Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Alexander Barabanov to 1 year ELC

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Both of them, not just Matthews

that’s not how those % work though? If you add Matthews and JT ozone starts together it’s 112% obviously you can’t have more ozone starts in a game than 100%

ozone starts are relative to the player themselves ie: Matthews starts 59% ozone and 41% dzone

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
They'll have to move out Johnsson eventually because they overpaid Marner by $3M/ year. That still ticks me off.

I get your point about the marner being overpaid, I think it’s closer to $2m personally, but AJ is not that great a player and actually maybe overpaid a bit himself. I’m happy to move AJ while he still has value even if marner was on his elc

nofehr

Dec 17, 2012
that’s not how those % work though? If you add Matthews and JT ozone starts together it’s 112% obviously you can’t have more ozone starts in a game than 100%

ozone starts are relative to the player themselves ie: Matthews starts 59% ozone and 41% dzone
No, he's saying that 90% of the time the Leafs have an O-zone start, it's the Matthews or Tavares line out there. In other words, the 3rd and 4th lines aren't getting o-zone starts.
That's the way I understood it anyways.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
No, he's saying that 90% of the time the Leafs have an O-zone start, it's the Matthews or Tavares line out there. In other words, the 3rd and 4th lines aren't getting o-zone starts.
That’s exactly what I meant

selltrade

Sep 20, 2005
Toronto
www.selltradememorabilia.com
I believe Barbanov is good enough to play on the 3rd line at least. You'll have Hyman and Mikeyev in the top 6 as our LW and then Barbanov and Engvall are battling for the 3rd line LW spot imo. Our LW depth could potentially end up being this:

Hyman
Mikheyev
Engvall
Barbanov

With Korshkov in the minors possibly being ready next season too. Paying Johnsson 3.6 or 3.4 or whatever he's getting for the same production we can get from someone much cheaper just seems likes bad asset management imo, especially when other teams with less depth could probably use him in their top 6.
I see Engvall as 3rd line center and bye bye Kerfoot.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

but if that where the case then Gauthier’s ozone starts would be way lower than 29%, the lowest in the team by quite a long margin in fact the rest are in the 40s for %. this is for all players who played at least 40 games. If you lower it to 39 games you can add timashov at 32%. All other forwards are minimum 43% ozone starts that is 11 forwards who played 39 or more games out of 70 games have at least 43% ozone starts

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I get your point about the marner being overpaid, I think it’s closer to $2m personally, but AJ is not that great a player and actually maybe overpaid a bit himself. I’m happy to move AJ while he still has value even if marner was on his elc

not very often are you going to find 45 point players willing to take less than 3 million. I think we will find that this is quite a good contract over the next few years, especially if he can make this into 50+ point seasons. If you look at players in the 40-50 point area of 2018-19 (and there are a lot of them) the only ones making less than johnsson are guys on ELC or guys like Brett Connolly who was really needing to take a cheap contract to prove himself in that point of his career. And kapanen). Pretty much everyone else is getting more mostly between 3.5-6m

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs News: Latest on pursuit of Alex Barabanov, contract negotiations with Ilya Mikheyev

On the NHL sweepstakes for Alexander Barabanov’s services:

He has narrowed his search down to two teams. The cat is out of the bag: It’s the Arizona Coyotes and the Toronto Maple Leafs. I would like to thank both of the organizations; they have been first class over the last three years talking to Alexander. Mike Babcock, when he was still the head coach, made the trip to Russia to see him. Kyle Dubas and John Chayka have been to Russia numerous times to watch him and have meetings over the last two years. It has been a long process. This past week, we have had numerous FaceTime conversations with not only the General Managers but the head coaches. The owners of the teams were on the call making the final pitch to Alex and his wife to select their team.

On how close Barabanov is to a final decision:

We are very close. We are down to the final stretch. He has obviously had plenty of time over the years to communicate with a number of teams. If you recall at the Worlds in May of last year, he played with Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Kuznetsov on the same line. He has had plenty of opportunities to play with and against NHL players over the years. He has had plenty of time to speak to teams. I am hopeful that over the next couple of days — maybe a week or so — he will narrow it down to one team and will enter into contract negotiations, which I don’t expect to last more than five minutes because Alex will be signing a one-year entry-level contract.

