OT: "There's no question we have too many young players," Tom Watt says; Cam Neely traded 92 days later.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
And no, I wasn’t a fan of the Gudbranson trade from the get go. What had Realgud ever done?
Think about this......Guds has a LONG way to go before even matching the amount of good seasons Pederson did have with *us*.

Often overlooked in the trade was the pick we also gave up. True, there's no guarantee we would've drafted Wesley but that guy himself played for SEVENTEEN seasons after Pederson last suited up for the Canucks (had a 1400+ NHL game career).

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I actually never knew that the deal was worked out as an alternative to compensation picks. I never really knew the specifics of the CBA pre-95 but the only one I really remember was he Scott Stevens/Brendan Shanahan deal, though these things aren't listed on HockeyDB.

Looking at it in retropesct now though it was very similar to the Boston/Toronto Phil Kessel trade.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Oh man the dark age of the Canucks.

I honestly feel like I'm reliving that time again ever since Jim Benning and Trevor Linden took over.

I'm just sitting here waiting for Jimbo to package up one of our good young players + a 1st for something that we "need"

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Oh man the dark age of the Canucks.

I honestly feel like I'm reliving that time again ever since Jim Benning and Trevor Linden took over.

I'm just sitting here waiting for Jimbo to package up one of our good young players + a 1st for something that we "need"

really it's just been one extremely long dark age except for roughly 2009-12

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Meh.

It was scary times back then...really bad management lead to almost nobody in the stands and talk of relocation.

Even after we hired the legendary Pat Quinn it was grim but at least he had the sense to completely rebuild this team. Sold off vets, made great trades and tanked it for hi end talent.

If it wasn't for a competent GM and a young russian kid named Pavel Bure then we probably would have lost this franchise.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I was sad to see Cam go, but I'll agree... Vancouver had the Reverse Midas touch at the time. Sandlak level performance was a distinct possibility. Sadly, I think we hung onto Sandlak so long because we were afraid he would turn into another Neely.

Also, the Canucks really needed a top center to go up against the Gretzky's and Hawerchuks and Messier's that they were facing on a regular basis. Unfortunately, Pederson never fully recovered from his arm surgery... and then he further deteriorated in Vancouver.

I was more mad, though, about the Vaive and Derlago for Williams and Butler trade. That one made no sense.

And just for some larfs, here's some of the high quality stable of 21 and under talent we had in the hopper at the time of the Neely trade...

Jim Agnew
David Bruce
Craig Coxe
J.J. Daigneault
Troy Gamble
Taylor Hall
Robert Kron
Dave Lowry
Michel Petit
Jim Sandlak
Ronnie Stern
Tony Tanti
Dan Woodley
We had a Taylor Hall!? I never knew lol.
Man that list of player is sad. Can't believe of all the guys on this list, they let the one truly good player go.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I tend to hold the unpopular opinion that winning the Cup is overrated, not that I don't want to see us win just in a 30+ team league you can do everything right and never win it so it's probably not healthy to base your fan obsession around it. Case in point, while the playoff success was disappointing (though I'll always feel Steve Moore robbed us of another Cup run) the WCE era was highly entertaining hockey. That's not a "dark age". Even the short lived Nonis 3 years while below par weren't an outright disaster - we got to see the Sedin's emerge as top line players and the acquisition of our franchises best goalie ever for the latter 2 years.

Basically while we never won the ultimate prize I'd say we really had a good run between the Keenan/Messier years and the current Benning management... let's call it the Crawford-Vigneault era. While we fell short of the ultimate prize that was still a really great run. Really the only bad part I would say is how we often tend to lose in the worst manner possible.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Tanti was legit good... for a bit. Not Neely good though. Then again, he would have significantly upped his scoring if he had played with Oates too.

"for a bit" = five straight season of 39-45 goals. Neely & Tanti - two very different players.

Not exactly sure what you're driving at with the Oates remark - by the time Oates started producing, Tanti was in decline & couldn't even put up decent stats with the Penguins & all their offensive talent. Plus, I'm not sure Tanti & Oates would've been a good tandem - Tanti was a slow skater who specialized in garbage goals. Oates did best passing to a skating sniper.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
"for a bit" = five straight season of 39-45 goals. Neely & Tanti - two very different players.

Not exactly sure what you're driving at with the Oates remark - by the time Oates started producing, Tanti was in decline & couldn't even put up decent stats with the Penguins & all their offensive talent. Plus, I'm not sure Tanti & Oates would've been a good tandem - Tanti was a slow skater who specialized in garbage goals. Oates did best passing to a skating sniper.

Well Tanti, like Neely was a sniper... he and and Oates, or a theoretical Oates, would have been a dangerous duo. What I'm driving at is that Neely blossomed when he played with an elite playmaker. Tanti too, given a better center than he had in Vancouver could well have surpassed 50 goals. Pederson was supposed to be that guy, but just couldn't return to the level of play he had exhibited a couple of years earlier previously with the Bruins.

That said, Tanti always started hot then wore down over the course of the season. And it turned out he was too small to play his style of game over the long term. Tanti was pretty much spent as an offensive force by the time he was 24. Pederson, OTOH, got a couple of extra decent years, racking up his last 70+ point season when he was 27.

