News Article: Therrien And Briere

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Would love to see the quote for that. Get serious. What's even worse is the following poster that reacts to this post like it's an actual news item...
Therrien : "we finally tot dat chucky he was ready"

"shoot da puck go the da net" "grind dat team"

Therrien could have been a laughed at character in Slap Shot. Just playing himself.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If you're going to go off on players for mistakes, or even perceived mistakes, you'd better damn well be prepared to dole out compliments when that's warranted as well. Therrien is generally incapable of that.

This is what makes him not only a poor coach, but a crappy person as well.
Have you ever read what was said about arguably the best coach of all time, Scotty Bowman? The guy was a prick. Read Ken Dryden's book if you haven't already.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Quality ****ing post, and a waste of my time reading it because the following goes without saying...why is it naive?

Please reply with a full answer this time.

Some very big enterprises have very poor internal culture. Especially when profit and stock prices are everything.

For example, you could try to go work for the environment department in a big oil company (some friends of mine did). You wouldn't believe the stories. The oil company has to have an environment dept. because of the regulations, but they'd rather do without and it shows. So you're basically seen as a pure expense by the big boss. And from there, it goes all the way down to your own manager. Your work is seen as useless, you have no budget to meet the objective and then you get treated like crap because you didn't meet the objectives etc. Don't bother looking for a promotion, because they actually want incompetent people in charge of your department. Very very toxic.

And that's just one example.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Have you ever read what was said about arguably the best coach of all time, Scotty Bowman? The guy was a prick. Read Ken Dryden's book if you haven't already.

So Therrien is a comparable for Scotty Bowman now? Cool story.

Different times. Bullying tactics in the workplace was rampant and a common intimidation tactic during that era. It no longer applies in the here and now, whether or not society is better for it is a whole other debate.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
So Therrien is a comparable for Scotty Bowman now? Cool story.

Different times. Bullying tactics in the workplace was rampant and a common intimidation tactic during that era. It no longer applies in the here and now, whether or not society is better for it is a whole other debate.
Where did you get that? Jeez.

The poster I quoted said that a coach should mix criticism with praise. I simply replied by saying that the best coach of all time was an all time prick as well. Same goes for Mike Babcock, although he does dole out praise for his players.

Therrien was a dickhead, so are the majority of NHL coaches.

Reactions: scrubadam

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Some very big enterprises have very poor internal culture. Especially when profit and stock prices are everything.

For example, you could try to go work for the environment department in a big oil company (some friends of mine did). You wouldn't believe the stories. The oil company has to have an environment dept. because of the regulations, but they'd rather do without and it shows. So you're basically seen as a pure expense by the big boss. And from there, it goes all the way down to your own manager. Your work is seen as useless, you have no budget to meet the objective and then you get treated like crap because you didn't meet the objectives etc. Don't bother looking for a promotion, because they actually want incompetent people in charge of your department. Very very toxic.

And that's just one example.

OK, that sounds like people are getting shit on for their work. That's fine and acceptable.

If you go back and read what I said...you'll see that I said when a boss makes it personal like Therrien, especially at a company worth several hundreds of millions, then that company will most likely step in and stop the owner. Bigger companies care about laws of ethics if it can open them up to negative press. I can link you to news examples of Canadian managers and supervisors getting fired for bullying.

Whether you like it or not, large companies take bullying seriously not because they necessarily care about the employees, but to protect themselves from negative backlash.

I'll go a step further and say had Therrien been our coach right now and all this came out, he'd either get fired or he'd be on the tightest leash that exists, because the media would be destroying the organization and the habs don't want that kind of negative press. I'm sure all this doesn't even look good on Bergevin who hired and extended him.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I know all about Bowman. When I started watching hockey and cheering for the Habs Toe Blake was the coach. The thing is, one needs to look at the era in question for perspective.

For example, in the time when Bowman became coach of the Canadiens, men could still slap their wives in public without repercussion and minorities could be refused service because they were different.

Societal mores change with time. Hockey players have recourse now, as they are no longer chattel and command a different level of respect and legal protection than they were once accorded. Many things that were acceptable 40 years ago are proscribed today.

As a fraternity, professional sports was always slow to adapt to change, but inevitably had to fall in line.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
did anyone watch the game last night? They put up a quote from Blashill about Mantha. Let me tell you that quote wasn't a nice one. If MT would of said it about PK there would be riots on this board.

"“Anthony Mantha has got to be way better,” Blashill said. “Way better. It’s not OK to just be a passenger when you are given the opportunity to be an impact player.”

How about this gem from McLellan

"“I don’t want to be out there if I’m a penalty-killer blocking shots after (Pouliot takes) stupid penalties. He can sit and watch,” McLellan said. “We have things to fix as an organization and stupidity is one of them.”

another coach speaking up

"There were 16 shots and four went in," Peters continued. "Not good enough. You look at his numbers in the league and they're not good enough. So I don't think it's much of a competition. I think we've got a guy who's well ahead of the other guy. That's what I see and the numbers back that up."

and

"When he gets in again, he better play," Peters said. "You better earn some respect from your teammates. Your teammates are out there working their bag off, you better get some saves. And a timely save at the right time wouldn't hurt."

NHL coaches just seem like dicks in general if you ask me.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
did anyone watch the game last night? They put up a quote from Blashill about Mantha. Let me tell you that quote wasn't a nice one. If MT would of said it about PK there would be riots on this board.

"“Anthony Mantha has got to be way better,” Blashill said. “Way better. It’s not OK to just be a passenger when you are given the opportunity to be an impact player.”

How about this gem from McLellan

"“I don’t want to be out there if I’m a penalty-killer blocking shots after (Pouliot takes) stupid penalties. He can sit and watch,” McLellan said. “We have things to fix as an organization and stupidity is one of them.”

another coach speaking up

"There were 16 shots and four went in," Peters continued. "Not good enough. You look at his numbers in the league and they're not good enough. So I don't think it's much of a competition. I think we've got a guy who's well ahead of the other guy. That's what I see and the numbers back that up."

and

"When he gets in again, he better play," Peters said. "You better earn some respect from your teammates. Your teammates are out there working their bag off, you better get some saves. And a timely save at the right time wouldn't hurt."

NHL coaches just seem like dicks in general if you ask me.
Since he has said that about Mantha, his TEAM has responded with losing two games, total score 16-4 so just curious what the players think of all of this?? A coach can LOSE a team pretty quickly using Therrien style tactics, in the year 2017. The coaches who seem like dicks, are the one's that usually are about to get fired...using said tactics...

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Since he has said that about Mantha, his TEAM has responded with losing two games, total score 16-4 so just curious what the players think of all of this?? A coach can LOSE a team pretty quickly using Therrien style tactics, in the year 2017.

100% agree. Its what cost MT his job.

Coach's IMO tend to be alpha males. You need to have a big ego to coach millionaire entitled athletes who make more than you, are more famous than you, and in many instances have more pull than you with your boss. I can't imagine there were many timid coaches that lasted long in the NHL. I also think that's why coaches have such short shelf life because your message and tactics will eventually wear thin. And the minute the team doesn't win well the players won't be as forgiving since what they are doing isn't getting results anymore so why listen to this asshole.

Funny enough Babs was giving the leafs a break this year with no game day practices. Then the leafs had a mini down turn so he reinstated the game day skates and the leafs respond with a win. So being more of a hard ass worked in that situation.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
100% agree. Its what cost MT his job.

Coach's IMO tend to be alpha males. You need to have a big ego to coach millionaire entitled athletes who make more than you, are more famous than you, and in many instances have more pull than you with your boss. I can't imagine there were many timid coaches that lasted long in the NHL. I also think that's why coaches have such short shelf life because your message and tactics will eventually wear thin. And the minute the team doesn't win well the players won't be as forgiving since what they are doing isn't getting results anymore so why listen to this *******.

Funny enough Babs was giving the leafs a break this year with no game day practices. Then the leafs had a mini down turn so he reinstated the game day skates and the leafs respond with a win. So being more of a hard ass worked in that situation.
There is a fine line in pro sports these days..........coaching millionaires has got to be tough...but at the end of the day, you have to coach fairly...being critical is OK as long as the players can grow..........being critical like Therrien, is no way to do things............the Detroit coach has seemingly lost his team...wonder why?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad