Thermo Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

romain_jaime

Feb 10, 2004
Montreal
I was watching Sportsnet last night and they had a story on a new skate blade that heats up to make skating easier... Does anyone have a link to an article about these blades? I have googled it and nothing :help:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
romain_jaime said:
I was watching Sportsnet last night and they had a story on a new skate blade that heats up to make skating easier... Does anyone have a link to an article about these blades? I have googled it and nothing :help:
Well, T blades do that and reduce friction. They're the ones with the circle holes in the holder. I hear they are amaizing. I haven't used them though. Search T-Blade.

romain_jaime

Feb 10, 2004
Montreal
Not the same blades, these ones have not yet been put out on the market. What it is is they heat up via a battery in the skate and liquify the blade with water for less friction.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Sounds like a breakthrough of some sort. I wonder how it affects the ice in term of wear and tear?

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I don't think it would affect the ice. When you heat it up, when you are skating, it's a split second you skate over each piece of ice and it's not like it's burning hot that it will dig into the ice. It reduces the friction. The T-Blade was based on this as it heated easier to reduce friction. This seems like a good idea but all blades get hot when you skate. If they're hot to start with they will probably glide much better. It seems a little much to have batteries in your skates though :dunno: . I think I'll stick with the LS2 holder LOL.

romain_jaime

Feb 10, 2004
Montreal
They claim (as well as Gretzky who tested the blades for the company) that this new technology will reduce injuries, ice wear and tear, and make players have more energy late in the third period due to less friction.

P.S The skate will have number 99 on the heal

Last edited:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Bet they'll be super expensive. Although it does sound like a cool idea and should work. #1 problem IMO is the tearing up of the ice though. There has to be some way that the ice can be more resitant to the ripping up it takes leaving it smoother longer.

glimradnor

Oct 12, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
They will have a battery inside that will ensure the blad stays at 4 degrees celsius.
There was an article in the Edmonton Journal today, but I don't know of a link to an online story.

romain_jaime

Feb 10, 2004
Montreal
glimradnor said:
They will have a battery inside that will ensure the blad stays at 4 degrees celsius.
There was an article in the Edmonton Journal today, but I don't know of a link to an online story.

Correct, I believe they said it was a lithium battery... Darn, I tried to get it off of the Edmonton Journal website but you have to be a customer that already purchases the journal to read the article.... :banghead:

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
sounds good in theory, but its probably just a gimmick to sell more skates. i cant see it making a huge impact. just another reason to charge ya 400 bucks for a new pair of skates. im waiting for the model that actually skates for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->