News Article: Therrien And Briere

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
I don't mind Therrien yelling at Briere, PK etc. Call it "bullying" if you want, but what's the coach supposed to do after the dozenth time of pointing out a lazy Briere play or costly PK turnover? Hand out participation ribbons and say "don't worry, you'll get it right next time"? Sheesh. People are so fragile these days....A coach can't & shouldn't constantly be a prick, but they can't be coddling Mr. Nice Guys all the time, either.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I don't mind Therrien yelling at Briere, PK etc. Call it "bullying" if you want, but what's the coach supposed to do after the dozenth time of pointing out a lazy Briere play or costly PK turnover? Hand out participation ribbons and say "don't worry, you'll get it right next time"? Sheesh. People are so fragile these days....A coach can't & shouldn't constantly be a prick, but they can't be coddling Mr. Nice Guys all the time, either.

Agree and guess what Briere provide better hockey under MT than he did for the Avs the next year.

Asshole coaches like MT act gets old, and than you fire them. If you watch the presser, MB said it himself, sometimes the messenger gets out not so much the message.

But f*** Briere too, always hated him anyways.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

If you're going to go off on players for mistakes, or even perceived mistakes, you'd better damn well be prepared to dole out compliments when that's warranted as well. Therrien is generally incapable of that.

This is what makes him not only a poor coach, but a crappy person as well.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
If you're going to go off on players for mistakes, or even perceived mistakes, you'd better damn well be prepared to dole out compliments when that's warranted as well. Therrien is generally incapable of that.

This is what makes him not only a poor coach, but a crappy person as well.

remember when DD went down and Alex had his great Center break out
MT said it was his expert coaching that allowed it.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
remember when DD went down and Alex had his great Center break out
MT said it was his expert coaching that allowed it.

Would love to see the quote for that. Get serious. What's even worse is the following poster that reacts to this post like it's an actual news item...

Jul 6, 2016
Danny B was on AC last night, did anyone see this? Did they ask him about his relationship with the clown coach?

Yes they did. Nothing new said. They were not on the same wavelength for sure.

MT never wanted to have Brière with the Habs. And it showed.

Reactions: BLONG7

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
MT is and has always been an old school coach who looks to motivate by pushing buttons. These tactics work...for a short period of time.

MB's mistake was extending him IMO.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Therrien's antics wouldn't fly in the real world.

I remember a former coworker telling me about when he had joined a particular company and how senior management was old school, very old school.

The Manager would try to get him to quit on purpose by pushing his buttons.

I don't know if it was all a test to see if he had 'balls' or something, it was just weird from what I was told.

Jul 6, 2016
There is a generations clash nowadays. In every aspects of life.

Things that were accepted in the past, are no more today.

Different brands of persons.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
There is a generations clash nowadays. In every aspects of life.

Things that were accepted in the past, are no more today.

Different brands of persons.

It's not really just different brand of persons. The fact is the baby boomers retired but still spend money and there's more jobs than workers to fill them. It will be this way for a while specially with the anti immigration people speaking louder than others. I literally have between 3 and 5 serious job offers in my mailbox every week. I could quit my job at any moment and find a new one with the same salary (maybe even better) the next week. If my boss becomes a problem it's bye bye.

Of course hockey players situation is different but not that much. There's 31 NHL teams now instead of just the 21 there was when i was young. That's 200 more jobs. Then there's the european leagues giving better salary. The best players in the best leagues of europe have decent salary. Can be 150 000-200 000 US without too much trouble in a couple of those leagues for the best players. Someone can make a living out of it while traveling the world. Not for everybody but still an option. Hockey also has never been as popular as it is right now. Ticket price is high in many cities, people are willing to pay but you need to have the team to justify this price. Can't really have your star players turn their back on you. Way easier to fire a coach and GM than find new star players.

The persons are not different. The society is. François de Sales said it best : "Là où il y a de l'homme, il y a de l'hommerie" (Where there is man, there is manhood). People make better salary. They have more money to spend on leisure. Jobs are everywhere for people looking and willing to work. It's easier to change a bad management than hire the king pins in your domain. The king pins today have many many many options. Staying in a place where the boss doesn't like them is not part of their option.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Thanks..............this just reinforces, that MB seemed scared of the bully coach also...as his boss, he provided MT with Danny, and MT went out of his way, to not make it work.............MT put his feelings ahead of the team on an ongoing basis...........just ask PK Subban.
MB is an idiot also, for standing by, and listening to this clown coach...

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Brière was washed up when he came over to the Habs. Really, who cares?

Jul 6, 2016
Brière was washed up when he came over to the Habs. Really, who cares?

He would had been better at centre than on RW where MT was playing him most of the time. One thing is sure. He would had been ideal for shoot outs.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

You can be a mean person but as long as it's not personal...if my boss were to say "no one here respects you or wants to work with you" i can guarantee you he'd get fired, and I work for a billion dollar company just like Therrien does. That might get a pass in smaller companies, but bigger ones want the best well-rounded people that have a good attitude, not assholes that simply qualify for the job.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
where to start really.

I came to therrien's defence on many occasions, and I understand it rubs people the wrong way. Bullying is something we should all condemn, and his alleged interventions look clearly more like bullying than authoritarian coaching. That being said , I decided to take time and go back , read a few pages in a few threads and I can say that there is a certain level of hypocrisy in this thread. Whether its about the ''love story'' between DD and MT, or the simple fact that most of us wanted briere further down the lineup (something he probably wasn't happy about).

These guys are millionaires, its their job. As much as I'm disappointed that things got out of hands, I'm happy with anything that did not get out of hand. Subban, biere, DD, name it ... if they were slacking a game I'm happy the rest of their week was uncomfortable. I couldn't care less. Being an A-hole cost him his job, but I see nothing wrong in holding players accountable.
That has NOTHING to do with holding players to account. Especially when he often held the wrong player to account. So your condone bullying if it makes people feel bad. Pretty much the definition of a bullying. WELL PLAYED :clap:Takes a certain kind of person to in one instance condemn bullying then applaud it because it did exactly what bullying does.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Farts are funny. Who doesn't get a laugh from a fart. The old pull my finger is one of the oldest gags in the world. If you ever watch Naked gun one of the biggest laughs is when Franks mic is still on and he lets one rip.

MT was probably an *******. Lots of people in life are.
If therrien set someone on fire you would find an excuse for it.

Reactions: groovejuice

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Would love to see the quote for that. Get serious. What's even worse is the following poster that reacts to this post like it's an actual news item...

I remember this as clear as day as well. Seriously with all the stuff coming out about Therrien, how can you give him the benefit of the doubt.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
But lots of people appalled at his bullying behavior having no problems bullying people on this board, calling them names, being piece of ****s to them etc... MT is an ******* for telling Briere no one respects him, but posters are good people for saying the same thing to other posters?

Yeah but no matter how bergevin defenders bully and insult other posters and treat them like crap we still let you guys stick around. Therrien should be in jail for his abusive behaviour. Compare that against some of the witch hunts going on for less.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
You can be a mean person but as long as it's not personal...if my boss were to say "no one here respects you or wants to work with you" i can guarantee you he'd get fired, and I work for a billion dollar company just like Therrien does. That might get a pass in smaller companies, but bigger ones want the best well-rounded people that have a good attitude, not *******s that simply qualify for the job.

This is actually quite naive...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->