Anyway, my larger point was, when we traded Neely, we didn't have a ton of top notch young talent. Tanti was one of the nice pieces we had, although he had a rather short peak... or more specifically, he flamed out young. Neely probably benefited greatly from being traded away to a team that had better playmaking centers than we had. He would probably not had a Hall of Fame career had he stayed in Vancouver. Tanti would probably have racked up more impressive numbers if we had had better playmaking centers or he if had been traded to a team that did. Not the deepest of thoughts, admittedly.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Yeah, it turned out to be a bad trade... but there was justification. Previous to his surgery, Pederson had proven himself a top offensive performer. And he was still young. His surgery wasn’t something that should have rung too many alarm bells... it wasn’t knee surgery or anything.

Cam, at that point hadn’t shown much more than Virtanen has. Would you trade him and a 1st for, say, Draisaitl (if he’d missed time last year with a hand injury)?

And no, I wasn’t a fan of the Gudbranson trade from the get go. What had Realgud ever done?

I had more concerns than you about Pederson's health and was much higher on Neely than you.

Pederson had two shoulder surgeries for the removal of a tumour. The first surgery wasn't considered too serious and he returned, played 22 games with greatly decreased production (dropping from 1.45 ppg to 0.55 ppg) and had a second, more serious shoulder surgery that included removing muscle.

He returned apparently healthy for 1985-6 and scored 0.95 ppg. I remember at the time of the trade figuring that was a reasonable expectation going forward. (League scoring was higher in those days.)

It seemed to me that the Canucks failed to allow for the contingency that Pederson was not going to return to being a top center after his shoulder surgery. In fact, for two seasons Pederson was exactly what he had been for the Bruins in 1985-86, but that was 40 pts per season less than his production before his shoulder surgeries.

As for Neely, you're comparing him with Virtanen and saying he hadn't shown much more than Virtanen had. I strongly disagree. To compare Neely in his three Canuck years with Virtanen's first three seasons:

18 YO
Neely NHL 56 games, 16 goals, 15 assists, 31 pts, 57 PIM
Virtanen Junior-52 pts in 50 games, a slight improvement on his ppg rate in his draft year

19 YO
Neely NHL 72 games 21 goals 18 assists 39 pts 137 PIM
Virtanen NHL 55 games 7 goals 6 assists 13 pts 45 PIM

20 YO
Neely NHL 73 games 14 goals 20 assists 34 pts 126 PIM
Virtanen AHL 65 games 9 goals 10 assists 19 pts 48 PIM (and 1 assist in 10 NHL games)

It was a different league then. Not only was scoring much higher but fighting was much more a part of the game, with in 1985-6 20 players having more than 200 PIM and 57 players having at least 150. Neely had already shown himself to be a willing combatant and good at it. Neely's performance in his 3 NHL seasons with the Canucks far exceeded Virtanen's year of junior, 1 NHL season with 13 pts in 55 games and his poor AHL season as a 20 year old, even taking into account that NHL scoring was higher in those days. At the end of his D + 3 season Neely had played 3 NHL seasons and scored over 20 goals in one of them while showing toughness. At the end of his D + 3 season Virtanen had spent a season in junior and in his most recent season was disappointing in the minors. They were worlds apart.

Even as a 21 year old, Virtanen was well behind what Neely was as a 19 and 20 year old.

Further, the fact that the 1987 pick the Canucks gave up turned into the 3rd overall pick shouldn't have been a surprise. They had the 4th worst record in the league in the season in 1985-6, the trade then being made in June, 1986.

So the Canucks were giving up what figured to be a high 1st round pick and a very young winger who had already scored over 20 goals in a season and was tough in what was a league that depended on intimidation for a former star center who had had serious health issues and hadn't returned to anything near his previous level of production.

The trade looks worse in retrospect than it did at the time, but it looked really bad to me the day the trade was announced.

The argument that the Canucks were going to lose Neely as compensation anyway for signing Pederson doesn't make any sense when there was an option not to overpay for Pederson by not signing him. It wasn't as if this was a good team about to get over the hump by signing a top-notch center. They had been 4th worst in the league and last in the Smythe Division before obtaining Pederson, then in the two years he produced as he had his last season in Boston the Canucks came last in the Smythe Division and 3rd worst in the league both seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
You're right, Virtanen was probably a bad match... other than being a high pick "power forward" who hasn't broken out yet. Neely had shown more at a younger age, although 80's scoring mitigates that a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I hate/d the Neely trade, but in retrospect I understand the gamble. Sadly, it was a gamble that crapped out.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
I couldn't believe this trade when it happened. Pederson clearly wasn't the same player after his shoulder surgeries and they already had Sundstrom, who was better anyway. Sure their pipeline for centers was dry but who the hell trades for a player who has already shown decline after two very significant surgeries? Jack Gordon and Tom Watt were terrible and at a time when Vancouver was probably closest to losing the team. Seats were empty and they panicked.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Bertuzzi <-> Luongo

Markus Naslund <-> Alex Stojanov
Trevor Linden <-> Todd Bertuzzi
Garth Butcher, Dan Quinn <-> Geoff Courtnall, Robert Dirk, Sergio Momesso, Cliff Ronning
Thomas Gradin <-> 2nd round pick to Chicago

Cam Neely was a bum. He never did nothing for the Canucks. Barry Pederson was almost a point a game man for his first few years and at the end of his stay here was our leading face off man. Guy had a great career and was great for the Canucks but no one ever mentions it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad