OT: "There's no question we have too many young players," Tom Watt says; Cam Neely traded 92 days later.

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by Blade Paradigm, Oct 26, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Blade Paradigm

Blade Paradigm Registered User

In March of 1986, Vancouver Canucks coach and assistant general manager Tom Watt famously said "there's no question we have too many young players."

Three months later, the Canucks traded Cam Neely and their first-round pick in 1987 for Barry Pederson.

[​IMG]

"There's no question we have too many young players. It's difficult to compete, for example, when you have less than 1,000 games of NHL experience among your six defencemen some nights. Mistakes made behind your own blueline cost you, and we have a lot of young fellows back there. It takes time to mature in the National Hockey League, especially on defence.

With youth, there's optimism that things are going to get better. But youth doesn't always mean good, and older players doesn't always mean bad. There's a danger that you can always be building and you never get there.

Sometimes, I get concerned that we put too much (emphasis) on young players and try to rush them to be leaders before they're really ready."
    - Tom Watt, March 1986

"Cam Neely, a rugged, 205-pound right winger at age 20, is a prime example. Neely was rushed into the Canuck lineup as a raw rookie in 1983. He's had moderate success, with 21 goals last season, but this year has been a disaster.

Neely has scored only eight times and his confidence has deteriorated. A product of the underage draft, Neely's career would have been better served by a longer training period in junior."
    - Grant Kerr, The Globe and Mail, March 7, 1986
    "Yesterday, the Vancouver Canucks avoided a compensation issue by trading forward Cam Neely and their first-round draft choice in the 1986 entry draft to the Boston Bruins for star centre Barry Pederson, whose contract was about to expire on July 1.

The Canucks had planned to sign Pederson and pay the compensation, which would have been two first-round draft choices or one first-round choice plus the fifth-best player on their roster. By making the formal trade, compensation did not need to be worked out."
    - William Houston, The Globe and Mail, June 7, 1986
    "Sure, we gave up a lot. But we had to get Pederson. Last year, we didn't have a centre who scored 20 goals. How would you like to play the Edmonton Oilers eight times a year without a 20-goal centreman?" - Tom Watt, December 1986

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  2. Lupuls Grit

Lupuls Grit Registered User

Working for a living
    Ah, memories. I'm glad I read this in the morning. Hopefully I'll have forgotten about it again by the time I try to sleep tonight...

Megaterio Llamas and geebaan like this.
  3. geebaan

geebaan 7th round busted

That quote sounds like Travis Green

4. BloatedGuppy

BloatedGuppy Registered User

That quote sounds like [NHL COACH].

n00bxQb likes this.
  5. Intangibos

Intangibos High-End Intangibos

Good post, great way to start the day.

Do you have any information on the post Lafayette hit? Could really make me feel ready to work on Monday!

EP40 likes this.
  6. Hit the post

Hit the post Registered User

Professional Slacker
    Jim Benning > Jack Gordon.

Think about that for a moment (re: Jack Gordon's performance as GM).

Ghost of David Bruce likes this.
  7. I in the Eye

I in the Eye Drop a ball it falls

The video worth 1000 words:

8. Hit the post

Professional Slacker
    Where do you think I got my username from?;)

9. Intangibos

Honestly I don't really care about 94, don't get mad at me. I was 3 years old and I'd rather I get to watch the first Canuck cup, it seems sweeter somehow. Feel sad for my parents though, life long fans and I think there is a good chance they won't make it to see the Canucks win. Then again at this rate there is a good chance we won't either.

An analysis of the physics involved in the puck to Malhotra's eye or a breakdown of how Hamhuis' body was destroyed in a hipcheck gone wrong would hurt so much more.

10. PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin Registered User

**** you for being a soft 3 yr old. We needed more gritty 10 year olds like my self to win the cup.

11. Intangibos

If we filled the age gap we could have won

nuck luck and PuckMunchkin like this.
  12. NuxFan09

NuxFan09 Registered User

13. krutovsdonut

krutovsdonut holy makarov!

jack gordon traded for jim benning.

Hit the post likes this.
  14. Cogburn

Cogburn Registered User

So there are two lessons here:

1. Don't trade a power forward after rushing him into the league (what was done).

2. Don't put all your energy into drafting/development, build around those players rather than inject youth and nothing else (what was said).

15. Hollywood Burrows

Hollywood Burrows Registered User

yeah that was a pretty big mistake alright

16. krutovsdonut

krutovsdonut holy makarov!

islanders made that mistake with bertuzzi in our favour. so we got some redemption.

17. Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz Registered User

Neely trade was probably the most lopsided trade in NHL history...A clear demonstration on giving up on young players far too soon...Idiotic.

We somewhat redeemed ourselves with the Naslund trade.

18. Hit the post

Professional Slacker
    I think an argument could be made that Benning the NHLer might be better than any D he's acquired other than drafting with the possible exception of Stecher.

19. PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin Registered User

Bertuzzi <-> Luongo

20. PecaFan

PecaFan Registered User

Home Page:
    I'm as diehard a fan as anyone, but the Neely trade never bothered me for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, we were going to lose him anyway as compensation. Management was dead set on Pederson, and Boston just would have taken Neely anyway. So the trade was essentially irrelevant.

I also firmly believe that had we held on to Cam, at best he tops out as a Jim Sandlak. In Boston, he had a small rink, and was surrounded by great talent, hall of famers, and all stars. In Vancouver, he would have been playing with crap, border line beer leaguers and waiver fodder. No way in hell he develops the same way.

LuckyDay likes this.
  21. Ghost of David Bruce

Ghost of David Bruce Registered Geezer

I was sad to see Cam go, but I'll agree... Vancouver had the Reverse Midas touch at the time. Sandlak level performance was a distinct possibility. Sadly, I think we hung onto Sandlak so long because we were afraid he would turn into another Neely.

Also, the Canucks really needed a top center to go up against the Gretzky's and Hawerchuks and Messier's that they were facing on a regular basis. Unfortunately, Pederson never fully recovered from his arm surgery... and then he further deteriorated in Vancouver.

I was more mad, though, about the Vaive and Derlago for Williams and Butler trade. That one made no sense.

And just for some larfs, here's some of the high quality stable of 21 and under talent we had in the hopper at the time of the Neely trade...

Jim Agnew
    David Bruce
    Craig Coxe
    J.J. Daigneault
    Troy Gamble
    Taylor Hall
    Robert Kron
    Dave Lowry
    Michel Petit
    Jim Sandlak
    Ronnie Stern
    Tony Tanti
    Dan Woodley

22. nuck luck

nuck luck Registered User

?

A bad trade is a bad trade. There is no justification for it...no excuse.

So you have no problem tossing in a guaranteed high pick for the sake of it too? I guess you have no problem with the Gud trade because we have Pete, Bo and it seems Gaudette down the middle. Hell, he wouldn't make it here anyways, we don't have enough good wingers to line up with him. No way in hell he develops the same way.

23. ProstheticConscience

ProstheticConscience Happy Thoughts

Not sure what the point of this thread is. It's not like we haven't been up and down this a hundred times in here.

Zippgunn likes this.
  24. Blade Paradigm

Blade Paradigm Registered User

Tony Tanti, Patrik Sundstrom, and Petri Skriko were all excellent as young players for the Canucks. Skriko scored 38 goals in 1985-86; Tanti scored 39. Sundstrom averaged 73 points per season as a Canuck.

I just think Neely was misused. He thrived whenever he played with a competent playmaker a la Craig Janney and Adam Oates. He was playing down the depth chart with the Canucks.

25. Ghost of David Bruce

Ghost of David Bruce Registered Geezer

Yeah, it turned out to be a bad trade... but there was justification. Previous to his surgery, Pederson had proven himself a top offensive performer. And he was still young. His surgery wasn’t something that should have rung too many alarm bells... it wasn’t knee surgery or anything.

Cam, at that point hadn’t shown much more than Virtanen has. Would you trade him and a 1st for, say, Draisaitl (if he’d missed time last year with a hand injury)?

And no, I wasn’t a fan of the Gudbranson trade from the get go. What had Realgud ever done?