CEO of Gold Star Hockey & NHLPA Certified Player Agent Dan Milstein representing Maple Leaf Ilya Mikheyev and SKA Saint Petersburg's Alexander Barabanov joined Josh Goldberg and Sho Alli to chat about how he has be dealing with COVID-19 pandemic, how Maple Leaf Ilya Mikheyev has been recovering from his injury and the status of Alexander Barabanov coming to the NHL.

https://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-5/dan_milstein_on_sn_today.mp3

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Toronto Maple Leafs News: Latest on pursuit of Alex Barabanov, contract negotiations with Ilya Mikheyev

On the NHL sweepstakes for Alexander Barabanov’s services:

He has narrowed his search down to two teams. The cat is out of the bag: It’s the Arizona Coyotes and the Toronto Maple Leafs. I would like to thank both of the organizations; they have been first class over the last three years talking to Alexander. Mike Babcock, when he was still the head coach, made the trip to Russia to see him. Kyle Dubas and John Chayka have been to Russia numerous times to watch him and have meetings over the last two years. It has been a long process. This past week, we have had numerous FaceTime conversations with not only the General Managers but the head coaches. The owners of the teams were on the call making the final pitch to Alex and his wife to select their team.

On how close Barabanov is to a final decision:

We are very close. We are down to the final stretch. He has obviously had plenty of time over the years to communicate with a number of teams. If you recall at the Worlds in May of last year, he played with Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Kuznetsov on the same line. He has had plenty of opportunities to play with and against NHL players over the years. He has had plenty of time to speak to teams. I am hopeful that over the next couple of days — maybe a week or so — he will narrow it down to one team and will enter into contract negotiations, which I don’t expect to last more than five minutes because Alex will be signing a one-year entry-level contract.

CEO of Gold Star Hockey & NHLPA Certified Player Agent Dan Milstein representing Maple Leaf Ilya Mikheyev and SKA Saint Petersburg's Alexander Barabanov joined Josh Goldberg and Sho Alli to chat about how he has be dealing with COVID-19 pandemic, how Maple Leaf Ilya Mikheyev has been recovering from his injury and the status of Alexander Barabanov coming to the NHL.

https://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-5/dan_milstein_on_sn_today.mp3
That's different news than what the clownface Dreger stated a few weeks ago. Someone tweeted Leafs and Coyotes being the finalists and Dreger had to come over the top to say that there are "20+ teams involved".

Okay Darren.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That's different news than what the clownface Dreger stated a few weeks ago. Someone tweeted Leafs and Coyotes being the finalists and Dreger had to come over the top to say that there are "20+ teams involved".

Okay Darren.
Perhaps things changed from a 'few weeks ago'?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It doesn't seem so. Seems it's still Leafs and Coyotes as was initially reported.

Hmm..
I guess I misunderstood, thought you meant '20 + teams' reported a 'few weeks ago' and now it's down to 2.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I would agree that AJ and his $3.5 million will likely be on the way out if he signs with us. I like Engvall but he didn't show me 3 Rd line C last year. I doubt it's Kerfoot unless the piece coming back is decent. Dubas won't want Kadri egg on his face.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I would agree that AJ and his $3.5 million will likely be on the way out if he signs with us. I like Engvall but he didn't show me 3 Rd line C last year. I doubt it's Kerfoot unless the piece coming back is decent. Dubas won't want Kadri egg on his face.
If we can download AJ and Kerfoot maybe we can truly add to our defense to make us a better team. But totally get your point about egg on face. I am hoping Dubie can get beyond his ego. Sometimes bad trades happen. He will not be da first or da last.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Dan Millstein stated that Barabanov is close to deciding and it is indeed between Toronto and Arizona.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I don't think so... all of Dreger's "reports" involve facts that everyone already knows... except for the stuff that he just makes up that is.
Strange that someone that is apparently thought so little of, is constantly being used as a source of information.

How do we tell the difference between what 'he just makes up' and what is real?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Pretty simple. If his mouth is moving and sounds are coming out, he's making it up.
Strange that someone that is apparently thought so little of, is constantly being used as a source of information.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad