"There's only one right way"

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
I'm going to try my best to describe something that happened tonight during a team practice. This was something said to me and nothing someone has ever tried to criticize me on has ever bothered me quite like this.

After a practice, I was told by two teammates that I "always look for the hardest possible play".

We were in a 2 on 2 scrimmage with our goalie just taking turns going up against each other. My teammate I was partnered with who is also my linemate is very simple, he drives to the outside every time, and centers the puck into the slot or right on goal.

The problem is that I don't play like that. For example, there was one point where my teammate was in front of the net and was absolutely not in position for any type of deflection or shot, and was doing no job of screening the goalie. So when I was pressured by the D, I felt I could beat him and pulled a simple move. Even though I beat him, I was ridiculed for not simply throwing the puck at the net. I told them all that if they're not moving around, then they're not open for a pass. It just flew over their heads.

My style of play is that if I don't see something I like, i slow it down, take my time, and try to find something I am confident with. Almost all my teammates have one set play in their mind when they have the puck and they will attempt it no matter the chance of it actually working. The problem is that if I try to beat someone 1v1 when I feel a pass simply isn't there, and fail.....it looks a lot worse than if I had just tried the pass and had it blocked off.

They tell me that I always look for the hardest possible play, I will try something ridiculous when the simple pass is there. I don't feel this is true at all, so I tried to explain to them that I view the game differently. What they may think is a sure pass, to me, is viewed as a high risk pass where I have a better chance to try something else.

Upon saying that I feel I just view the game differently, I was told "There is only one right way to view the game".

When playing in games, I've produced more goals and played far better with a teammate of a lesser caliber than the one I play with right now simply because he doesn't let me play my game. My job is to go to the net, all the time, always, and wait for the certain centering pass. Just stay there and wait. I can't stand this, my game is to constantly be moving waiting to get open for a quick shot.

This is more of a rant than anything but comments are welcome and appreciated. Some people just can't accept that I play a different style of hockey than them, and I need a partner who is willing to work with that in order to produce. To them, I'm just a bad hockey player. I've actually been dubbed the name Nylander in reference to how I work with the puck. I'm not sure how that's supposed to be demeaning actually...

Anyone with similar stories of teammates they don't play well with? I'm not quite sure how to deal with this since every time I have an opinion on my team, it is just tossed out the window. I should probably find a new one >.<

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
tell your teammates their idiots.

Only one right way to view the game, thats the best one i've ever heard.
The truth is their are millions of ways to view the game.

As for your team getting mad because you deke a guy instead of making a pass thats not there, tell them from your angle, you can tell the pass was not going to make it. Sometimes, being even just 5 degrees to the left changes the path in which you see as open or not.

MOST importantly, and I think this is the one thing most kids,adults or whoever have trouble with is.. MOVE YOUR FEET!
I coach an elite level here in Montreal and all me and the other coaches keep saying are MOVE YOUR FEET! If you stop moving them, you make it so much easier for the opposition to get the puck away from you. You always have to be in motion, wheather your playing competetive or friendly hockey, moving your feet makes your job with the puck so much easier, and without the puck, it creates many openings in which your teammates can get you the puck.
A player that doesnt move his feet is hurting himself and the team and is basically cheating if you ask me. You wanna play hockey, you get on the ice for 40-45 seconds you move your feet all the time, you bust your behind and you change.

FiveThreeEmptyNet

Sep 3, 2007
Florida
If there is only one way to view the game...

...I'll take the way Wayne Gretzky did.

Actually, he viewed things on the ice in a manner that nobody else did, so we've established at least two ways. His way and the way everyone else did.

There are different styles. It is important that you find a way to play with the guys on your team/line. I wish you well.

My peeve is when people pass me the puck when I'm stopped at the blueline. Let's say I've already straddled and coasted to the board. I DON'T WANT THE PUCK! There's nothing I can do from there. I'm at a stand still. YOU can skate it in or dump it so I can chase it. Of course, this only works if I let them know I don't want the puck. They probably think they're doing me a favor by sharing.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
good words, thanks guys. The first season I played with this team I wondered why everyone hated them :/

vexXed

Oct 23, 2005
Hong Kong
"There is only one right way to view the game" - Um. No. The game is about being creative, trying different things and experimenting constantly. What a ridiculous thing to say.

Sucks that your own team mates won't be open minded about something so fair. I suppose you should just get different line-mates. If they aren't happy with your style (which, from reading seems absolutely fine) then I suppose that would factor under chemistry, and it isn't working. Find someone else that compliments your style better and vice versa. Personally I am more of an utility player doing whatever the team needs, but of course there are going to be line-mates that are better suited for my style of play just like everyone else.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
yeah it's like I said, I'm a very patient player. My game is to control the speed of everything. A lot of the time when I'm coming down the wing I'll slow myself down for a second or two and then skate real hard and speed up again. Or I'll make a quick stop , wait till someone challenges me and move around again. Things like this I feel let me control how and when a player is going to challenge me, and that makes it all the more easy for me to find a good pass or get myself into scoring position.

