Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Alexander Barabanov to 1 year ELC

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs need to be constantly on the lookout for these kind of players, but given their current weaknesses they also need to be investing heavily on defensemen and goalies too, as well as looking at center options that can play up and down the wing.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Cool. Sounds like Trevor Moore with better dangles.
I love the Euro UFA market; add some more please.
Lots of interesting names on that list. Okulov conspicuous by his absence.

Heard others say this, vis-a-vis Moore.

Think of it, as the Oil did last season, with Nygard and Haas.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Cool. Sounds like Trevor Moore with better dangles.
I love the Euro UFA market; add some more please.
Lots of interesting names on that list. Okulov conspicuous by his absence.

Heard others say this, vis-a-vis Moore.

Think of it, as the Oil did last season, with Nygard and Haas.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Compares pretty good and I actually like him even more, but I still somehow doubt that the Leafs will be the team he signs for.
Is this because other teams will be able to offer more money or do you think he just doesn't want to play in Toronto?

Are Eronko's sources off?

Spencer White

Dec 24, 2019
Is this because other teams will be able to offer more money or do you think he just doesn't want to play in Toronto?

Money IMO, doesn't need an ELC

Believe LA was rumoured to be willing to pay 2.5 mill for Nesterov

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Seems like an AHL signing tbh, but sometimes guys surprise after coming over.
Even if he has potential ... it will be ruined just like Zaitsev. He had always been a offensive D, but Babcock managed to crush him and try to mold him into something totally different when he was 24!!! If he had been given the freedom Barry gets - he would have flourished!!!

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

His sources are fine, but according to Dregehr there are 20 other teams that would like to sign him. As about my doubts, I'm pretty sure that Barabanov will be looking for a guaranteed Top9 RW NHL roster spot and I'm not sure that the Leafs will be able to offer him that.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
His sources are fine, but according to Dregehr there are 20 other teams that would like to sign him. As about my doubts, I'm pretty sure that Barabanov will be looking for a guaranteed Top9 RW NHL roster spot and I'm not sure that the Leafs will be able to offer him that.

Has he played the left much / at all?

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Can he play on the LW or is he a RW that doesn't swap sides?

If Barabanov is good enough I wouldn't be shocked if we swapped Kapanen to the left and played Barabanov on the right, that's the "trade Johnsson plan"

Or we just trade Kapanen outright and have a hole to fill on the right side of the 3rd line, thats the "trade Kapanen plan"

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Has he played the left much / at all?

I can't really remember, although Mikheyev also didn't, but was fine there eventually.

Still even if we take LWs into consideration as well, I think that the Coyotes still will be able to give him more guarantees (and since he can't be offered more than the ELC, it will likely be the main criteria).

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I can't really remember, although Mikheyev also didn't, but was fine there eventually.

Still even if we take LWs into consideration as well, I think that the Coyotes still will be able to give him more guarantees (and since he can't be offered more than the ELC, it will likely be the main criteria).

More guarantee maybe, but not near the ego play. Assuming Johnsson is traded it would leave Barabanov with only Engvall to beat out out for a top 9 spot, and only Mikheyev to get ice time with one of the big lines.

member 300185

There is Crosby in Pittsburgh - he under six feet,Maker in Colorado is under 6 feet Patrick Kane under 6 feet Johnny Gaudreau there are probably more.
Crosby is 5'11 and 3/4. Can't get much closer to 6 feet but I get your point. The leagues has been filled with superstar players that were short and small forwards a plenty. Pavel Bure, Theoren Fleury, Doug Gilmour, Wendel Clark, Nathan Gerbe, Darren Pang, Henri Richard, Maurice Richard, Yvan Cournoyer, Brian Gionta, Alex Dubrincat, Marcel Dionne, Ted Lindsay, Martin St Louis and Brad Marchand. Thats all I can think of now but there are easily over 100 players in the NHL under 6 ft.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
Even if he has potential ... it will be ruined just like Zaitsev. He had always been a offensive D, but Babcock managed to crush him and try to mold him into something totally different when he was 24!!! If he had been given the freedom Barry gets - he would have flourished!!!
ummm huh Babcock doesnt coach the team anymore ... even if he was to "ruin a player"
He probably didnt help a guy like Zaitsev while here but Zaitsev isnt exactly showing his "offensive prowess" in Ottawa. There wasnt much to ruin with Nikita, he's a bottom pairing D no matter what nhl coach he had

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
ummm huh Babcock doesnt coach the team anymore ... even if he was to "ruin a player"
He probably didnt help a guy like Zaitsev while here but Zaitsev isnt exactly showing his "offensive prowess" in Ottawa. There wasnt much to ruin with Nikita, he's a bottom pairing D no matter what nhl coach he had
Not really sure ... I watched his games in CSKA Moscow ... he was shinning, dude! The soul of the D corps ... a star! Babcock took his soul, seriously. He was just never the same player after Babcock. He will continue to regress. It's one of those time machine dilemmas ... I truly want to see what would have happened if he had come to the NHL and played for a different coach ... maybe he still sucks in the end ... but he had so much potential!!!

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014

I think this past season showed how thin we are depth wise on the 3rd/4th lines. Malgin, Engvall (brings a lot but his scoring absolutely dried up to completely nothing), Goat, Aberg, Brooks, Petan, Marchment, Moore, Timashov, Shore, Korshkov etc all brings some nice things and are decent but also showed how easily we can improve on them and how they can get beat out by other players.

Arizona will have Fischer, Crouse, Hino, Garland, Hayton, Grabner, competing for spots.

Our bottom 6 was quite an issue once injuries hit, I don't think our depth pieces are all that great.

Plus, I don't think many would be surprised to see a forward or 2 moved out to potentially add to the blueline (ahem - Johnsson, Kapenen, Kerfoot)

But ya, we'll see what happens, hopefully he chooses us.

Reactions: supermann_98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->