... but baby steps>).

Toastman

Oct 12, 2011
How about we hire Laviolette ? He's not francophone but at least his name sounds french

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Most coaches seems to last about 3 years. So far, it seems the players are still playing hard for him. I can't say he is doing poorly with the group he has been given.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
I wanted a Boucher/Robinson combo a while back instead we have Therrien and Daigneault.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Most coaches seems to last about 3 years. So far, it seems the players are still playing hard for him. I can't say he is doing poorly with the group he has been given.

This is a rather impressive roster, you should look around to see some of the absolutely talentless teams around.

I'm not even mad or clamoring for his head - the team still hasn't quit on him - but I really want to see some minor changes:

Bouillon off the 2nd PP
Desharnais off the lineup for a few games
Defensive scheme tightened a bit
PP reworked so that there's more motion and no one in the overlord position (IT DOESN'T WORK WHEN NO ONE HITS THE NET!!)

Some minor tactical tweaks might be what's required to be honest... and I'm a huge hater of Therrien but I just don't see cause for a firing just yet.

holyhabs

Jun 9, 2007
Well the only better franco coach is boucher. but if we dont hire him then who cares. we will be stuck with ****** coaching.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Let's not go into that debate again....but his stay with us is TOTALLY dependant as to which franco/bilingual coach is available. Don't see Lefebvre being considered, at least I hope not. So next in line are Vigneault, Julien, Roy and Boucher if you want a little bit of experience. Roy will still be with Colorado, same with Julien and we don't know about Vigneault but will we want him?

If not, then you go full rookie like Benoit Groulx. Or full full rookie à la Jean-François Houle.

I'm obviously fine with replacing MT in due time...but again, much easier said than done.
Does Peter Laviolette speak french?

NewHabsEra*

Laughable that years after years its either the coach or the goaltender who get the heat when we lose, We are still over .500 while the injured guys are coming back, no need to panic, we still are in good posture to make the playoffs.. The Sens are 4-6-3, does that make Mclean (Jack Adams) an incompetent coach??

Strange that we hear nothing about Therrien after a win.. :sarcasm:

Therrien is a very good coach and he is there to stay.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
"Young posters" is an interesting shot to take. What's your definition of young?

HFHabs rags on players because that's how we are, and if any of you meta-critics would lurk on other boards you'd understand that that's how everybody on HF behaves. And in actuality, that's how everyone on the internet behaves.

So it's not a matter of young or old, experienced or not, people have favourites - it's how it works.

I'm starting to enjoy your posts more and more, and your avatar is very good.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Early candidate list:

Guy Boucher
Éric Veilleux
Jean-François Houle
Peter Laviolette
André Tourigny
Clément Jodoin
Gérard Gallant
Benoit Groulx
Marc Crawford
Sylvain Lefebvre
Pascal Vincent
Larry Robinson
Dominique Ducharme
Philippe Boucher

**** list.

Babcock, IE: Bowman. Bilingual Montrealer. Great coach. 2 years from now.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
There's more criticism lately because our devastating defeats at the hands of the San Jose Sharks and Colorado Avalanche show us just how far removed we are from the genuinely best teams in the league. Against the below-average teams and the average teams, the Habs can compete and probably win more than they lose. However, against the Sharks and the Avalanche, it didn't look like they belonged in the same league.

We've had two of these games very nearby in time, and it's exposed some of our weaknesses. Even if we cover up holes like losing Bouillon, Desharnais, Briere (when he's back), Gionta (end of the season), and maybe getting Prust, Moen, and Emelin back, we still won't be on par with those teams, at least it doesn't seem so. And it's not as though we're going to cover up these holes, let's be honest.

This team is not currently good enough, but quite frankly it wouldn't be even with a great coach. We lack talent, and I blame Bergevin. His strategy is to "build through the draft", i.e. to sit back and let Timmins do all the heavy lifting. He needs to complement that with good signings and good trades, and so far he has absolutely failed to bring home the bacon.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Laughable that years after years its either the coach or the goaltender who get the heat when we lose, We are still over .500 while the injured guys are coming back, no need to panic, we still are in good posture to make the playoffs.. The Sens are 4-6-3, does that make Mclean (Jack Adams) an incompetent coach??

Strange that we hear nothing about Therrien after a win.. :sarcasm:

Therrien is a very good coach and he is there to stay.

Not really seeing the trending problems I guess? Because a lot of us are.

It is MT and Bergy's job to act, not react. To anticipate problems and prevent them.

They are paid huge money to do this by the way.

Therrien is a reactor. I don't like that at all.

I'm actually going to lose patience with Molson if Habs finish out of the PO this year, as he is the guy who has to hire the management and by extension coaching talent.

Would you would have been one of those officers on the Titanic who said it's only one bulkhead that's flooded, no problem? :)

Even if the ship is not going to sink, if you are in charge, you should act to prevent it.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Not really seeing the trending problems I guess? Because a lot of us are.

It is MT and Bergy's job to act, not react. To anticipate problems and prevent them.

They are paid huge money to do this by the way.

Therrien is a reactor. I don't like that at all.

I'm actually going to lose patience with Molson if we finish out of the PO this year, as he is the guy who has to hire the management and by extension coaching talent.

Would you would have been one of those officers on the Titanic who said it's only one bulkhead that's flooded, no problem? :)

In fairness to Therrien, it could be that he is under orders to give Desharnais 15 minutes a game. That makes it a lot harder to win.

I'm going to be honest, today when Desharnais was benched and then un-benched, I was seeing a miniature conspiracy theory in my mind: Therrien genuinely benched Desharnais, and then Bergevin phoned him and said "No, play Desharnais".

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
There's more criticism lately because our devastating defeats at the hands of the San Jose Sharks and Colorado Avalanche show us just how far removed we are from the genuinely best teams in the league. Against the below-average teams and the average teams, the Habs can compete and probably win more than they lose. However, against the Sharks and the Avalanche, it didn't look like they belonged in the same league.

We've had two of these games very nearby in time, and it's exposed some of our weaknesses. Even if we cover up holes like losing Bouillon, Desharnais, Briere (when he's back), Gionta (end of the season), and maybe getting Prust, Moen, and Emelin back, we still won't be on par with those teams, at least it doesn't seem so. And it's not as though we're going to cover up these holes, let's be honest.

This team is not currently good enough, but quite frankly it wouldn't be even with a great coach. We lack talent, and I blame Bergevin. His strategy is to "build through the draft", i.e. to sit back and let Timmins do all the heavy lifting. He needs to complement that with good signings and good trades, and so far he has absolutely failed to bring home the bacon.

I find it odd that you write such a thing, I mean... I remember not long ago a "tank thread" where you (among others obviously) were on the sell everyone for youth bandwagon (so to speak)...

but now you're blaming MB for doing it ?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

Bang on. This is Bergy's year to act with trades, and to a lesser extent FA signings, as **** as they usually are. I have said this since September. We will see.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

I agree with this. The team when fully healthy can compete night in and night out with much of the league and that might get you to the post season, but it brings the team short of the contender echelon. I also agree that Bergevin didn't find those needed complementary players and instead went for RDS approved names, he has to wear those mistakes for a while now because he got the team into some contracts that can't be moved.

Therrien is frustrating at times, but he's working with a mediocre team.
We all need to realize this. We also need to realize that Bergevin is gaining experience on the job.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I find it odd that you write such a thing, I mean... I remember not long ago a "tank thread" where you (among others obviously) were on the sell everyone for youth bandwagon (so to speak)...

Hello? We've moved on. Tank is over. Now we want to see Bergy act, with an excellent core. Keep up. :)

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

If you go back to the original surgical tank thread opening post:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=52983733&postcount=1
I stressed that the 2012-2013 was a potent opportunity for a 1-year tank, so that we would build through the draft, but over a smaller number of years, both due to higher draft picks from tanking, and through additional draft picks by trading away.

Now, however, the tanking window has closed because Galchenyuk and Gallagher are on the team and contributing, and Eller and Subban have really improved.

MB has a different strategy, he comes off as intending to build with draft picks and only draft picks in spite of continuously making the playoffs, that is very hard to do, and quite frankly unrealistic. In practice, better trades and contract signings will be needed as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->