theredmile's 1st 2006 Mock (1 Round...for now)

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Okay here is my 1st round mock for the upcoming draft. Now I'm sure most of you are going to disagree with me on a lot of these picks, but I think we will all be in for a few shocks come draft day. I have not added any trades because its just too difficult at this point.
1. St. Louis Blues: Erik Johnson D
The Blues can either take Johnson who has emerged as the favorite for the top spot, trade back to #2, #4, #6 or possibly even #7 in which case Johnson would still be the top pick, or the Blues could grab one of these three forwards with the top pick; Staal, Backstrom or Toews
2. Pittsburgh Penguins: Kyle Okposo RW
Here's the first big shocker of the draft. The Pens pass on some of the bigger name guys and go with the budding power forward who is headed to the University of Minnesota. He could form a deadly duo with either Crosby or Malkin. The Pens may also try to move up and grab Johnson or if the Blues happen to pass on the big dman the Pens would waste no time making him the pick at #2.
3. Chicago Blackhawks: Jordan Staal C
Expect the Blackhawks to select either Staal or Toews depending on which is available at their pick.
4. Washington Capitals: Nicklas Backstrom C
The Caps could use a top center to team up with Ovechkin and are in a great position to do just that. Backstrom is perhaps the most NHL ready prospect in the draft and would be a great set up man for the Caps. Toews would also be a strong pick here also.
5. Boston Bruins: Jonathan Toews C
The Bruins like the Caps in front of them could use a top 2 center and will have their pick from a group that includes Toews, Kessel and Mueller. Toews versatility and mature game make him the safest pick here provided he is still on the board. If Okposo is still available he may be tough to pass on at this spot.
6. Columbus Blue Jackets: Peter Mueller C
The Jackets have some great young wingers but outside of Gilbert Brule they lack any big time centers. Mueller is a solid 2way player with great playmaking skills who would fit in well with the Jackets other young forwards.
7. New York Islanders: Phil Kessel C
I know I'll take some heat for allowing Kessel to drop this far but if Okposo goes in the top 5 as I expect he will then someone is going to fall a little and I have a feeling it may be Kessel. While the Islanders have done a great job of drafting solid 2way forwards, outside of Nilsson they lack a true offensive gamebreaker which Kessel could eventually become for them.
8. Phoenix Coyotes: Derrick Brassard C
The Coyotes would love for Kessel to drop one more spot, but if both he and Mueller are indeed gone then they will have to settle for either Brassard or Little. I would bive Brassard a slight edge but would not be suprised if Little was the pick on draft day...for now though I think they go with Brassard.
9. Minnesota Wild: Michael Frolik RW
Although Frolik has fallen from a potential #1 overall pick I still think someone will take a chance on him in the top 10. Minnesota needs to increase their offensive potential and if Marion Gaborik moves on they will need to find someone to replace what he brings to the table. If he pans out Frolik could be a dynamic scorer. A wildcard at this point could be defenceman David Fischer.
10. Florida Panthers: James Sheppard LW
If Frolik gets past the Wild I expect him to go here but since he is not the Panthers go with one of the safest picks in the draft. Worst case Sheppard turns into a solid 3rd or 4th line checking winger but he also could develop into a 1st line power forward who can score the tough goals.
11. Los Angeles Kings: David Fischer D
Here's my second big suprise. If none of the top end forwards drop to this spot the Kings who are lacking in defence prospects decide to roll the dice on the high school defenceman who could potentially be the franchise defenceman they have been missing since trading Rob Blake
12. Atlanta Thrashers: Bryan Little C
The Thrashers would be very happy to see Bryan Little on the board at this point. Another option would be James Sheppard if he were to still be on the board.
13. Toronto Maple Leafs: Patrick Berglund C
The Leafs are another team that would love for one of the top forwards to fall but I just don't see it happening. That means they will be picking from a group of players including Berglund, Stewart and Tlusty. I think they go with the big Swedish center who could develop into a top line center.
14. Vancouver Canucks: Nigel Williams D
The Canucks could use a top notch forward in the system but the potential of Williams may be too much to pass on here. If they do go for a forward look for them to grab either Stewart or Tlusty.
15. Tampa Bay Lightning: Jonathan Bernier G
Tampa needs to develop a #1 goalie and although they have a couple decent prospects in the system at the position the chance to add the drafts top goalie may be too much to pass on.
16. Montreal Canadians: Ty Wishart D
The Habs have added some high end forwards and goaltending in the last couple drafts and will probably look at the blueline at this point in the draft especially since most of the top forwards are gone. The question is whether they go with the defensive guy in Wishart or a more offensive guy like Sanguinetti or Vishnevsky. I think they'll go with the big stay at home guy.
17. Minnesota Wild: Bobby Sanguinetti D
After grabbing a potential scorer with their 1st pick the Wild go with an offensive dman with their 2nd 1st round pick. Sanguinetti would provide great value at this point in the 1st round and would add to the Wilds future on defence.
18. Colorado Avalanche: Jiri Tlusty LW
The Avs would be very happy to grab a potential top 10 pick at this point in the draft especially one that could provide them with some offensive spark up front.
19. Anahiem Mighty Ducks: Riku Helenius G
This may be seen as a suprise to some but the Ducks are probably going to lose one of their two big league goalies and could use a young blue chipper in the system. After his solid U18's Helenius would be a solid pick at this point.
20. San Jose Sharks: Chris Stewart RW
After showing up to the combine a little overweight Stewart may drop a bit in this draft. The Sharks lucked out with a similar guy in Steve Bernier so they can only hope they have the same success with Stewart. Stewart is too hard to pass on at this point in the draft.
21. New York Rangers: Ryan White C
The Rangers could go in a lot of different directions with this pick but could do a lot worse than picking up this gritty 2way forward from the Western league.
22. Philadelphia Flyers: Ivan Vishnevsky D
The Flyers have a few too many big slow defenceman for the new NHL and adding a smooth skating offensive Dman would be a good thing for the organization.
23. Washington Capitals: Leland Irving G
The Caps are another team who needs a goalie of the future. After adding a top offensive player early in the draft the Caps can turn their focus to the net where Irving could be the guy to eventually replace Ollie the Goalie.
24. Buffalo Sabres: Chris Summers D
The Sabres need to add some blueliners to their prospect stable and in my opinion Summers is that guy.
25. New Jersey Devils: Derrick Lapointe D
Over the years the Devils have shown that they are not afraid to take chances in the 1st round and taking the big high school dman would be a suprise to some.
26. Calgary Flames: Ben Maxwell C
The Flames need more scorers in their system and Maxwell is a highly skilled player. He played very good for the U18 team and because of that he should have a spot in round 1.
27. Dallas Stars: Michael Forney LW
Forney has battled some injuries this year but his potential is very high. I think they may also look at Jesse Joensuu at this spot but in the end Forney and his higher offensive potential will win out.
28. Ottawa Senators: Mark Mitera D
The Sens will likely go with the BPA at this point, but with the uncertainty surrounding their blueline they may lean to that position and the stay at home Mitera would be a safe pick.
29. Detroit Red Wings: Ondrej Fiala C
A good 2way forward with some offensive potenti.al who could develop into a 2nd or 3rd liner
30. St. Louis Blues: Cory Emmerton C
After adding a potential franchise Dman with the top pick the Blues go for a highly skilled center who could be a top 2 line center or career minor leaguer. Worth the risk at this point in the draft.

