There's life in the old dog yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
There is a pretty simple way of avoiding suspicions of foul play while staying with NHL referees in these tournaments. The NHL just makes sure that there are no Canadian refs when Canada plays, and no Americans when the US play. When US plays Canada, the officiating duties are simply split - or done by europeans (which won't happen). That way, no officials would referee their own countries, which is a rule that as far as I know is upheld in all other major sports tournament. Unfortunately, the NHL is not taking that way.

ZBORNAJA

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
can clearly say that after 1993 team in WC russia never showed any considerable chemistry and heart while canada and other did (there were few flashes but short one )..While we know the reasons for first few years ,now excuses grow thiner and thiner..And i agree with SLAY that all russians fans here dont blame any referees or others and we are quite objective when we analyze things..

The only thing we "whine" is 1987 canada cup games and maybe we wont agree but the only way canadians could win those games were little dirty NHL plays and referee bias...1987 russian team was the best team for me in history chemistry and skill wise..

I give credit to canadians for
1.Mario and Wayne were the best players..
2.They had to play against team that played almost all the time together ...

But Russians played
1.On NHL size rink ,against canadian public and biased referee
2.They played very clean game...(this was time when there was quite obvious difference in style)

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
arrbez said:
my Russian comrades, we've both screwed each other over numerous times with officiating. instead of continuing down this same path, i propose we turn our anger to the real enemy: that American chick who reffed that Canada-USA womens final in the olympics! i would have been on the floor laughing if i wasn't so scared those calls were going to decide the game. in all my years of watching and playing hockey (ok, only 15 or so), that was THE most poorly officiated game i've ever seen

So true!!! :bow: I am not crazy about the womens games but that was the most shoddiest example of reffing I have ever seen. Horrible reffing in that game...

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Van said:
It's called a Collective Bargaining Agreement.

One of the conditions of NHL players going to the Olympics was that in any game where 50% of the players are NHL players, the game must be officiated by NHL officials.

The World Cup is an NHL-sanctioned tournament being played under NHL rules. It only makes sense that NHL officials are used to officiate the tournament.

First of all let me state that I think NHL refs are the best around and fairest.

But there becomes a problem when 100% of the refs in these contests are either US or Canadian. I'm all for having NHL refs always in every tournament imaginable, but gets some european referees in and get them reffing in the AHL and used to north american reffing and then the NHL so they become a part of this group too..

If every tournament for the next 50 years will be reffed by only Americans and Canadians, then there's somethign seriously [insert expletive here] up.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Raimo Sillanpää said:
First of all let me state that I think NHL refs are the best around and fairest.

But there becomes a problem when 100% of the refs in these contests are either US or Canadian. I'm all for having NHL refs always in every tournament imaginable, but gets some european referees in and get them reffing in the AHL and used to north american reffing and then the NHL so they become a part of this group too..

If every tournament for the next 50 years will be reffed by only Americans and Canadians, then there's somethign seriously [insert expletive here] up.
I agree there just has to be a way to get european referees in the top leagues and doing some of the biggest games. The conspiracy theory talk from the russian camp is similar to that of the Italians in soccer. They speak of it because it is what they are used to in their home countries- mafia lurking in the shadows of all the big events, corruption through bribes commonplace. The latest was the conspiracy at the Olympics in the USA/ Russia semi. Russia were so poor for two periods i could not believe what i was seeing, they lost- no evil doers just a poor effort. I would like more European officials if for nothing else- to take away the excuse. I'm tired of it. We Canadians are guilty of it in our own leagues too, crying about favortism of one team or the other- its nonsense. Referees can have bad games like anyone else.

BCCHL inactive

Kronblom said:
But why were there europeans refs in the early Canada Cup's and not now?

CBA's expire and new agreements are made.

The NHL and the NHLPA haven't been working under the same agreement for the last 20 years.