If I'm carrying the puck up and I don't see any play, I turn around, and I start over. This pisses off my teammates quite a bit but I don't like turning the puck over. I'm smaller than most people too so what to them is a simple play where they will dip their shoulder and throw a pass by someone into the slot.....well that gets me thrown down every time I would dare to attempt it. They don't know what it's like to have people box you out so easily because you cannot overpower them, so I dangle to compensate. Even if I need to learn a few new moves =P

I guess I'm not very oldschool. The thing they simply cannot comprehend is that what seems like a flashy unnecessary play to them, is instinct to me, whether it works or not.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Yea thats a load of BS....Ive gotten alot of crap before for not looking for a pass that I KNOW either 1 wont get there or 2 will get there but will be stripped 2 secs later because of a closing defenseman everyone sees the game differently keep playing your game man. You may catch **** more than you dont but if its producing the coaches/players that know what they're talking about will stop trying to tell you how to play and let you play your game. Simple doesnt always work and the only problem i think they actually have is that if you threw it at the net there is a possible chance for a rebound. But 10 out of 10 times I would have done the exact same thing you did. Keep your head up and keep playing your game!

XweekendwarriorX

Jul 19, 2007
Buffalo,NY
If its at a practice just thorw it at the net and show them that he is not in the right spot to make any sort of play. and just say if you cant keep up with how i play the game than try to understand im out here to make a play and win not play from 1 point of view. point out there mistakes and just tell them if thats how you want to play go ahead but dont criticize me on making the right plays.

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
First, I don't agree that there is only one way to play the game. BUT, by the kind of replies you're getting, I'd have to ask all you guys about the meaning of teamwork.

I think the real question is "What does your coach say?"

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
let the other dude go to the front of the net and shoot it at him...

haha nice. Lots of good replies guys, thanks. This is mostly beer league style hockey which is another reason it pisses me off, but when I transfer schools in a few months hopefully, and play at a college level (hopefully), I don't want to deal with the same crap. So I'm trying to figure it out now.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I'm going to try my best to describe something that happened tonight during a team practice. This was something said to me and nothing someone has ever tried to criticize me on has ever bothered me quite like this.

After a practice, I was told by two teammates that I "always look for the hardest possible play".

We were in a 2 on 2 scrimmage with our goalie just taking turns going up against each other. My teammate I was partnered with who is also my linemate is very simple, he drives to the outside every time, and centers the puck into the slot or right on goal.

The problem is that I don't play like that. For example, there was one point where my teammate was in front of the net and was absolutely not in position for any type of deflection or shot, and was doing no job of screening the goalie. So when I was pressured by the D, I felt I could beat him and pulled a simple move. Even though I beat him, I was ridiculed for not simply throwing the puck at the net. I told them all that if they're not moving around, then they're not open for a pass. It just flew over their heads.

My style of play is that if I don't see something I like, i slow it down, take my time, and try to find something I am confident with. Almost all my teammates have one set play in their mind when they have the puck and they will attempt it no matter the chance of it actually working. The problem is that if I try to beat someone 1v1 when I feel a pass simply isn't there, and fail.....it looks a lot worse than if I had just tried the pass and had it blocked off.

They tell me that I always look for the hardest possible play, I will try something ridiculous when the simple pass is there. I don't feel this is true at all, so I tried to explain to them that I view the game differently. What they may think is a sure pass, to me, is viewed as a high risk pass where I have a better chance to try something else.

Upon saying that I feel I just view the game differently, I was told "There is only one right way to view the game".

When playing in games, I've produced more goals and played far better with a teammate of a lesser caliber than the one I play with right now simply because he doesn't let me play my game. My job is to go to the net, all the time, always, and wait for the certain centering pass. Just stay there and wait. I can't stand this, my game is to constantly be moving waiting to get open for a quick shot.

This is more of a rant than anything but comments are welcome and appreciated. Some people just can't accept that I play a different style of hockey than them, and I need a partner who is willing to work with that in order to produce. To them, I'm just a bad hockey player. I've actually been dubbed the name Nylander in reference to how I work with the puck. I'm not sure how that's supposed to be demeaning actually...

Anyone with similar stories of teammates they don't play well with? I'm not quite sure how to deal with this since every time I have an opinion on my team, it is just tossed out the window. I should probably find a new one >.<

you gotta make your own play... id tell your coach "these kids dont want to play".......id just shoot the puck and see if one of your team mates can maybe grab a rebound and pot it. try lifting sticks, thats what i do when i played forward.

id shoot the puck at the kid thats "day dreaming" wake him up a little, a little 2 foot high wrister.

SSM12

May 30, 2004
North Carolina, USA
That is the exact rant I get from teamates. In roller and ice. I tell them(especially in inline) that im not gonna toss a puck infront for a "chance" at tipping it in when there is noone on the other wing to keep it in, its high risk, low reward to me, especially in Inline. As for ice, they dont mind, cause i am normally successfull, and if I feel i am not, i go out of my way to pass, just to not get them upset. I dont mind, its just a game. It's inline that really pisses me off. Noone moves around in that league, they always go to the front and give me no options. I can be 1-3 guys but I can't continually beat players 1 on 1, its irritating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad