Pre-Game Talk: There's probably a game tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
4-2 Oilers. Smith stops 40 shots (if he starts) with 22 coming in the 3rd period after that Oilers go lethargic.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I know they need depth but why split those two up? McDavid is stuck with two saps now.

McDavid will produce with almost anyone on his line. Drai is slumping so it remains to be seen but I think he needs a bit more support than that to effectively use his toolkit.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
It'd be fascinating to see what would happen to Drai's game if they sat him for one.

That obviously would never happen, and there's a list of reasons not to do it....... but it'd be fascinating. He's been downright abysmal.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
McDavid will produce with almost anyone on his line. Drai is slumping so it remains to be seen but I think he needs a bit more support than that to effectively use his toolkit.
This is the mindset that had Lucic stapled to him for so long. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Is he? They seemed to be doing just fine when he was injured.

Being facetious. I am do not think Larsson is any better than a 3rd pairing defenceman at this point.

Once Bouchard joins the team next year, Larsson may not even have a spot.

Nurse - Bear
Klebom - Bouchard
Russell - Jones/Persson

People are talking about moving Russell. I might be inclined to keep Russell and move Larsson instead. Larsson might have more value and Russell is more versatile.

Larsson adds nothing except goals against.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Being facetious. I am do not think Larsson is any better than a 3rd pairing defenceman at this point.

Nurse - Bear
Klebom - Bouchard
Russell - Jones/Persson

People are talking about moving Russell. I might be inclined to keep Russell and move Larsson instead. Larsson might have more value and Russell is more versatile.

That right side just seems a bit too raw for me. Would rather have Benning on the third pairing.

Persson does nothing for me and I don't think Jones is quite ready yet.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Nurse - Bear
Klebom - Bouchard
Russell - Jones/Persson

The sooner Larsson is gone, the better

Reactions: Porkleaker

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
No Staal and no Koivu I'm pretty sure there is literally no reason this team shouldn't win this game. Hopefully Draisaitl's drunk play has subsided we need him to be a lot better going forward. I'll never understand why Tippett doesn't like Persson but will happily throw out Larsson when he makes more blunders with the puck per shift than Persson had in an entire game. Part of me thinks they are trying hard to showcase Jones at this point but we are icing a worse line up to do that.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
What its like to watch the Oilers vs the Wild

source.gif
I swear the Wild could have 16 duplicates of a lazy galchenyuk on their team and they would manage to beat us in Minnesota.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I know they need depth but why split those two up? McDavid is stuck with two saps now.

You mean the sap that had 2 goals last game?

I like that they're keeping the lines as is. McDrai was getting stale, Nuge needs help on the 2nd line and the Oilers will be a lot more dangerous if they have two good lines going with two elite players running their own line. I hope Tippett gives these lines a good 4-5 game look.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
This is the mindset that had Lucic stapled to him for so long. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

And the dude still produced well over a PPG... I'm not saying it's Optimal, I'm saying McDavid is an absolute beast.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
They've proven that nobody can help them for the most part - run as a one and a half line team and hope they can work some magic. This is like drinking beer for the empties.

Reactions: Porkleaker

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

I like that they're keeping the lines as is. McDrai was getting stale, Nuge needs help on the 2nd line and the Oilers will be a lot more dangerous if they have two good lines going with two elite players running their own line. I hope Tippett gives these lines a good 4-5 game look.
Both Nuge AND Draisatl need help. That line blew ass last game. Kassian scored a couple goals but the brain farts did him in yet again.

And seriously, Nygard? Nothing against the guy but if you wanted to make a debate that we have terrible winger depth, well..

Reactions: BlackDogg

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Nurse - Bear
Klebom - Bouchard
Russell - Jones/Persson

Russell can be replaced, his best game this year was with Larsson vs LAK facing tough starts and playing big minutes. If you think what that pair did that night was 3rd pair quality I don't know what to tell you. The rest of the time Russell mostly faces 3rd/4th line comp.

Larsson came back from a 2 months on injury reserve having broken a leg. Last games he has been at the very least average, I'd argue very good (LAK), good (BUF) and average (CAR). If you don't like the guy just because, then that's a different story. But you cannot with a straight face say that the only thing he's added these last games is goals against when he's played the toughest minutes out of all our Ds and still come out pretty ok, 1 GA vs Aho's line, shutting down Kopitar's and Skinner's lines.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Both Nuge AND Draisatl need help. That line blew ass last game. Kassian scored a couple goals but the brain farts did him in yet again.

And seriously, Nygard? Nothing against the guy but if you wanted to make a debate that we have terrible winger depth, well..

Lets be honest, you would complain about the coaching decisions either way.

Reactions: TB12

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada

Nurse - Bear
Klebom - Bouchard
Russell - Jones/Persson

I would much have Russell over Larsson at this point as well. And what was that word salad at the top???

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The Mad Trapper of Rat River should be coaching this game.
Oilers should just do the same.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Here here!
This is looking at the bigger picture, long term. Not being obsessed with the standings in mid-November. Splitting up McD and Drai reminds me of splitting up Zetterberg and Dats in Detroit. Didn't work the first or the second time, but once they managed to fill the wings the sum of those two lines was much better than when they were together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->