Raimo Sillanpää said:

Honestly, not many European officials would want to go to the NHL if they could. In Europe, with the exception of the Swiss league, officiating is a hobby. All the officials have day jobs (other than officiating), and many also have families to support. It's not an easy decision to uproot your life and move it halfway around the world for a job you are not guaranteed to have for more than one year...especially with the United States' tighter regulations on getting a work visa.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Van said:
CBA's expire and new agreements are made.

The NHL and the NHLPA haven't been working under the same agreement for the last 20 years.
But why did they agree on not having europeans refs?

Van said:
Honestly, not many European officials would want to go to the NHL if they could. In Europe, with the exception of the Swiss league, officiating is a hobby. All the officials have day jobs (other than officiating), and many also have families to support. It's not an easy decision to uproot your life and move it halfway around the world for a job you are not guaranteed to have for more than one year...especially with the United States' tighter regulations on getting a work visa.
I think you may be wrong there actually. If you asked every referee in Sweden if they wanted to ref in the NHL they would most likely say Yes. We see players and coaches from Europe, why not referees? I´m convinced that I will see a european referee in the NHL before I die.

Players that left Europe in the early 80s weren´t exactly proffesionals back home, but they left their jobs and moved their family halfway around the world. Leaving the job for a year or more is not an issue, you can do that in Sweden but still keep your job. Be on leave - is that the right expression?

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Macman said:
No evil conspiracies, folk, just plain stupidity.

You shouldn't say plain stupidity. That stupidity is the best coach of all times and he did what no one ever will again!

Macman

May 15, 2004
TORRUS said:
You shouldn't say plain stupidity. That stupidity is the best coach of all times and he did what no one ever will again!

Yeah, he's so great Larionov lobbied to have Scotty Bowman coach the Russians at the World Cup. He's so great Russian players run screaming in the other direction whenever he's picked as coach. The greatest coach of all time wouldn't have made the kind of boneheaded rookie mistake Tikhonov made in the '87 final.

BCCHL inactive

Kronblom said:
But why did they agree on not having europeans refs?

I don't think there is a rule set in stone on no European officials. That being said, Hockey Canada and USA Hockey have very strong officiating programs meant to develop their top officials for the NHL. The only way a guy from Europe would get a job over a guy in North America is if he would be far and away the best referee the NHL would have. With no European league coming close to the calibre of NHL hockey, that is something that is near impossible to judge without actually hiring him for an NHL season.

Officiating is a different world from playing. You don't see Canadian or American referees going to get jobs in European leagues. The NHL is a North American league. North American officials should be getting the jobs.

Kronblom said:
I think you may be wrong there actually. If you asked every referee in Sweden if they wanted to ref in the NHL they would most likely say Yes. We see players and coaches from Europe, why not referees? I´m convinced that I will see a european referee in the NHL before I die.

I think eventually we will too, but it won't be a regular happening.

I have read several interviews with European officials. When asked about their goals as officials, the NHL is rarely mentioned in the answer. European officials top goals are usually tournaments like the World Championships and the Olympics.

Personally, I don't think a European referee could do well in the NHL. The styles of officiating are too different. You see how tough of a time Canadian and American teams have when they play international games with European referees. It's not a fault on the referee, but that is how games are called in Europe, and it is not how games are called in North America.

I would be more accepting to the idea if the European referee wanting an NHL job would start in Canadian Junior or US College hockey to get used to the North American game, and develop from there.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Ya, I would have zero problems having a Euro ref in the NHL, in fact, as said, it seems inevtiable. However, if he wants to ref in a North American league (NHL) then he needs to learn to ref that style. Which means, yes, he'd have to come over for several years and work the junior ranks, then the minor pro, then maybe get a shot at the NHL.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Van said:
I would be more accepting to the idea if the European referee wanting an NHL job would start in Canadian Junior or US College hockey to get used to the North American game, and develop from there.
I was thinking the same thing, that would probably be the only way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad