Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Alexander Barabanov to 1 year ELC

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
RW1 Willy
RW2 Mitch
RW3 Kappy
RW4 ??? (I would prefer to see a guy who can PK, block shots, hit, forecheck, fight on boards and skate)

This is another guy who really likely won't fit in here ... unless there is a trade made which i doubt as our right side is rock solid right now maybe best in entire league

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
RW1 Willy
RW2 Mitch
RW3 Kappy
RW4 ??? (I would prefer to see a guy who can PK, block shots, hit, forecheck, fight on boards and skate)

This is another guy who really likely won't fit in here ... unless there is a trade made which i doubt as our right side is rock solid right now maybe best in entire league

Maybe a trade, maybe depth... Mitch and/or WIlly get season ending injuries, how does that Right side look then? Always look to make your club better.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
RW1 Willy
RW2 Mitch
RW3 Kappy

Nylander and Kapanen can play on the left if needs be, if he's good enough we can make him fit, especially if he's a similar celebre player to Mikheyev

For large portions of this season we didn't even have a functioning 3rd line so I think adding top 9 talent, no matter which side they shoot is a solid plan right now

I can't believe we'd be front runners. A lot moving parts for him to be a leaf no?

Toronto is a very cosmopolitan city that a Russian speaker wouldn't be shy about living in and the Leafs are a world class organization that will move heaven and earth to make him comfortable and surround him with people that speak his language

We're also a team that will give him plenty of opportunity if he deserves it, just ask Zaitsev and Mikheyev

I think we're a good chance, Russian UFA'S look at the organization very favorably

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Why would TOR punt Johnsson (proven NHLer) for an unknown? Is he really that good?

Because we need to move salary out? We can't afford to keep everybody

3.5M 3rd liners become trade candidates pretty quickly looking down our roster, Kerfoot and Kapanen would also be candidates but Kapanen is better imo and Kerfoot plays center so I'd lean Johnsson

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Why would TOR punt Johnsson (proven NHLer) for an unknown? Is he really that good?

I believe Barbanov is good enough to play on the 3rd line at least. You'll have Hyman and Mikeyev in the top 6 as our LW and then Barbanov and Engvall are battling for the 3rd line LW spot imo. Our LW depth could potentially end up being this:

Hyman
Mikheyev
Engvall
Barbanov

With Korshkov in the minors possibly being ready next season too. Paying Johnsson 3.6 or 3.4 or whatever he's getting for the same production we can get from someone much cheaper just seems likes bad asset management imo, especially when other teams with less depth could probably use him in their top 6.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I believe Barbanov is good enough to play on the 3rd line at least. You'll have Hyman and Mikeyev in the top 6 as our LW and then Barbanov and Engvall are battling for the 3rd line LW spot imo. Our LW depth could potentially end up being this:

Hyman
Mikheyev
Engvall
Barbanov

With Korshkov in the minors possibly being ready next season too. Paying Johnsson 3.6 or 3.4 or whatever he's getting for the same production we can get from someone much cheaper just seems likes bad asset management imo, especially when other teams with less depth could probably use him in their top 6.

I highly doubt anyone else is coming in and getting 40-50 points from the third line.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Maybe it is due to the current roster but the way Keefe uses AM and JT Lines in Ozone starts like 90% of the time, Leafs really should go with top 6 and bottom 6, where bottom 6 just focus on D.
Then again, maybe Keefe and Dubas want to build 3 lines that can score with a crash and bang 4th line.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Maybe it is due to the current roster but the way Keefe uses AM and JT Lines in Ozone starts like 90% of the time, Leafs really should go with top 6 and bottom 6, where bottom 6 just focus on D.
Then again, maybe Keefe and Dubas want to build 3 lines that can score with a crash and bang 4th line.

59 percent O zone starts for Matthews this year but sure 90 is close...

Reactions: smitty10

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
This makes zero sense unless he is playing with the Marlies or the plan is to move Nylander to 3C.

Look I get it, adding a prize free agent for nothing is great for any team but RW is not a position of need as I see it. Nylander hasn’t played C for the most part his entire NHL career. Our team aspirations are for a SC. Going into a season with a questionable 3C when those expectations are that high is not a smart move IMO. You create undue pressure on Nylander and that whole third line. I guess time will tell.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Because we need to move salary out? We can't afford to keep everybody

3.5M 3rd liners become trade candidates pretty quickly looking down our roster, Kerfoot and Kapanen would also be candidates but Kapanen is better imo and Kerfoot plays center so I'd lean Johnsson

It's possible. Sadly Johnsson ended the season on an bad injury. I don't know how much value they'll get for him in a trade.

If Barb and AJ are equal in ability, but Barb is cheaper then I'm not sure it still happens. You can wish it, but I still think Dubas has to juggle many things for this to happen.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It's possible. Sadly Johnsson ended the season on an bad injury. I don't know how much value they'll get for him in a trade.

If Barb and AJ are equal in ability, but Barb is cheaper then I'm not sure it still happens. You can wish it, but I still think Dubas has to juggle many things for this to happen.
Mik Matty Willy
Hyman Tavares Marner (SWITCH IT UP HOWEVER YOU WANT)
??? Sissons Kappy
Clifford Engval ???
Spezza

Time for Kerfoot AJ Goat Malgin to all go bye bye. AJ may have to stay for a while next season to prove he can play again.
Bring in Sissons via trade with Kerfoot +++ (but no picks) and he will help.
If Barb at same level as Mik then he can replace AJ cheaper.
Still need another guy on RW to form da banger line. Should be easy to get.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Mik Matty Willy
Hyman Tavares Marner (SWITCH IT UP HOWEVER YOU WANT)
??? Sissons Kappy
Clifford Engval ???
Spezza

Time for Kerfoot AJ Goat Malgin to all go bye bye. AJ may have to stay for a while next season to prove he can play again.
Bring in Sissons via trade with Kerfoot +++ (but no picks) and he will help.
If Barb at same level as Mik then he can replace AJ cheaper.
Still need another guy on RW to form da banger line. Should be easy to get.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I like the look of him, has great edges and has some grit and goes to the front of the net.

I will say. I miss the grittiness and edgy play of our former players, Yuschevich, Markov and Komarov. When Yuschevich and Markov were on the backend this team had some bite. He just might be a Jonsson replacement and lastly. Dubas needs to add some bodies because in my mind, he has done poor with asset management last couple of years.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I like the look of him, has great edges and has some grit and goes to the front of the net.

I will say. I miss the grittiness and edgy play of our former players, Yuschevich, Markov and Komarov. When Yuschevich and Markov were on the backend this team had some bite. He just might be a Jonsson replacement and lastly. Dubas needs to add some bodies because in my mind, he has done poor with asset management last couple of years.
The things I would do to have Danny Markov on this team.

Reactions: daveleaf

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
They'll have to move out Johnsson eventually because they overpaid Marner by $3M/ year. That still ticks me off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->