There will be no draft until CBA is signrd ESPN reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

acr*

I'd like to see a big huge lottery, but that's unfair to the bad teams who would've finished near the bottom had there been a season, and if the Leafs get inthe top ten, everybody in the eastern conference will cry rigged

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Jayhorns said:

Why is it sad? 90% of the drafted players return to their current teams in their draft year. Less than 5% make it to the NHL in their draft year.

What are you missing? Your teams draftee? Rating steals/no steals on this board. Busts and comparing stats, etc....

No draft, one extra year of development for the players = shorter time to make it to NHL if they get that far.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
blitzkriegs said:
Why is it sad? 90% of the drafted players return to their current teams in their draft year. Less than 5% make it to the NHL in their draft year.

What are you missing? Your teams draftee? Rating steals/no steals on this board. Busts and comparing stats, etc....

No draft, one extra year of development for the players = shorter time to make it to NHL if they get that far.

i completely agree

The ONLY logical solution is for there to be no draft. There is no fair way of working out who gets the #1 pick, especially since whoever gets it gets Crosby, and IMO, it will do no harm at all raising the draft age to 19 anyway.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I've been wondering about how they'll do the draft if there's no season for a while now, and the best idea I've been able to come up with is this:

In the new CBA, bump the draft eligible age up by a year and then just hold the draft as usual at the end of next season. Hockey has one of the youngest ages for draft eligibility in pro sports, especially seeing that it's a sport where a lot of players take a while to develop. It'll be unfortunate that we have to wait an extra year to see phenoms that are ready for the NHL at age 18 (players like Kovalchuk, Crosby, Ovechkin, etc) but those players are few and far between, and once we get used to the extra year, no one will notice it. Plus, an extra year of development can't hurt.

This way, no team gets screwed by a leaguewide lottery, even a weighted one, and no team gets doubly rewarded for their poor season. The draft will just continue as close to normal as possible.

Of course, if it takes two seasons to resolve the lockout, this won't really work either, but I'm really hoping that doesn't happen.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Rowley Birkin said:
i completely agree

The ONLY logical solution is for there to be no draft. There is no fair way of working out who gets the #1 pick, especially since whoever gets it gets Crosby, and IMO, it will do no harm at all raising the draft age to 19 anyway.

Crosby can still go to Europe and get paid good $$. No rush to play in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->