there should be a new thread every night about offsides

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
you probably don't participate in a lot of game day threads here at hf?

Why does that matter? Because people are immediately typing in a box? Doesnt mean they are still cheering in their basement or where ever they are sitting while watching the game.

There's no way I'm watching Connor McDavid torch some fools and then immediately saying, "wait cant react, need to be disciplined in case there is an offside, that way I wont be disappointed..."

Doesn't even make sense...GDTs have nothing to do with cheering. Unless you live vicariously through the GDT, and can only react online.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
running red lights is a safety concern right? if you are due at work 15 mins before your shift and you get there at 14 mins and 45 seconds should you be disciplined?

if offside was a safety concern you could compare it to your red light example

but I say its more like cooking... if a recipe calls for 3 shakes of salt and you put in 4... its not grounds for throwing the soup in the trash. that extra shake of salt probably wont be noticeable. it wont really effect your soup. most offside reviews had almost zero impact on the goal being scored

and the people being screwed? its the same people paying the nhl 3-4 billion dollars a year to be entertained
It's certainly a downer when all these offsides calls are reviewed when challenged after a team scores. The crowd cheers and then the momentum is ruined when it's called a no goal. I get that. I also understand your argument. And yes in many cases these offsides have no effect on the play itself. I just don't see how the league can overlook the rule itself.

JMecc

Oct 19, 2011
Edmonton
I'm not addressing the whole question about whether or not we should have this replay, but the part about how no advantage is gained by being a few inches over - then why do players do it all the time? It's a big negative to get goals potentially taken away but pros take the chance constantly when there is zero advantage? No chance that's true.

Reactions: 2Pair

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Rules aren't designed to make fans happy. When an offside goes against my team I hate it. When it goes against the other team I'm all for it. Which is why I'm a great fan and a lousy official

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Just make it like soccer where the imaginery offside line exists if you jump ahead of the defenders before the puck. Imagine the excitement?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
When it's a mm offside that's where it really frustrates me. Outside of that if it's pretty easy to spot, it's offside and I'm fine with it.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
About what? That it’s spelt “offside” not “offsides”?

I offside is spelled offside... and it wouldn't merit a thread
but when its repeated all the time it results in multiple or plural cases of offside

thanks for paying attention though and trying to be helpeful… maybe next time you will contribute something meaningful?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I'm not addressing the whole question about whether or not we should have this replay, but the part about how no advantage is gained by being a few inches over - then why do players do it all the time? It's a big negative to get goals potentially taken away but pros take the chance constantly when there is zero advantage? No chance that's true.

I guess the question is... is the advantage gained something that makes the difference in the goal... lets see if I can think of an example to you

lets say its a very good idea to chew your food 10 times before swallowing... and you are in a hurry so you chew it only 9 times and swallow. now lets say the food goes down, you don't choke... everything seems ok. did you gain any sort of unfair advantage? it can be assumed you might have chewed 10 or 11 times and the results could be the same. the food gets eaten. the advantage gained seems to be nominal in my example and the example as a whole is almost as stupid as the offside rule

now lets try example number 2. you swallow without chewing... now lets say you are in a food eating contest. you have bet your opponent first person to properly eat a sandwhich wins the prize... ok... so its stupid, but now you can see that not chewing your food 10 times actually will have an impact on the results. you have effectively cheated. you have broken a rule that matters. theres an unfair advantage. the amount of cheating is great enough it would offend anyones sense of justice if it goes uncorrected.

there has to be some sort of injustice that is being corrected. the amount of effect on the consequences has to be grievous to the point that letting it go uncorrected would offend the sensibilities of the fans. none of us want blantant cherry picking going on.

but we do love when our team makes some smart plays... creates some open space... starts to charge the opposing attack zone... generates a scoring chance.

microscoping the offside rule with 5 min long video reviews that are so close you cant tell even after 20 views of the film is just completely assanine

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
And, again, the review needs to be called for by the bench WITHOUT looking at the replay themselves.

If you can see it was a missed call with your eyes in real time, go for it. If it's not that obvious, you can risk challenging, but if you're wrong, it's a 2 min Delay of game penalty.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Same thing should be applied to goals. Why does the puck needs to completely crosses the line. If it's 2 inches to the goal, it should count.

At one point. You have to define limit and respect it. We can debate on having the skate on ice or not. But if you're offside. You're offside

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Same thing should be applied to goals. Why does the puck needs to completely crosses the line. If it's 2 inches to the goal, it should count.

At one point. You have to define limit and respect it. We can debate on having the skate on ice or not. But if you're offside. You're offside

I cant even respond to this... whoops I did. ok me idiot but only for bothering to respond

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I have no problem with inch offsides. If it’s offside then it is.

However what really grinds my gears is when you’re physically in the zone but your skateblade isn’t touching the ice, you’re somehow not in the zone. Like players skate with their skates glued to the ice.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
My issue with the "just get the call right" crowd is that they don't actually believe that we should get the calls right all the time, only that we should get them right when the spotlight is on due to a goal being scored.

No one seems to care if it was two inches offside the and defending team iced the puck due to the pressure or if they took a penalty due to the pressure despite those things having non-zero expected goals value.

Note: I'm fine with someone holding that attitude, I just want people to be honest about it and not hide behind "just get it right"

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
They should get rid of the video review. Linesmen can call blatant offsides well enough, and let close ones slide if they don't affect the play in a significant way. Up to their discretion.

I don't like the way they try and look at a grainy picture and try and make out whether an ice molecule was a thousandths of an inch to the left or not.

Can they though?

Reactions: Alex Jones

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Now that we have Coachs Challenge, refs should be way more lenient in when they call offsides. If it's extremely close, don't call it. Let the play continue. If there's a goal, a Challenge can be used. Most likely there won't be a goal and the only actual result is better pace of play and quicker game times.

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
Just stick a 10 second limit on it once the attacking team enters the zone.

The defending team has plenty of time in 10 seconds to reset and play defence. After that it’s irrelevant.

This.

Or even better, just skip the offside review all together, questionable penalites called or not called affects the game way more than offsides so close that refs need 10 minutes just to be sure. Too many breaks as it is with the commericials. If hockey is going to grow as a sport it must be appealing to the ignorant masses i.e it needs to be fast.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
So if two inches offside isn't a big deal let's just widen the blue line two inches.

But then we'll have people complaining about being 2 inches offside on the wider lines and we'll have to widen them two more inches.

Or perhaps well move to a system where if it doesn't look too bad it's not offside.
If a puck is two inches over the goal line, that's isn't a big deal so it isn't a goal. Rules are rules are rules are rules. Follow them or the whistle will blow.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
How about changing a paint of the blue lines in way nobody can truly see where are it's edges. In a middle of the line it's indeed as blue as always been, but then its color changes without any visible borders more and more transparent to both directions to a degree you cannot anymore see it and make difference from the ice. Meanwhile abolish stupid video reviews and offside challenges. Problem solved.

If nobody can accurately determine and be sure is some situation offside or not, then the problem goes away. Refs, players and audience will anyway see when there are true, harsh offside situation, but in those cases when it's not 100% clear, refs won't stop the game as they truly cannot make that call. No interruptions to game flow, no arbitrary decisions minutes after the happening. Win-win, as it would work both teams the same.

:sarcasm::D

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
briere-offside.jpg

If it means we don’t get these goals anymore I’m cool with heavy offside enforcement.
This missed call swung that entire series. Pens don't give up a 3-0 lead in the 3rd of game 1 and their brains don't melt in game 2 and blow another lead.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
unfortunately I only remember how much it angers me when its against my bruins. I don't want to be a homer and only post when my bruins are being screwed.

the thing is... I am smart enough to realize in an 82 game schedule it would balance out. the other team will get nailed for just as many crappy offside calls as my bruins. so this isn't about my caring that the bruins get a goal called back. I don't feel anyone is out to get us. in fact, I usually agree on the reviews that the play was offside.

what my entire complaint is... who cares??? how does a guy being 2 inches offside actually give a team any sort of UNFAIR advantage? how does it pollute the intent of the game?

the offside rule was put into place to prevent 'cheating'
its there to stop players from being obviously in the attacking zone when the puck is not there.

I don't mind if the linesman totally brain cramps and makes a grievous mistake that costs a goal... that should be reviewable. but if it requires more than 1 single video review to determin if its offside THEN IT DOESNT MATTER.

and if the play was going on for like more than a minute and the defense even had a chance to touch the puck and couldn't get it out... then IT DOESNT MATTER

the league keeps saying they are desperate to add more scoring to the game for the fans... but how the hell does calling back goals because they were 2 inches offside add more excitement for the fans???

we cant even cheer when our team scores now because we are always worried the goal is being called back. and even if its the other team getting called back how is that worthy of being cheered? our team still allowed a goal. winning by a technicality sucks. getting a goal called back for such a pointless stupid reason is not a good reason to cheer.

the league needs to bring in new off-side challenge rules and if the offside didn't measurably create an unfair advantage for the scoring team than it needs to be eliminated. we want to see more high speed rushes that result in offense. that's what sells the tickets

There is not more or less scoring if the goal is allowed or not. You saw the game live and it was a goal. Whether it comes back or not, it's the same game. The same thing happens to goaltender's equipment. Whether the game ends 8-7 or 3-2, if it's because goalies are smaller, the game itself is the same.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
There is not more or less scoring if the goal is allowed or not. You saw the game live and it was a goal. Whether it comes back or not, it's the same game. The same thing happens to goaltender's equipment. Whether the game ends 8-7 or 3-2, if it's because goalies are smaller, the game itself is the same.

best way to encourage fans to buy tickets to your event... every time something good happens, disallow it. say it never occurred

I mean it worked great in tv when dallas said their entire season was bobbys dream. that didn't p!$$ any of their fans off.

when movies get retroconned out of continuality or comic books completely rewrite a characts history... it only makes the old stories even better right?

if you asked me to tell you the 10 greatest goals I ever saw that were waved off for offside... im sure I have at least 1 locked in my memory

or not?

honestly things that p!$$ me off are things I attempt to forget right away... but the bad taste lingers on and on and has me posting about it. and next time my team scories im going to be please please please don't let it be offside.

hell... I often shout at the tv after goals 'challenge that one suckers.'

it is on my mind now every freaking time a goal is scored. if I wasn't already a lifetime fans... if I was just picking a sport to follow today... I wouldn't be picking a sport that is calling back goals this frequently. there are other sports that are a lot more exciting for kids to follow. hockey better look out or its going to go the way the dodo bird when the current audience dies off.

I mean hockey was always a sport that cant cross over globally due to expense to play it and the need for ice. its going to always lag far being the big 4 team sports for popularity {yeah soccor is coming to north America and will be passing hockey for popularity too} and then you add in these extreme sports the kids enjoy...

no wonder nhl is embracing gambling today... it needs all the help it can get to claw hold onto their piece of the pie

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The idea that whether an advantage is gained or not determines if a play is offside is outrageous. That in it self would create far more discussion and controversy. Having a rule as black and white as possible is the right way to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->