Well there it is...fire away

Corona-12

May 17, 2006
BC, Canada
Ya Okposo going 2 would be a shocker. You don't think the Pens would trade down to get him? Considering how little compeition he has played against I find it very hard to see him going number 2. Do you have a thing for high-schoolers? This is the highest I have seen Fischer. But good draft, those are deffinitly surprises!

Safir*

Why is Okposo jumping the rankings? At first he was penciled in from 8-14, later to Minny at 9, now Top5 and even Top3. :dunno:

KH1

Kärppä32 said:
Why is Okposo jumping the rankings? At first he was penciled in from 8-14, later to Minny at 9, now Top5 and even Top3. :dunno:
It's that same old song and dance. Okposo is a big power forward who if he pans out could be the next dominating force in the NHL. Potential rules the draft; that's why people like Okposo are ahead of people like Little (just for the record I would take Okposo before Little as well.)

I can see Okposo going as high as #5 or #6 but not to #2. Gutsy mock though.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Very interesting mock. Well done. I just don't see teams like the Leafs and Canucks leaving Tlusty fall that far.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
I like this mock. Its a bit riskier and that's good. I think that this draft is going to be very unpredictable with a few surprises and a number of guys falling farther than people think they will.

Transported Upstater

Well, I give you credit for taking risks.

But I'd be pissed if Toronto takes Berglund with Tlusty on the board.

Boston

Captain Chara
Oct 3, 2005
Acording to somebody on the Bruins board that knows a lot about prospects and has talked to some of them etc. said that Okposo really impressed him when they talked. He also said he knows of two GMs that have him at #2.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If Kessel falls down to the Islanders i will be a happy boy. My guess is Johnson will be picked 1 or 2 and Kessel, Toews, Staal and Backstrom will be drafted top 6(you might have 1 guy sneak into the top 5 other then those guys but not 2).

If that happens i actually wouldn't mind the Islanders offering there pick to teams picking 9-12 to see what they will offer to move up.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Corona-12 said:
Ya Okposo going 2 would be a shocker. You don't think the Pens would trade down to get him? Considering how little compeition he has played against I find it very hard to see him going number 2. Do you have a thing for high-schoolers? This is the highest I have seen Fischer. But good draft, those are deffinitly surprises!
I think it could be a situation like the Coyotes and Wheeler...they might not want to risk trading down and having him go before they get a chance to pick him. No I don't have a thing for high schoolers actually I would never take a high school guy over an established major junior player but looking at how the last couple of drafts have gone I can see a guy like Fischer going a lot higher than the rankings or most of us would think. I could be totally wrong on both of these picks but I have a strong feeling Okposo goes top 5 at worst and Fisher is gone by the 18th pick at the latest.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
TransportedUpstater said:
Well, I give you credit for taking risks.

But I'd be pissed if Toronto takes Berglund with Tlusty on the board.
Personally I think Tsulty is a tad overrated and I think if Berglund pans out he could be a very very good player in the league. I do agree with you that Tsulty could be the pick here or even to Vancouver at 14.

Transported Upstater

theredmile said:
Personally I think Tsulty is a tad overrated and I think if Berglund pans out he could be a very very good player in the league. I do agree with you that Tsulty could be the pick here or even to Vancouver at 14.

Honestly though, I give you credit for producing a unique mock so far.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Very, very interesting read. At least, you're taking some risks but not so much... all choices are very strong possibilities after all.
LaPoint to the Devils is very possible, they have the history of this kind of pick.

Thank you for this very intriguing work, I think a lot of people will think about it in june... :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad